• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Star Wars journey, lets say. Spoilers, beware.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm so selfish: These days, if a novel or movie begins to feel frustrating or tedious rather than enjoyable, I move onto something else. Wish there were more science fiction that wasn't so dystopian. "Tomorrowland" was fun, if light 'n fluffy exception. Haven't gotten around to watching the last couple of Star Wars movies, don't know if or when I will. I thought the SW franchise was already stretched a bit thin when they turned the original into a trilogy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wish there were more science fiction that wasn't so dystopian.
When you have to resort to using fancy words like that to describe a SciFi flick written for an age bracket of 8-80 your out of the proper demographic for it's intended audience.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, so much scifi is dystopian. I remember growing up that wasn't the norm. There was some of course, but not the norm. I also notice if you read a few Korean or Chinese sci fi tales they aren't that way. They remind me of when I was young. When things had gotten a lot better vs the past, and boy just wait the future is going to be an even bigger improvement. Makes me think western culture has some sort of problem and lacks confidence in itself the way it used to have.

In most ways that count the world has gotten and is getting better.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I lost enthusiasm for Star Wars after The Force Awakens, which IMHO felt so tired, like they had run out of ideas and were just going through the motions, rehashing a lot of concepts from the original trilogy (Empire->First Order, Death Star->Starkiller, etc.).

BUT I have to say, I love the Mandalorian. So many of the elements just echo the kind of things that drew you in to the original trilogy. Remember when Jedi were "knights" (not just action hero politicians with glowing weapons) and had some kind of mysterious culture that was just hinted at? The Mandalorian is a totally different type of person than the Jedi, but the helmet and armor just feels like an old-school knight, and they hint at interesting bits of a complex culture (the "Armorer" as a kind of high priest/priestess) mixed with small little elements that remind you of old cowboy movies (learning how to ride, shootouts in the town square, etc.), the dark cowboy with a checkered past who comes around to doing the right thing but still has enough of an edge to dispatch retribution to those who cross him.

There's a big budget Chinese sci-fi movie that recently came out called "The Wandering Earth" that's kind of interesting, a mix of Michael Bayish action with a very different cultural approach. Goes on a little too long, but different enough to merit watching if you have the time.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must admit I love the Expanse, yes you still have to suspend a certain amount of logic but there is a gritty plausibility to the show and the story is genuinely original and keeps you on your toes. Good solid acting, three dimensional characters which avoid falling into being simple heroes or villains (well, maybe apart from Errinwright) and good production values. Splendid stuff, the Amos and Avasarala characters are great!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Katee Sackoff is looking good in Netflix SciFi series, Another Life
In October they renewed it for a second season
Anxious awaiting. ;)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The last Star Wars movie that I've seen to date was Force Awakens, and I thought the introduction of the Rey and Finn characters was great, and maybe it would've been a more enjoyable movie if they just focused on these new characters and their story. The series started off as more of a lighthearted space romp, and IMO worked best as such.

I may have to check out some of the above suggestions, but lately I feel inundated with worthy programs on Netflix: So many possibilities, so little time.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same same for the Star Trek franchise, I hear they have kissed and made up any issues there were with Chris Pine, I sure hope so. Dang it Chris, just shut up and act, that's your job, to produce product for the fans. Don't get all prima-donna'd out and whine about getting pigeon-holed or whatever. You make millions of dollars for play-acting like we did as little kids for fun.
These actors and producers give me a big PITA

You can say that again.

I think by now he might have noticed he's not getting big movie lead roles. His biggest (and perhaps best) role other than ST was his supporting role in Wonder Woman. Maybe he's decided he needs to work to get the next ST movie, not wait to have it offered to him.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BUT I have to say, I love the Mandalorian. So many of the elements just echo the kind of things that drew you in to the original trilogy. Remember when Jedi were "knights" (not just action hero politicians with glowing weapons) and had some kind of mysterious culture that was just hinted at? The Mandalorian is a totally different type of person than the Jedi, but the helmet and armor just feels like an old-school knight, and they hint at interesting bits of a complex culture (the "Armorer" as a kind of high priest/priestess) mixed with small little elements that remind you of old cowboy movies (learning how to ride, shootouts in the town square, etc.), the dark cowboy with a checkered past who comes around to doing the right thing but still has enough of an edge to dispatch retribution to those who cross him.

Another vote for The Mandalorian! The difference, of course, is Jon Favreau. So we have a great creative writer/director who grew up with IV and V coming out when he was a teenager. To me, The Mandalorian seems to be written and directed by a smart Star Wars fan who gets what it is all about.

My hope is that Disney will offer Favreau a contract for a series of movies. Best person I can think of, IMO. And he's probably looking for something else now after Marvel.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Katee Sackoff is looking good in Netflix SciFi series, Another Life
In October they renewed it for a second season
Anxious awaiting. ;)
I was just thinking about this and wondering what's up with season 2?
I can't find any hard info, Netflix still says "It's Official, coming soon"
https://www.netflix.com/title/80236236
I suppose it's the covid deal screwing things up.
Dang this virus to h-ll. :mad:

Top Bottom