• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My new music server - what format please (Mac to PC)??

Saffy

Hi , have Mac music server and want to transfer all to new external HD - for exclusive use with my Pro-ject S2 Ultra Streamer.
What format should I use exFAT, FAT32 , or other? I'm a PC guy so will be adding future music files that way. I have 50,000+ tracks going into 2TB HD
Thank you

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
If no files are larger than 4GB and the disk isn't larger than whatever the FAT32 maximum is, that's the most compatible option.

OP
Saffy

Saffy

Thanks, I have 50,000+ tracks going into 2TB HD..

DuxServit

Forum Donor
ExFAT isn't as well supported across various operating systems.
The OP just needs MacOS and Windows (Win7 & 10), so ExFat should be just fine. I have it on my 5TB portable HDD/usb.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's supported since Sunday. I doubt the streamer is running the new kernel, though.

Indeed. Can the OP update the kernel on his streamer to the Linux 5.4 kernel?

There are userland solutions for supporting exFAT on Linux, but kernel support would be best.

mansr

Major Contributor
Indeed. Can the OP update the kernel on his streamer to the Linux 5.4 kernel?
It's only properly supported with the just-released 5.7 kernel. 5.4 has a "staging" exFAT driver, which means it's really only there for developers to work on. Regardless, I would advise against messing with the kernel on that streamer. It likely has some customisations not in the official release, and losing these will break something, possibly make the device unusable.

Promit

I haven't tested in a while but Linux should support exFAT just fine via a FUSE driver. Yes it's being merged into the kernel, but you don't need the kernel level support. I'll also mention that the Paragon NTFS driver for Mac OSX has worked great for me for years, though it does cost a couple bucks.

mansr

Major Contributor
There are also ext4 drivers for Windows, if we're to explore all the options.

OP
Saffy

Saffy

I'm a little confused. Will the Pro-ject E-2 Ultra stream from a HD formated to exFat?
Thanks

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Saffy

Saffy

Thanks, great link. So does the Pro-ject streamer run on Linux?

linuxfan

Saffy, consider a full NAS box instead of an external hard drive - that's usually the preferred option of experienced music server users.
- a NAS is readily accessible to all computer devices connected to the same router, no plugging/unplugging as required by external hard drives.
- the file system used on the NAS (usually EXT4) is largely irrelevant, since the NAS is accessed via a network file system, usually CIFS/SMB.

Which NAS? I like Synology, but also consider QNAP, Buffalo, Western Digital.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Pretty sure the S2 runs a modified/re-skinned version of Volumio (Linux).

ps fat32 ;-)

Last edited:
OP
Saffy

Saffy

Yes thanks, it does run on Volumio (Linux), so my preference is NTFS. As exFat is susceptible to power outages, and FAT32 has file size limitations. Problem is my older Mac has no provision to format a HD in NTFS..

Top Bottom