• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Personal Audio Path

Redver

Hi Guys and Gals, I grew up in the UK and my first personal equipment was a very small transistor radio that i used to listen to Radio Caroline under the sheets in bed, it was illegal to actually listen to pirate radio stations for a while, I was 11 then, it was 1965. I started work aged 15 and my first couple of pay packets went to Mike Eagleton who had just opened a hifi shop in my home town of Marlow, Bucks.

I purchased a Garrard SP25 Mk3, a Rotel RA610 and Wharfedale Linton speakers, i later upgraded to Mordaunt Short speakers. There was never any discussions then about compression etc that often grace the pages here. It was just music and it sounded good then to my young ears, going to the many, many concerts, IOW, Reading, Wheely etc, etc, I was lucky enough to see the best of the bands in my era. That though started the decline of my hearing. A list of groups would bore you.

I joined the RAF in 1977 and Jet engines and general noise did more damage for the next 18 years. Whilst serving in Germany these new fangled things came out, CD's so i sold the deck and replaced everything else with the latest Pioneer seperates which served me well unti 1999. I sold them all to move to Australia.

Where am i now with regards to equipment? In my office my Mac sound runs through a Topping D30 Pro into a Singxer SA-1 to Ruark speakers. The Topping and Singxer were purchases after reading Amirs reviews, thanks Amir the match is glorious. My main system comprises a Quad Vena 2 Play into Quad ESl 57's 1960's vintage with streaming from a Roon Nucleus through an UltraRendu then into my ADE DAC2. I cabled everything, took the Roon package for life from day 1, I have no issues with Roon WIRED, dont bother with wireless if you want trouble free listening.

I have come on a long way since my 8 transistor Bush Radio, there has of course been much more equipment, the Zu's, the Sonus Fabers, Yamaha SS, I could fill the page . . . . . I am more than content with my final pieces (Retiement stopped my buying) I read the hifi posts more often with amusement than anything else.

Visitors always comment on the quality of sound they hear issuing forth and that also makes me happy. My love of music will never be tainted with minutiae.

Thanks for Reading.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Welcome. Interesting how music can be a thread that weaves through life.

Thanks for sharing!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. Something I've wondered (having at one time had Quad ESL57's) is how incredible those must have sounded in the late 1950's and 1960's vs the other speakers that were available at the time. Heck they sound good within their performance constraints even for now.

mdunjic

Hi Guys and Gals, I grew up in the UK and my first personal equipment was a very small transistor radio that i used to listen to Radio Caroline under the sheets in bed, it was illegal to actually listen to pirate radio stations for a while, I was 11 then, it was 1965. I started work aged 15 and my first couple of pay packets went to Mike Eagleton who had just opened a hifi shop in my home town of Marlow, Bucks.

I purchased a Garrard SP25 Mk3, a Rotel RA610 and Wharfedale Linton speakers, i later upgraded to Mordaunt Short speakers. There was never any discussions then about compression etc that often grace the pages here. It was just music and it sounded good then to my young ears, going to the many, many concerts, IOW, Reading, Wheely etc, etc, I was lucky enough to see the best of the bands in my era. That though started the decline of my hearing. A list of groups would bore you.

I joined the RAF in 1977 and Jet engines and general noise did more damage for the next 18 years. Whilst serving in Germany these new fangled things came out, CD's so i sold the deck and replaced everything else with the latest Pioneer seperates which served me well unti 1999. I sold them all to move to Australia.

Where am i now with regards to equipment? In my office my Mac sound runs through a Topping D30 Pro into a Singxer SA-1 to Ruark speakers. The Topping and Singxer were purchases after reading Amirs reviews, thanks Amir the match is glorious. My main system comprises a Quad Vena 2 Play into Quad ESl 57's 1960's vintage with streaming from a Roon Nucleus through an UltraRendu then into my ADE DAC2. I cabled everything, took the Roon package for life from day 1, I have no issues with Roon WIRED, dont bother with wireless if you want trouble free listening.

I have come on a long way since my 8 transistor Bush Radio, there has of course been much more equipment, the Zu's, the Sonus Fabers, Yamaha SS, I could fill the page . . . . . I am more than content with my final pieces (Retiement stopped my buying) I read the hifi posts more often with amusement than anything else.

Visitors always comment on the quality of sound they hear issuing forth and that also makes me happy. My love of music will never be tainted with minutiae.

Thanks for Reading.
Quad electronics are basis for my systems too :)
Cheers from Canada !

OP
R

Redver

I first heard the QUAD ESL 57's at a girlfriends uncles house in Reading Berkshire, I thought they were radiators initially then i found the hifi system in a cupboard and turned it all on WOW a sound that I would never forget from the early 1970's.

In the late 1990's i went to the Blue Mountains to pick up a pair of Speakers I had made and when i walked into this guys house I saw his quads and said Please dont turn them on, well he did and i fell in love all over again, I bought a pair online from Melbourne - unseen - unheard but it mattered not as John Hall a Quad ESL Guru lived around the corner, he gave them a new lease of life and I have never looked back, John also advise never turn them off, I havent, apart from when i moved house.

The sound is captivating, Peter Walker got it right first time, and the fact that there is a small army of listeners who will never be parted from their 57s is a wonderful testament to that. I am one of them.

Top Bottom