• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My name is John and I'm addicted to measurement software

JohnPM

Technical Expert
It all started so innocently. A bit of fun. Learn a new language. Make something useful. No big deal, I could stop whenever I wanted. But all these years later I admit I may have a problem.

A little after the turn of the millenium, whilst I was Technical Director of TAG McLaren Audio (TMA), I wrote a little Java application as a spare time activity. It was called TMREQ Wizard, aimed at assisting owners of TMA AV processors in setting up those units' TAG McLaren Room EQualisation (TMREQ) filters to tackle modal resonances. It wasn't much, but it sowed a seed.

Following the demise of TAG McLaren Audio early in 2004, with audio back to being a hobby rather than a profession, I decided to write a new application that would combine equaliser filter response visualisation and adjustment with audio measurement. I wasn't that happy with the 3rd party packages I had been using for measurement at the time and thought an integrated solution would be easier to use. That was the birth of REW.

I added support for the BFD1124P, popular for subwoofer EQ at the time, which brought REW to the attention of a wider community using the BFD and similar products. The original version used stepped sine for measurement, but I soon changed it to use log sweep. Further equalisers were added. More measurement features followed. The little hobby activity started consuming most of what I now wistfully refer to as 'spare time'.

Over the years the range of equalisers supported by REW has grown, but the EQ features have been far outstripped by the measurement capabilities - these days REW is primarily a measurement system.

Fourteen years after starting work on REW I admit that I don't think I can stop after all. In fact I still enjoy adding new features and capabilities to REW and the ToDo list just keeps getting longer. I guess I'm a lost cause.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
John, you have given one of the best gifts to audiophiles. It always amazes me how good the tool is considering that you just give it away.

So I for one, am happy for your addiction. :D

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
19768py8r7befgif.gif

:cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
John, Words can't express how valuable your contributions have been. I'm probably the weakest hack on this site at using your kit but I can't imagine what the audiophile community would do without it. REW and Audacity, are the two crown jewels of free audio measurement software.
What a tremendous undertaking, the amount of work you've put into this is staggering.
Thank you so much!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
REW + cheap measuring mics are giving the power of understanding audio systems to the masses, and hopefully will take us away from the old random trying stuff approach. Your contribution is really appreciated.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the backstory on REW!

(Any chance you'll add polar maps?)

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ROCK ON JOHN!!

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good coding skills AND knowledge of DSP at your level is hard to come by. I hope you live long and keep up the good work.

My only feature request with REW would be to allow me to validate my filters by playing back the test tones with the filter applied.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi John

Very good to see you here, looking forward to some very informed contribution :)

You wont remember but we did meet many years ago at one of Tag McLarens customer events at the factory. We participated in blind listening tests of amps (Tag v Bryston IIRC) and cables. My Tag AV32R DP with room EQ got me out of serial upgrading hifi-itis as I realised it was rarely the equipment thats the problem. Excellent kit that I only parted with last year.

cheers

Alan

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I hate REW. With a $100 CSL-calibrated mic, REW, and my notebook PC, I have a better system in most ways than the $1200 measurement mic, $2500 preamp, $1500 interface, and $10,000 SW package I had before. :D

Welcome aboard, John! - Don

OP
JohnPM

JohnPM

Technical Expert
Thanks all.

You wont remember but we did meet many years ago at one of Tag McLarens customer events at the factory. We participated in blind listening tests of amps (Tag v Bryston IIRC) and cables. My Tag AV32R DP with room EQ got me out of serial upgrading hifi-itis as I realised it was rarely the equipment thats the problem. Excellent kit that I only parted with last year.
I certainly remember the event, blind testing is entertaining! My AV192R is still going strong.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Are they fit for everyday use or do we wait for the format release?

I use them.

upload_2018-5-16_20-55-40.png

The JAVA is the one that permits multiple instances of REW to run simulteneously.

OP
JohnPM

JohnPM

Technical Expert
John, what is the deal with beta releases? There seems to be many of them. Are they fit for everyday use or do we wait for the format release?
Yes, you shouldn't have any issues using the beta versions . I mark them as beta versions as the new features in them haven't had much regression testing, but if anything untoward does come up I get a fix out quickly.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I missed this, but I want to add my thanks and gratitude for the existence of REW. It is AWESOME!

Ardacer

I bought ARTA like, a week before I discovered REW. Eh. It's Ok. I'll hopefully support REW too somehow. Amazing people deserve support.

Top Bottom