• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My new HTPC - ASR Build

Fers66

Dear ASR people... =)

Having SO MUCH fun (learning) here on ASR forums...and want to share my experience...
I´m just a music lover...and PC lover too, since the good old floopy days...
In december 2019 I have moved to a new house with a dedicated room for my HTPC (small room +-4.00m x 3.80m)
New house...new system...
My speaker´s are the new Paradigm Monitor SE Series (SE3000F, SE2000c, SE Atoms for Surround)...a SVS PC12-Plus... and a AKG K72 / Sennheiser HD518 Phones (occasionally use)...
My old system eletronics was a Yamaha AVR-650 (with 5.1 analog multichannel input) and a HK3490 (no HMDI for audio duties in my old system).
Since I´m familiar with Yamaha "signature/menus", i was really looking for the "ALLMIGHTY" Yamaha RXA-1080...
Well...let´s talk about the Yamaha RXA-1080 (here in my country for $ 1.600,00)

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a1080_u/index.html
Craftsmanship in engineering design. The AVENTAGE line of high-performance AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials and parts to construction, layout, vibration damping (unique foot) and “fine-tuning” the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every AVENTAGE model has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.
AVENTAGE – High Quality Parts*
The whole is greater than the sum. Every single part in an AV receiver affects the sound quality. For AVENTAGE models, extra time is taken to find (or develop) the exact parts needed to achieve the highest performance possible. Sound technicians go through a testing process to, in effect, "tune" the receiver's sound.

*Wow...that´s sound awesome! Need it! :D

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/yamaha-rx-a1080
The RX-A1080 grabs you early with its bold, rich presentation – and it possesses the sonic insight to keep you listening thereafter
+ Huge sound *
+ Plenty of detail *
+ Lots of features
- Rivals better for timing

* Hummm....Huge Sound...Plenty of detail...love it! :D

I discovered ASR forums searching for reviews about the RXA-1080...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-measurements-of-yamaha-rx-a1080-avr.9090/
Let´s just say Thanks God I found ASR... shame on you Yamaha...Shame on you...:D
After reading Amir review of the SoundBlaster AE-5 (and a lot of other posts and reviews) i decided to use a soundcard +power amp as the brain in my system (as my PC/HTPC is the source for all my music/videos).
I purchased a SoundBlaster AE-7 and a AMC 25100MKII multichannel amp...
While that gave me a "OK" setup... IMO "something was missing" (for better integration with the subwoofer and gain control). Then I start looking for a Processor.
My options here in my country (and my money) was limited to Emotiva and Marantz processors...
It was fun to read Amir reviews of Emotiva Processors...Marantz 7705... (Cheers Amir!)
Had to look for another options...then I purchased a Parasound P7 pre amplifier....(Fuc* you HDMI! I´m going analogic again!) :)
I hate to say that as I have no objetive data to prove...but let me say that adding the Parasound P7 in my system was AWESOME...as it add a new level of control/connections/bass management...and also a better overall sound quality (is that possible?).
That pic is from the P7 Manual...
P7.jpg

Lovely...2 sets of multichannel inputs... :D
While that can sound overkill...now I can have 2 soundcards in my PC* (maybe a Asus Essence/Strix for comparison with the SoundBlaster)....2, 3, even 4 external DACs...a AV processor...a Receiver too...
*Win10 works great with multiple audio devices
If needed i have space in my room to use the Paradigm set for movies duties and another pair of speakers for music...with a dedicated 2 channel amp...that´s nice!
A friend just bought a topping D50s and we will compare it with the SoundBlaster AE7 as soon as it arrives...
Just have to say THANK YOU AMIR for all the REVOLUTION you are bringing in the AVR arena...enlightening!
You are AWESOME man! =)
Wish i had better english skills to write all I really want to say about you...and how ASR have shapped my decisions with my new system (really happy with it)...
While it is "pure fun" to read all the reviews here, it was absolutely AMAZING to read your bio...your passion for audio...your involvement with the audio industry....with Windows...
Thanks for taking your time with us...for all the hard, objective and SERIOUS reviews...
PS - Even my P7 has something to say about ASR :)
1270.jpg 1265.jpg 965.jpg

Long Live Amir!.jpg

Top Bottom