• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My New Album Released Today

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks for indulging me here (yet again).

My new album, Shibusa, was released today on Bandcamp and the major streaming services. Stylistically, it’s similar to my prior releases, with jazz-inspired melodic and percussive improvisations layered over ambient soundscapes. Thanks for taking a listen! —Alan

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 'headstage' is enormous on the first track, listening with my Sennheiser HD 660S headphones! (I love them, but none of the 6-series are known for soundstage/headstage haha! So it's surprising to me to get that effect here!)

I listen almost exclusively to 'classical' (Baroque and Romantic/Late Romantic eras actually, I generally dislike the actual Classical era haha) plus a bit of 1940s/50s jazz and a couple of pop/rock artists, but I always enjoy your music, so I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of this new album. Thanks again for sharing with us, and congrats on your newest art!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for indulging me here (yet again).

My new album, Shibusa, was released today on Bandcamp and the major streaming services. Stylistically, it’s similar to my prior releases, with jazz-inspired melodic and percussive improvisations layered over ambient soundscapes. Thanks for taking a listen! —Alan

I can only imagine the patience req'd to make this. :D

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
The 'headstage' is enormous on the first track, listening with my Sennheiser HD 660S headphones! (I love them, but none of the 6-series are known for soundstage/headstage haha! So it's surprising to me to get that effect here!)

I listen almost exclusively to 'classical' (Baroque and Romantic/Late Romantic eras actually, I generally dislike the actual Classical era haha) plus a bit of 1940s/50s jazz and a couple of pop/rock artists, but I always enjoy your music, so I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of this new album. Thanks again for sharing with us, and congrats on your newest art!
Hey, thanks so very much. I appreciate your time and attention. I hope you enjoy the album!!

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
I can only imagine the patience req'd to make this. :D
Ha! It does take a fair bit of time, this album represents about 6 months worth of daily work. One bite at a time, as they say. Thanks!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Ha! It does take a fair bit of time, this album represents about 6 months worth of daily work. One bite at a time, as they say. Thanks!
:D :D :D The early Beatles recordings were basically one song in the morning and another in the afternoon with the '45 in the record store by the next week! And they might have written the song the night before.

(By the end of their career things were getting more complicated and they were allowed to use LOTs of studio time.)

Then I read something once arguing in favor of a real drummer over programmed MIDI drums. They said, "A drummer can play a 3-minute song in 3 minutes - How long does it take you to program the drums?" ...Not completely true if you include the set-up time and the time to learn the part and there might be multiple takes, but kinda' true and kinda' funny!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
:D :D :D The early Beatles recordings were basically one song in the morning and another in the afternoon with the '45 in the record store by the next week! And they might have written the song the night before.

(By the end of their career things were getting more complicated and they were allowed to use LOTs of studio time.)

Then I read something once arguing in favor of a real drummer over programmed MIDI drums. They said, "A drummer can play a 3-minute song in 3 minutes - How long does it take you to program the drums?" ...Not completely true if you include the set-up time and the time to learn the part and there might be multiple takes, but kinda' true and kinda' funny!
The Beatles are ~2 minute and 40 second wonders. Nearly all the old songs run ~2 minutes and 40 seconds. For that reason I grew tired of that. What @acbarn is doing is much more complicated and the production must be very time intensive. I sense lotsa skills in this venture.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Yeah, whoever said that never worked with real drummers in a recording studio. Most, other than the very top studio players, couldn’t play a track perfectly enough in one or two takes if their life depended upon it. An extreme example are some of the Steely Dan sessions in which even some of the best drummers in the world were required to play take after take, sometimes into the multiple dozens, to get one acceptable track.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh. I thought it was pretty clearly established that Paul wrote "The Night Before."

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Finally took the time to give it a good listen.

I love it. Especially the first and the last track.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beautifully well made and lifelike sounding out of my Dan Clark Aeon X Open (No EQ whatsoever)

Capture.PNG

poxymoron

Lovely music, well done. Listened to half of it in work on headphones using the link you shared, just favourited it on Tidal, I'll listen to it at home over the weekend on my speakers.

JSmith

Master Contributor
jazz-inspired melodic and percussive improvisations layered over ambient soundscapes
Heiwa (Peace) is really nice... I haven't listened to all tracks yet, but so far that has stood out for me from 3 tracks. It's clear by listening that much effort has gone into this, so congrats on some great work.

JSmith

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Great news!!! Congrats and the best of luck to you! I hope you're satisfied with how it turned out!

Top Bottom