• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Topping E70 is defective. Skipping issue

Roland68

Major Contributor
The DAC inside my speakers has no problem. Other DACs I used thru the years had no problem also. So it's a problem whose solution is extremely viable.
Then everything is actually fine and the solution to the problem is very simple.
The E70 doesn't work as it should for you, just get another DAC from another company. In addition to all the DACs tested at ASR, there are many more on the market.

Tobii_73

I have exactly the same problem with my dx3 pro+ hooked up to my pc using the topping firmware
If i unstall the firmware the skipping dissapears.
I retried it 3x and same skipping with the firmware and no skipping without the firmware.
Does anyone know what causes this problem?
I just wanted teh software to reduce the input lag with the buffer size (does it have a impact in gaming?)

OP
H

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have exactly the same problem with my dx3 pro+ hooked up to my pc using the topping firmware
If i unstall the firmware the skipping dissapears.
I retried it 3x and same skipping with the firmware and no skipping without the firmware.
Does anyone know what causes this problem?
I just wanted teh software to reduce the input lag with the buffer size (does it have a impact in gaming?)

Very probably the lag is extremely minimal. I doubt it is beyond 5ms (what would require 200fps to matter) and some godly reflexes from you.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well...

I just got an E70 for testing today (question is: will I keep one or not as a reference DAC/tone generator).

It just can't handle PCM 2.0 signal out of my LG OLED C2. Skipping every few seconds. Last time I experienced this was with a Peachtree Nova 300 several years ago. I tested a ton of products with a toslink input since and none has this kind of issue. Not to mention I use my Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 everyday with optical out of my TV (obviously) flawlessly.

That's a shame. I personally won't bother, since this is just a testing/experiment device AFAIC. But, for a regular customer (toslink from TV is somewhat extremely common use case), I just say: avoid. To me, it is another proof that Topping do not even test their products in real life conditions. Better release 9 DACs a year in order to achieve 0.5dB extra SINAD, apparently...

Roland68

Major Contributor
Well...

I just got an E70 for testing today (question is: will I keep one or not as a reference DAC/tone generator).

It just can't handle PCM 2.0 signal out of my LG OLED C2. Skipping every few seconds. Last time I experienced this was with a Peachtree Nova 300 several years ago. I tested a ton of products with a toslink input since and none has this kind of issue. Not to mention I use my Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 everyday with optical out of my TV (obviously) flawlessly.

That's a shame. I personally won't bother, since this is just a testing/experiment device AFAIC. But, for a regular customer (toslink from TV is somewhat extremely common use case), I just say: avoid. To me, it is another proof that Topping do not even test their products in real life conditions. Better release 9 DACs a year in order to achieve 0.5dB extra SINAD, apparently...
It's a good thing that this only affects the Topping E70 and cannot be due to the LG's non-standard optical/SPDIF signal.
No problem with LG optical
More

My Sony DSC-88 could not do anything with the signal on 2 LG TVs either, although the part is very insensitive.
btw, does your LG C2 have the latest firmware installed? From time to time LG also fixes errors.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
btw, does your LG C2 have the latest firmware installed?
Indeed.;)
It's a good thing that this only affects the Topping E70 and cannot be due to the LG's non-standard optical/SPDIF signal.
Yes, I know... But what else to say when this is the only DAC on hands having this issue, not to mention it is just released and costs 400€? Why (any of) my other DACs managed to deal with LG optical output so far? Even a 159€ Loxjie A30 amp works just fine under the same conditions... I have a friend who uses a 12 years old Denon AVR-1910 through his LG B1 toslink out and has zero issue with it.
Is this problem limited to optical or TV's?
Limited to toslink/TV. My CD transport works fine with Coax.

OP
H

Human Bass

Well...

Welcome to the club, misery loves company.

What bothers me is how dead silent Topping is about this issue. It's downright absurd that cheap and ancient dacs dont have this issue while Topping takes an eternity to patch it.

Vladetz

Have anyone tested e70 with 1.04 firmware? Btw my e50 works flawlessly with 2018 LG tv (43uk6710)

Adaboy4z

The LG tv we bought 9 years ago, still in use in the garage, had problems constantly dropping signal with HDMI. IT had two HMI ports and I was constantly switching as one would just stop working. I tried different cables also. Maybe an LG issue...

OP
H

Human Bass

If any mod can edit the thread title with a *issue fixed* or something like that, it would be fair to the good work Topping did.

Overseas

Major Contributor
So no plug n play, though. I mean, I have an E30, never updated, works fine with any input.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LG tv we bought 9 years ago, still in use in the garage, had problems constantly dropping signal with HDMI. IT had two HMI ports and I was constantly switching as one would just stop working. I tried different cables also. Maybe an LG issue...
I connected my Samsung QN55Q80 TV through optical. I bought the TV end of 2021 it has latest updates and the E70 has the same issue. I streamed Quboz through it and it skipped every couple of seconds. This isn't something I use so I doubt I bother with the new firmware usless they officially release it on their site. I was just curious if it was only LG as it seemed that was the TV mostly referenced, I never noticed Samsung being mentioned but I might have missed it.

OP
H

Human Bass

I connected my Samsung QN55Q80 TV through optical. I bought the TV end of 2021 it has latest updates and the E70 has the same issue. I streamed Quboz through it and it skipped every couple of seconds. This isn't something I use so I doubt I bother with the new firmware usless they officially release it on their site. I was just curious if it was only LG as it seemed that was the TV mostly referenced, I never noticed Samsung being mentioned but I might have missed it.
Have you tried the new firmware? Totally fixed the issue here. I didnt even need to go to 15, 10 already did the trick.

Top Bottom