• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Problem With Inexpensive Electronics

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Wes you probably don't care, but I will take honesty over hypersensitivity on this one.
I believe that experience as a mechanic (otherwise known as empirical knowledge) has something to say here as to the reliability of parts (having nothing to do with ethnicity or other unrelated things). Prior to Ford changing Jaguars electrical/electronics/computers to Robert Bosch because of the unreliability of Lucas Electrical systems Jags & other British cars had a reputation for wonky electricals. Why? Because they were wonky, Same with the Italian Ferrari's (& hence Fiats) and Marelli electrical systems. Why did this happen? We can only surmise that the cost cutters won against the engineers in these companies. And decided that if it 's good enough to make it through the warranty, then it is good enough. Even though it is the auto manufactures reputation on the line, they apparently did not demand better from their suppliers. So, if you say that the electrical systems on that era of British or Italian cars were not very good: that would be true and correct. But to say that the people of that country didn't understand electricity, that is another thing. But I'm guessing that it is not about hypersensitivity, it's just the way it was worded. Because most of us are not programed to think like we say. and we say it the way we do, not to do any harm but because it takes a much longer explanation to say it completely correctly.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I believe that experience as a mechanic (otherwise known as empirical knowledge) has something to say here as to the reliability of parts (having nothing to do with ethnicity or other unrelated things). Prior to Ford changing Jaguars electrical/electronics/computers to Robert Bosch because of the unreliability of Lucas Electrical systems Jags & other British cars had a reputation for wonky electricals. Why? Because they were wonky, Same with the Italian Ferrari's (& hence Fiats) and Marelli electrical systems. Why did this happen? We can only surmise that the cost cutters won against the engineers in these companies. And decided that if it 's good enough to make it through the warranty, then it is good enough. Even though it is the auto manufactures reputation on the line, they apparently did not demand better from their suppliers. So, if you say that the electrical systems on that era of British or Italian cars were not very good: that would be true and correct. But to say that the people of that country didn't understand electricity, that is another thing. But I'm guessing that it is not about hypersensitivity, it's just the way it was worded. Because most of us are not programed to think like we say. and we say it the way we do, not to do any harm but because it takes a much longer explanation to say it completely correctly.
Agree. No way Wes is racist against Germans, and we can take his personal experience at face value if we really want to see accurately. No reason to get butt-hurt here. Not only that, but his personal experience is a potentially valuable data point. (Lets just say I am one of the smartest people I have ever met and @Wes beat me in an arguement once.)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree. No way Wes is racist against Germans, and we can take his personal experience at face value if we really want to see accurately. No reason to get butt-hurt here. Not only that, but his personal experience is a potentially valuable data point. (Lets just say I am one of the smartest people I have ever met and @Wes beat me in an arguement once.)
Many general or foreign car (not brand specific) mechanics used to say that Britt's drank warm beer because of the unreliability of the Joseph Lucas companies refrigerators. True or not, the longest running refrigerators in Britain today (according to some reports that I saw in the past week) were not manufactured By Lucas. And I'd drink my beer warm to if the blasted refrigerator wasn't working. So do many in many places. If they offer to have a beer with me, I'll take them up on that offer. I am conceived in the U.S. (some of my family came to the U.S. well before the unpleasantness of the not so civil war, they also left the U.S. before that event, to come back again in the 1870's), born in Austria. My father was a WWII VET & family that was American, German, Scottish and Irish. My mother was born in Austria, is a survivor of Hitler, with Austrian, Italian & many other backgrounds. Having travelled to most of the places involved numerous times + England, France, The former Yugoslavia, Switzerland, Belgium, Thailand, Singapore, Guam, Saipan, Chuuk, Korea, China, Japan, Okinawa, Australia, Sri Lanka, Kuwait as a mechanic on anything that has wheels or tracks, there is always something to say about some countries product. As long as we all understand that those statements are not inferring that the people of that country (or ethnicity) are stupid, it's all good. UNFORTUNATELY there are some (who seem to be intentionally accusatory or who don't have any worldly experience or simply like to stir the pot & control others) who infer otherwise.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I must have some German blood and at least one French woman told me I look German. She was from Alsace so I took it as compliment.

Every culture has some pluses and some minuses, so enjoy the mechanical competence if not the food...

