• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?

MarcosCh

Major Contributor
If all you want is volume, wouldn’t the Surface Dial (or custom and Pi) work for controlling system volume? Are you using any solution now for controlling multiple app volumes?
I wish I could use the dial, but I don't know how. The farther I went was to pair it to a raspberry pi (but doing nothing), and also found this link where a guy explains how he found out what instructions the dial sends via bluetooth when actuated (link below). Beyond that is all dark as the darkest night for me. What do i use now? The remote of my topping dac in my main system and my phone in the rest. And I can't decide which one I despise more :-/

IPunchCholla

Forum Donor
I wish I could use the dial, but I don't know how. The farther I went was to pair it to a raspberry pi (but doing nothing), and also found this link where a guy explains how he found out what instructions the dial sends via bluetooth when actuated (link below). Beyond that is all dark as the darkest night for me. What do i use now? The remote of my topping dac in my main system and my phone in the rest. And I can't decide which one I despise more :-/

The examples I posted ( I changed post #26 to link to a remote rather than a receiver) would get you there (technically, if not aesthetically, but use an Arduino rather than a Pi. Those tutorials show you how to look up (or capture) the Topping remote’s code and give examples of programming a dial encoder (plugged directly into the circuit. But I would use the code from post 24 (with the Topping’s values) myself as it is directly using the a knob as a button And is fairly elegant.

For Bluetooth/dial If you have linked the Dial to the Pi, you need to program the Pi to emit the Topping’s code for volume up and volume down. Your link tells you how to capture the input from the dial. It unfortunately assumes the reader knows what to make of that raw input, and how to translate that to code. I need to look at it more carefully to see if I can grasp it.

If you want to go the Dial->Pi->Topping route, your next step would be to figure out how to control a blinking LED. That is what will control the Topping. Link. Once you can control the topping with the Pi manually, you will need to program it to do it on receiving data from the dial.

Personally, I think I am going to look in to going the Arduino/Bluetooth route myself. As I am trying to control system volume rather than device volume.

MarcosCh

Major Contributor
The examples I posted ( I changed post #26 to link to a remote rather than a receiver) would get you there (technically, if not aesthetically, but use an Arduino rather than a Pi. Those tutorials show you how to look up (or capture) the Topping remote’s code and give examples of programming a dial encoder (plugged directly into the circuit. But I would use the code from post 24 (with the Topping’s values) myself as it is directly using the a knob as a button And is fairly elegant.

For Bluetooth/dial If you have linked the Dial to the Pi, you need to program the Pi to emit the Topping’s code for volume up and volume down. Your link tells you how to capture the input from the dial. It unfortunately assumes the reader knows what to make of that raw input, and how to translate that to code. I need to look at it more carefully to see if I can grasp it.

If you want to go the Dial->Pi->Topping route, your next step would be to figure out how to control a blinking LED. That is what will control the Topping. Link. Once you can control the topping with the Pi manually, you will need to program it to do it on receiving data from the dial.

Personally, I think I am going to look in to going the Arduino/Bluetooth route myself. As I am trying to control system volume rather than device volume.
Awesome, thanks, it even seems easy reading your post.
To be honest, for me either ir or Bluetooth would work, i see advantages and disadvantages in both: bluetooth - not directional. IR - could make it work with any device that has a ir receiver.

MadMaxx

Best volume knob ever was the long discontinued Emotiva Control Freak. Best one I've found since my CF passed away is the TC Electronic Level Pilot X.

tc x.png

Kundroc

I use a SPIN remote.

DSC08986.JPG

It's a programmable IR remote control. It recognizes if it's upright, upside down or if your holding it horizontally. It will send different IR codes in each position, allowing you to, e.g., change volume when upright and inputs if turned horizontally.
Unfortunately, its discontinued now and the app not available from the app stores anylonger (only on 3rd party repositories).
http://www.spinremote.com/index.html

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Would you mind posting some examples? I would be specially interested in sending commands to LMS

I have not seen many ir volume knobs, the few I know are bluetooth like the ms dial, could you link to any you know too? Thanks a lot!
I can't see IR working well. It would have to blast every increment as you turn it, just like holding down the volume button on a traditional remote control. And if you turn it fast, there would be a lot of lag until it catches up.

Top Bottom