• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My review of Topping D10

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Organic, like organic tomatoes?

Hemicrusher

Have been using my D10 for a week straight and am really liking the sound. There is a very very slight distortion in the treble, which I actually like and wonder if this is the Sabre DAC sound. Maybe it is the opamp, or whatever, but I find the sound very detailed. I have a few DAC's and this one is definitely on the brighter end, which is a plus.

έχω δίκιο

Hi Krunok i'm an absolute beginner regarding Raspberry Pi 3 B+. What sort of OS do i have to install read somthing like NOOBs on top Windows?.
For me it is important that for instance at statrup Volumio or Foobar2000 is started automaticly and i can use my android phone as a remote control. So basicly i don't want to use a screen only to install the OS.
I'm running Volumio on a Raspberry Pi 3. You just download the image, burn it to an SDHC card, insert it into the pi, and apply power. The image contains the entire pre-configured Linux as well as the Volumio sever app. It just comes right up. If memory serves, I never hooked a screen, mouse, or keyboard to it.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Have been using my D10 for a week straight and am really liking the sound. There is a very very slight distortion in the treble, which I actually like and wonder if this is the Sabre DAC sound.

No, it isn't. As @amirm measurements showed there is no hearable distortion in the treble coming from D10. ;)

TBone

Major Contributor
Curious ... which opamps r used in this DAC?

έχω δίκιο

Hmmmm....You are welcome to borrow my ears anytime you would like to. Until then, I'll stick by my opinion.

Perhaps there is something amiss with your Topping D10, since the one Amir tested showed a ruler-flat response and inaudible levels of distortion throughout the audio spectrum..

Curious ... which opamps r used in this DAC?

One OPA2134.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Perhaps there is something amiss with your Topping D10, since the one Amir tested showed a ruler-flat response and inaudible levels of distortion throughout the audio spectrum..

One OPA2134.

There's actually 3 of them, but only one is swappable. Unfortunately that one does the least critical work - filtering of HF.

Timbo2

There's actually 3 of them, but only one is swappable. Unfortunately that one does the least critical work - filtering of HF.

As Maxwell Smart said, “Missed it by this much...” :facepalm:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Latest version of Volumio runs smoothly without any issues. I went with Volumio rather than with Moode only because installation procedure was easier. AFAIK both of them use the same audio libraries.

I think Roon doesn't natively support playing to UPnP device but it can do it via UPnP bridge like SonoreUPnP Bridge: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sonoreupnp-bridge-beta/15698
There are Roon Bridge builds for the pi to be used as an end point. Mine has been running flawlessly for several years.

I haven't used this one but looks good. You will be up and running in minutes.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ropieee-beginners-guide/36844

http://codexwilkes.com/downloads/ropieee-guide-for-beginners.pdf 757

Last edited:

Hemicrusher

Probably how things sound with my system. Source, Amp, Speakers/Headphones would sound different depending how the DAC tests. If a DAC is rolling off the highs, then a flat DAC would allow the highs to sound different.......What I am saying is that the D10 in my system makes highs sound crisper.....

Nothing is amiss....I just feel my system sounds better to me with the D10 in the chain....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I just feel my system sounds better to me with the D10 in the chain....

That is the case with most of us when we add something good and new to the system. I even feel my car goes better when I change the air filter. :D
But technically speaking, that is not the case.

Hemicrusher

That is the case with most of us when we add something good and new to the system. I even feel my car goes better when I change the air filter. :D
But technically speaking, that is not the case.

Yanny vs Laurel

Top Bottom