Reminds me of that Heaven & Hell joke about Europe...

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I asked the question and my somewhat tongue-in-cheek response was to your comment that "Miele are sold everywhere people can afford them". I may have misunderstood your response, as it came off as a bit elitist to my blue-collar brain.
I was making a comment on the reality of life in a globalized, capitalist world. If there are enough people with disposable income to make a market viable, a company like Miele will be there.

pLudio

Forum Donor
You may lookup the history of Siemens & Halske.

Siemens-Schuckertwerke in Fort de Mutzig.

IMG_20180907_114425.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was making a comment on the reality of life in a globalized, capitalist world. If there are enough people with disposable income to make a market viable, a company like Miele will be there.
Got it-I just misunderstood. My bad. You're right-if we will pony up for the cost of the item and the exorbitant shipping costs they will sell it for sure. I will have to look for their appliances next time I'm in Best Buy.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I was able to solve the power issue (the same basics that work with all non-computer controlled engines that I have worked on since I was 14 (before that I was just trying to make them run), at 14 I decided on trying to make them run as the engineers may have intended if the bean counters did not stop them. ... 2 examples are my 1971 VW Super Beetle which went from 48 HP to 105 HP ...
I did adjust the carbs on that bike (1 size bigger mains, raised the needles a bit), which eliminated the lean surging and smoothed the torque curve. But it didn't make the kind of huge difference you allude to above.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did adjust the carbs on that bike (1 size bigger mains, raised the needles a bit), which eliminated the lean surging and smoothed the torque curve. But it didn't make the kind of huge difference you allude to above.
CB550F0 (1975); Candy Sapphire Blue I did not adjust, I ported the heads, changed cylinders, cams, carbs, and exhaust completely on my 1975 550. When I was done, it would run with a 750 if you were riding solo (also I was 155 Lb, not the 243 that I am now). 2 up it didn't have enough torque accelerate out of the corners hard enough to keep up with the 750 riding 2 up. The 900 was a result of what people like us were already doing to the
750's.
1613943312601.png

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CB550F0 (1975); Candy Sapphire Blue I did not adjust, I ported the heads, changed cylinders, cams, carbs, and exhaust completely on my 1975 550. When I was done, it would run with a 750 if you were riding solo (also I was 155 Lb, not the 243 that I am now). 2 up it didn't have enough torque accelerate out of the corners hard enough to keep up with the 750 riding 2 up. The 900 was a result of what people like us were already doing to the
750's.
View attachment 114031
I forgot to mention that since 1975 this motorcycle has followed an evolutionary path somewhat per Darwin.

MRC01

Major Contributor
What a great restoration job! As I mentioned earlier, the problem with the 550 and smaller bikes is the chain drive from crankshaft to clutch. That primary drive chain will eventually stretch and need replacing, which means splitting the case.
The 750 was gear driven from crankshaft to clutch, so it can last "forever" for all practical purposes.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a great restoration job! As I mentioned earlier, the problem with the 550 and smaller bikes is the chain drive from crankshaft to clutch. That primary drive chain will eventually stretch and need replacing, which means splitting the case.
The 750 was gear driven from crankshaft to clutch, so it can last "forever" for all practical purposes.
True enough, For durability, accuracy, the gear drives are the best.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, fact is that Miele has a very good reputation regarding longevity, and the customers pay for that. [..]

We mentioned that we would prefer Miele because our 1992 vintage Miele washing machine was still working fine with no repair yet (and still does today after 28 years of trouble free service - knock on wood).
Yesterday our Miele Novotronioc W921 washing machine stopped working:( - after 30 years and 5 months of trouble free service, including one move between flats :). Power on fails to show anything on display. I checked the power (OK) and the power switch (OK) so its either something in the electronics or the door switch. Since spair parts are at least €100 I decided to let it rest in its well earned peace.

Today we ordered a new Miele. It was cheaper than the old one (even without regarding 30 years of inflation), yet still has the same feature set (and more) and conforms to the best class (A) regarding energy consumption. I'm wonderung if I will survive it if it works 30 years as well ...

MRC01

Major Contributor
Well, fact is that Miele has a very good reputation regarding longevity, and the customers pay for that. Many people here know parents or older relatives or friends who own a 30 year old Miele washing machine in good working condition.

