• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My gripes with online reviewers

BasicConcern

I lurk allot of places but lately with the boom, But lately i notice that allot of them are not very good at all to get a basis from.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Undefined adjectives ................., as well.

Reactions: THW
OP
B

BasicConcern

Unless they include performance measurements in their reviews, I typically ignore all of their subjective opinions about the sound quality of a device... :facepalm:

That...happens allot on head fi/Reddit, So many give negative subjective opinions on BA based earphones but never once back up with charts or get angry when told Dynamics bass magic is a hump+distortion. I've seen few hype Stax headphones which has same decay, bass sound as allot of BA stuff??.

Not to mention act as if above 1% THD+N is even audible when there no proof it is.

thomasjast

That...happens allot on head fi/Reddit, So many give negative subjective opinions on BA based earphones but never once back up with charts or get angry when told Dynamics bass magic is a hump+distortion. I've seen few hype Stax headphones which has same decay, bass sound as allot of BA stuff??.

Not to mention act as if above 1% THD+N is even audible when there no proof it is.

The term you’re looking for it a lot. Allot is a totally different word so cut that out.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On line review template: stick the item in your system, write up 'how it sounds' using a few records (or CDs, as the case may be), then rate it based on how much the manufacturer is charging. Most expensive is always best, but be sure to include some entry level 'bargains' that give your readers '90% of the sound' of high priced stuff, for pennies on the dollar--just to keep it in perspective for those who can't afford the ticket. Then wait for the next shipment of review gear, lather, rinse and repeat.

simbloke

Forum Donor
I wonder if there are any reviews where the expensive thing was rubbish? (Errr not thinking of this place obviously!)

THW

Forum Donor

tbh it kind of depends on where that 1% THD+N value is, if its in the lower bass regions its probably not audible. higher up at lets say 1 kHz and it might become an issue.

Midwest Blade

While many of the current batch of on-line reviewers have zeroed in on entertainment they unfortunately have left objectivity in their wake as they monetize their opinions. I admit to following a couple regularily along with a couple of on-line forums but have lost absolutely total faith in anything they rate highly with a few exceptions. Anyone here remember Julian Hirsch from Stereo Review, now there was a review you could more or less take to the bank. Today's current media trends firmly enforce the old saying "buyer beware".

OP
B

BasicConcern

tbh it kind of depends on where that 1% THD+N value is, if its in the lower bass regions its probably not audible. higher up at lets say 1 kHz and it might become an issue.

Hard to tell unless a blind test was done on 0.8%, 1% and 5% but the earphone I'm talking about is only 1% at 90db same with others. If the ER4XR THD is a issue you can EQ in the XR's bass on the ER4SR without any issue, Which few did in the ER4 Head Fi thread.

While many of the current batch of on-line reviewers have zeroed in on entertainment they unfortunately have left objectivity in their wake as they monetize their opinions. I admit to following a couple regularily along with a couple of on-line forums but have lost absolutely total faith in anything they rate highly with a few exceptions. Anyone here remember Julian Hirsch from Stereo Review, now there was a review you could more or less take to the bank. Today's current media trends firmly enforce the old saying "buyer beware".

True when i tried reading Crinacle's site, i found out half the content is hidden behind a paywall and majority of his reviews favour TOTL stuff while being unfair on mid tier stuff, Get ****** when sighted bias is brought up.

It's worse with YouTube reviews when they post videos where they have no clue on what there talking about, but there fanbase lap's it up anyways. Oluv's gadgets got hate thrown when he did videos criticising overhyped IEM's by other places.

Last edited:

Hypnotoad

I wonder if there are any reviews where the expensive thing was rubbish?

Audio reviews tend to be like those for sale signs they used to have on houses, where quiet location meant miles from anywhere. You have to interpret them the same way.

THW

Forum Donor
On line review template: stick the item in your system, write up 'how it sounds' using a few records (or CDs, as the case may be), then rate it based on how much the manufacturer is charging. Most expensive is always best, but be sure to include some entry level 'bargains' that give your readers '90% of the sound' of high priced stuff, for pennies on the dollar--just to keep it in perspective for those who can't afford the ticket. Then wait for the next shipment of review gear, lather, rinse and repeat.

don’t forget ample usage of colourful and barely defined descriptives.

OP
B

BasicConcern

There a another thing i noticed Reviewers doing, Letting whatever sound sig they love cloud there opinions. Like calling anything that warm to flat netural bass light & getting rude to others who like bright, analytical signatures.

thomasjast

My issue with any and all subjective reviews is that I believe music should only sound one way: the way it sounds when played live and acoustic. High hats, cymbals and guitar are all bright and sometimes border on piercing and something like an average Sennheiser headphone just don’t present treble in that way, so how can they review so well? Ditto on a large bass drum; you can feel that in your stomach, so any equipment that can’t reproduce that is clearly missing something.

I understand that playback should match the recording and not the original performance, but there has to be a basis for comparison somewhere. “Flat, neutral” doesn’t sound anything like real life and should be considered a downside.

OP
B

BasicConcern

“Flat, neutral” doesn’t sound anything like real life and should be considered a downside.

How it that downside when reviewing, headphones can't mimic chest pounding bass no matter how boosted the bass is?. You can do crossovers where studio monitors or a woofer take over the bass job, or a Subpac in etymotic's case.

“Flat, neutral” stuff respond well to bass rich content since i have no issue with ER4SR with metal, ambient/drone stuff.

Top Bottom