• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Review of the 32-ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

noahy

Hi!

I am not very well-versed in critical listening and testing audio equipment, but I recently got a new pair of headphones (the ones in the topic line) -- and thought I'd write about my impressions after a few weeks of using them. I did work in a hi-fi store for some time so have a little bit of experience with more expensive headphones as well. I've owned quite a few pairs of headphones over the years with very different sound profiles.

These headphones are extremely high-resolution for the price, i.e. have a very fast driver speed.
It is probably difficult to find higher-resolution headphones in the same price range.
They are durable, have high build quality, very comfortable and good sound isolation.
One complaint are the exposed cords between the headband and the drivers, which are thin.

They are very V-shaped in frequency response, meaning prominent bass and (very) prominent highs.
This creates a somewhat screamy sound, with very high details and clarity.
The mids are very noticeably recessed, to an awkward extent.
The bass is very pleasant and I doubt it's too much for most people, although it certainly is higher than neutral, especially in the mid-/upper bass area (~100-150 Hz).

The high build quality, clear highs and defined bass make it an excellent technological spectacle for the price paid.
It also makes it relatively easy to EQ the headphones to further improve the frequency response and sound profile.
The following equalization matches my liking and definition of “neutral” (which varies, of course, between person and person and isn’t always precise):

1669435086564.png

Here are my two Peace EQ presets (put them in the EqualizerAPO/config folder), one with Crossfeed and one without:

With Crossfeed (compensates for coloration by the CF to sound as transparent as possible): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1597Koxt87s8M9OwvUsIFxVE9Nua2NBqK/view?usp=share_link

Without Crossfeed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CAJys9bdv6XW9eaUkICYCYRVu_MVRUdm/view?usp=share_link

Those presets are a further fine-tuned version of the picture above.

I hope this helps or is interesting to you somehow.

Best regards,
Noah :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 60987

Hi!

I am not very well-versed in critical listening and testing audio equipment, but I recently got a new pair of headphones (the ones in the topic line) -- and thought I'd write about my impressions after a few weeks of using them. I did work in a hi-fi store for some time so have a little bit of experience with more expensive headphones as well. I've owned quite a few pairs of headphones over the years with very different sound profiles.

These headphones are extremely high-resolution for the price, i.e. have a very fast driver speed.
It is probably difficult to find higher-resolution headphones in the same price range.
They are durable, have high build quality, very comfortable and good sound isolation.
One complaint are the exposed cords between the headband and the drivers, which are thin.

They are very V-shaped in frequency response, meaning prominent bass and (very) prominent highs.
This creates a somewhat screamy sound, with very high details and clarity.
The mids are very noticeably recessed, to an awkward extent.
The bass is very pleasant and I doubt it's too much for most people, although it certainly is higher than neutral, especially in the mid-/upper bass area (~100-150 Hz).

The high build quality, clear highs and defined bass make it an excellent technological spectacle for the price paid.
It also makes it relatively easy to EQ the headphones to further improve the frequency response and sound profile.
The following equalization matches my liking and definition of “neutral” (which varies, of course, between person and person and isn’t always precise):

View attachment 246017

Here are my two Peace EQ presets (put them in the EqualizerAPO/config folder), one with Crossfeed and one without:

With Crossfeed (compensates for coloration by the CF to sound as transparent as possible): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1597Koxt87s8M9OwvUsIFxVE9Nua2NBqK/view?usp=share_link

Without Crossfeed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CAJys9bdv6XW9eaUkICYCYRVu_MVRUdm/view?usp=share_link

Those presets are a further fine-tuned version of the picture above.

I hope this helps or is interesting to you somehow.

Best regards,
Noah :)
I have the 80 ohm but always found them underwhelming. Might have to do with the drop in low frequency around the drum and bass area. That said, I still use them in my front 4 hooked to the multitrack along with MDR 7506, M50X and Superlux 681 for vocals. Maybe I just have to get used to the 770s. I wish I knew they came in 32. I would of picked them up. The 80 take some juice to power them. But the 770s and M50X are recommended so often I figure there must be something to it. For casual listening it's impossible to say what's good or bad because it is so subjective. I only look at them from a mixing point of view. Will 770 make me turn up the bass and drums to compensate for that dip?

Top Bottom