• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My loudspeaker measurements (work in progress)

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Combination of what? Tweeter and waveguide?

Yes, and also to whatever midrange or woofer they are being crossed of course. It all needs to work together for the intended purpose.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Next on my order list:

JBL 306P and Presonus Eris E5 XT

The JBL has seen strong competition from Kali and I'm curious to see how these fare.
The Presonus looks great in concept. Wide-ish rounded baffle, generous waveguide size for the 5" midwoofer - hidden screws and no sharp edges. Curious to see if the execution is also good.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Next on my order list:

JBL 306P and Presonus Eris E5 XT

The JBL has seen strong competition from Kali and I'm curious to see how these fare.
The Presonus looks great in concept. Wide-ish rounded baffle, generous waveguide size for the 5" midwoofer - hidden screws and no sharp edges. Curious to see if the execution is also good.

How do you manage to get all those speakers? :)

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
My place of employment (school of performing arts) needs stuff like this on a regular basis.. And since I'm the guy in charge of buying it.. It needs to be justifiable of course. Hence most of these are 'budget' speakers. The PA stuff in general is a bit more expensive.
Normally I would have bought 4-5 pair of the same model.. But now I'd rather buy one pair of several types en see what the actual performance is first.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Another one on the radar is the M-Audio BX5 D3. Very cheap, but after hearing some sound samples on the Digital Stereophony channel on Youtube I'm intrigued. Not the end of all comparison methods, but it does sound consistently good with regards to the source tracks, compared to most monitors. Check it out I'd say.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the data!

Divided by and scaled in level. Substracting showed some very weird anomalies

I wrote to Chris Liscio about this back when FuzzMeasure4 came out. I believe his explanation was something related to the log scale, but I didn't dig up the email just now to confirm.

How are you getting sufficient measurements for the graphs, given REW's 20 (?) measurement limit per file? I'd like to get more into REW because it otherwise appears to be a fantastic software and has become somewhat of a standard for taking and sharing measurements, but the measurements-per-file limit seems to rule it out for quasi-2034 measurements.

FuzzMeasure4 is still the most user friendly measurement software. I do not know how many measurements can be saved per file, but it is at least 85. Røde bought FuzzMeasure two years ago. They promised a new version in late 2018, but it is not out yet. Also, the current version still lacks some features from the previous version. One missing feature that was around before is the division operation, which I used to use to show the effect of grilles.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Thanks for the data!

I wrote to Chris Liscio about this back when FuzzMeasure4 came out. I believe his explanation was something related to the log scale, but I didn't dig up the email just now to confirm.

How are you getting sufficient measurements for the graphs, given REW's 20 (?) measurement limit per file? I'd like to get more into REW because it otherwise appears to be a fantastic software and has become somewhat of a standard for taking and sharing measurements, but the measurements-per-file limit seems to rule it out for quasi-2034 measurements.

FuzzMeasure4 is still the most user friendly measurement software. I do not know how many measurements can be saved per file, but it is at least 85. Røde bought FuzzMeasure two years ago. They promised a new version in late 2018, but it is not out yet. Also, the current version still lacks some features from the previous version. One missing feature that was around before is the division operation, which I used to use to show the effect of grilles.

Well for this purpose I only have 11 measuremenst (on-axis, and then 10° through 80° horizontal and 10° up and down vertical) - so I'm not running into the constraint here. Although I have considered doing full spinoramas and indeed it wouldn't work - also I can't figure out how to properly weight the measurements according to the 2034A standard. I can't figure out how to assign a particular value to each position in REW, if it is at all possible.

I'll check out the FuzzMeasure4 software too! Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Two new ones. Genelec G2 (8020) and Neumann KH80DSP

Please note these are not anechoic measurements, simply taken in a large hall away from boundaries. There is some gain in my measurements in the low range due to my 'stand' which is basically a large column. Take these with a grain of salt and compare them only the earlier ones posted in this thread. What you're looking at is the on-axis curve, listening window and early -horizontal- reflections aka the side-wall average.

Build quality. Both are well made units. The Genelec with its aluminium molded cabinet feels sturdier but both are professional grade. Under the right lighting I could see some small 'stains' on the back of the (albeit high quality) plastic Neumann cabinet. There was also a problem with the auto-standby mod on the Neumann. I've heard other reports of this as well. Overall I slightly prefer the fit/finish of the Genelec cabinet.

Subjective mono test: Please note I was listening in a large auditorium, 5 meter away from the nearest sidewalls.
Timbrally they are not that far apart as the measurements indicate. The Genelec sounds a little more spacious/diffuse and remains truer to the direct sound as you move to the sides, again as the measurement indicates. The Neumann in mono demands your attention with little to no illusion of 'depth' despite being timbrally correct. When moving to more than one loudspeaker the Neumann should provide a bit more 'pin-point' imaging compared to the Genelec.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
And here is the compared steady-state response averaged over a decent listening area in said auditorium. Blue = Genelec G2 / Purple = Neumann KH80

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
So since we're in the unique position to Amir having tested the Neumann already, we can check how close I am in general. I'd say above 600Hz these are quite good.

Listening window comparison

Sidewall reflection comparison

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Two new ones. Genelec G2 (8020) and Neumann KH80DSP

Please note these are not anechoic measurements, simply taken in a large hall away from boundaries. There is some gain in my measurements in the low range due to my 'stand' which is basically a large column. Take these with a grain of salt and compare them only the earlier ones posted in this thread. What you're looking at is the on-axis curve, listening window and early -horizontal- reflections aka the side-wall average.

Build quality. Both are well made units. The Genelec with its aluminium molded cabinet feels sturdier but both are professional grade. Under the right lighting I could see some small 'stains' on the back of the (albeit high quality) plastic Neumann cabinet. There was also a problem with the auto-standby mod on the Neumann. I've heard other reports of this as well. Overall I slightly prefer the fit/finish of the Genelec cabinet.

Subjective mono test: Please note I was listening in a large auditorium, 5 meter away from the nearest sidewalls.
Timbrally they are not that far apart as the measurements indicate. The Genelec sounds a little more spacious/diffuse and remains truer to the direct sound as you move to the sides, again as the measurement indicates. The Neumann in mono demands your attention with little to no illusion of 'depth' despite being timbrally correct. When moving to more than one loudspeaker the Neumann should provide a bit more 'pin-point' imaging compared to the Genelec.
Thanks, this is useful. Any word about the Presonus Eris XT? Could well be incredible at its price point.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Thanks, this is useful. Any word about the Presonus Eris XT? Could well be incredible at its price point.

Amir will test one soon. It's in the queue.

Top Bottom