• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My way (DIY JBL)

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I am trying to calibrate my projector (an old Samsung A800b from 2009) but I got some problems. Maybe @amirm can help me here?

I am using a colorimeter (x-rite i1 display pro) and measuring software (HCFR).

This projector has an kind of semi-automatic calibration function. You should measure red, green, blue, and white (d65) from internal test patterns in the projector, and then enter those values into a calibration table in the service-menu. Then the projector calibrates itself into almost perfection. That is how it is supposed to work.

When I measure the internal test patterns on my screen, I get this values for Red as an example (xyY):

HCFR
Red x 0.6540
Red y 0.3375
Red Y (cd/m2) 14.772
Red Y (ftL) 4.2928

Then when I look into the calibration table in the Samsung-projector, there is already values like this:

SAMSUNG A800B
Red_X 652
Red_Y 340
Red_L 638

I do not get how to map these values. I do not get what units the projector wants.
For x and y it seems to match if I multiply the value from HCFR with 1000.
For luminance (L), I do not get it. How to map the value Y in HCFR to L in the Samsung?

Anyone here knowledgeable of this kind of stuff?

Attachments

• 6EF6B1A3-B438-41DE-BC23-E155E0ECAE70.jpeg
    6EF6B1A3-B438-41DE-BC23-E155E0ECAE70.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 100
  • mäta.png
    mäta.png
    301.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to calibrate my projector (an old Samsung A800b from 2009) but I got some problems. Maybe @amirm can help me here?

I am using a colorimeter (x-rite i1 display pro) and measuring software (HCFR).

This projector has an kind of semi-automatic calibration function. You should measure red, green, blue, and white (d65) from internal test patterns in the projector, and then enter those values into a calibration table in the service-menu. Then the projector calibrates itself into almost perfection. That is how it is supposed to work.

When I measure the internal test patterns on my screen, I get this values for Red as an example (xyY):

HCFR
Red x 0.6540
Red y 0.3375
Red Y (cd/m2) 14.772
Red Y (ftL) 4.2928

Then when I look into the calibration table in the Samsung-projector, there is already values like this:

SAMSUNG A800B
Red_X 652
Red_Y 340
Red_L 638

I do not get how to map these values. I do not get what units the projector wants.
For x and y it seems to match if I multiply the value from HCFR with 1000.
For luminance (L), I do not get it. How to map the value Y in HCFR to L in the Samsung?

Anyone here knowledgeable of this kind of stuff?
I'm no expert in calibrating projectors but I note one thing: If the calibration process works as you write than I would assume that the Samsung first has to set into its default state (not calibrated). Then you should measure the colors and transfer the correction values into the Samsung.

Regarding the transfer of those numbers - sorry, I don't know XYL, only RGB.

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I'm no expert in calibrating projectors but I note one thing: If the calibration process works as you write than I would assume that the Samsung first has to set into its default state (not calibrated). Then you should measure the colors and transfer the correction values into the Samsung.

Regarding the transfer of those numbers - sorry, I don't know XYL, only RGB.

Yes, I realised that myself yesterday also :) So I will have to measure again. But still the problem how to transfer that luminance into the projector. But maybe measuring without calibration activated might give other luminance values that fits better.

Top Bottom