I don't know whether this reputation is still valid. ...
My prior house, I bought from the people who built it and it was only 6 years old. It had a Miele dishwasher. It looked fancy but it never worked well. Simply didn't get dishes clean, no matter what we did. Checked water pressure, temperature, etc. all were fine. It worked, but it just didn't work well. We replaced it with a Kenmore which was a fraction of the price and actually got the dishes clean.

At that time my wife had a Miele canister vacuum, one of the top line most expensive ones. The power head never worked right, Miele had a recall so we got that replaced. Then it started spontaneously shutting itself off while she was using it. Out of warranty so I took it apart. The power supply pins on the circuit board were brownish, blackish burnt and the solder was melted. The components weren't built to handle the high power that the motor draws. I had to resolder it every 6-12 months to restore function. Then the power head that we had replaced under recall started failing again. I took it apart to discover really cheap internal construction, it was assembled with too-short wires that were stretched and had disconnected, so I replaced them with longer wires. That got it working again.

After about 10 years of that vacuum my wife got a new one, another Miele. Against my advice, but she's the one who uses it so it's her choice. This one has been much better. 10 years later it's been trouble free.

That's a long way of saying Miele is 1 for 3 with me. My impression is overpriced yuppie junk, but my wife likes it. I hope you have better luck with it!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it relative. I bought a A30Pro. Not huge money but considering I never thought I’d buy a headphone amp it was still a hefty expense.

Thanks COVID.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My prior house, I bought from the people who built it and it was only 6 years old. It had a Miele dishwasher. It looked fancy but it never worked well. Simply didn't get dishes clean, no matter what we did. Checked water pressure, temperature, etc. all were fine. It worked, but it just didn't work well. We replaced it with a Kenmore which was a fraction of the price and actually got the dishes clean.

At that time my wife had a Miele canister vacuum, one of the top line most expensive ones. The power head never worked right, Miele had a recall so we got that replaced. Then it started spontaneously shutting itself off while she was using it. Out of warranty so I took it apart. The power supply pins on the circuit board were brownish, blackish burnt and the solder was melted. The components weren't built to handle the high power that the motor draws. I had to resolder it every 6-12 months to restore function. Then the power head that we had replaced under recall started failing again. I took it apart to discover really cheap internal construction, it was assembled with too-short wires that were stretched and had disconnected, so I replaced them with longer wires. That got it working again.

After about 10 years of that vacuum my wife got a new one, another Miele. Against my advice, but she's the one who uses it so it's her choice. This one has been much better. 10 years later it's been trouble free.

That's a long way of saying Miele is 1 for 3 with me. My impression is overpriced yuppie junk, but my wife likes it. I hope you have better luck with it!
I hope as well. Never had a Miele vacuum cleaner, but our Miele dishwasher is now also some 10 years old and has never made any trouble. Miele claims that they test their washing machines for 10,000 hours, for 20 years usage. We will see ...

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We bought Fisher & Paykel. The dishwasher is dual drawer and for the most of part I can service them myself. Oven same brand I can’t service and it’s been repaired 3 times.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
We bought Fisher & Paykel. The dishwasher is dual drawer and for the most of part I can service them myself.

Oh dear, see my post here:

Jmsent

I've owned 2 Miele dishwashers, and have relatives and friends who own them as well. We all agree that these dishwashers do an incredibly good job of cleaning dishes. Reviews of these machine say the same thing. I have no idea why yours wasn't doing the job, but one report of a poor result is hardly proof that the entire brand is overpriced junk. Same for the vacs. We have 2 Miele canisters, and both are now around 20yrs old. No problems with either one, other than normal maintenance on the power heads, removing pet fur wrapped around the rollers.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've owned 2 Miele dishwashers, and have relatives and friends who own them as well. We all agree that these dishwashers do an incredibly good job of cleaning dishes. Reviews of these machine say the same thing. I have no idea why yours wasn't doing the job, but one report of a poor result is hardly proof that the entire brand is overpriced junk. Same for the vacs. We have 2 Miele canisters, and both are now around 20yrs old. No problems with either one, other than normal maintenance on the power heads, removing pet fur wrapped around the rollers.
My experience too.
Our Miele appliances have both been excellent at doing the assigned job and exrtemely relaible.
The second hand one in a bought house must have been faulty in some way.

Top Bottom