• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first youtube interview... I am famous now!!!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Great interview, I found it engaging enough watch the whole thing.

Nice to put a face to the name, Amir!

I was surprised to hear that the actual SINAD on most amplifiers is so high.

Amir, one thing does puzzle me was your comment that wi-fi streaming is as good as directly from a local server or CD player (or something to that affect). The best and most expensive pro audio wireless systems on the market can’t muster a S/N ratio better than 90 dBA. Manufacturers of WiSA equipment such as Klipsch, Bang & Olufsen and Axiim won’t even publish noise specs. This all strongly suggests that wireless will never be as quiet as a wired system. Is there something about wi-fi that makes it quieter than other wireless delivery systems?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Daverz

Major Contributor

I thought he said something like a mean of 79 dB or something like that. The median would be a more appropriate statistic, I think.

The best and most expensive pro audio wireless systems on the market can’t muster a S/N ratio better than 90 dBA.

You have to take into account the bandwidth as well. Wi-Fi bandwidth is measured in megaHertz. In any case, many of use have experience of routinely streaming hi-rez lossless audio files over Wi-Fi without loss at the endpoint.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Wow, @amirm you were made for the camera. Very good speaker. And hair and makeup on point.

IT IS TIME. Your own YouTube channel with videos reviews and behind the scenes looks at measurements.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Amir, one thing does puzzle me was your comment that wi-fi streaming is as good as directly from a local server or CD player (or something to that affect). The best and most expensive pro audio wireless systems on the market can’t muster a S/N ratio better than 90 dBA. Manufacturers of WiSA equipment such as Klipsch, Bang & Olufsen and Axiim won’t even publish noise specs. This all strongly suggests that wireless will never be as quiet as a wired system. Is there something about wi-fi that makes it quieter than other wireless delivery systems?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

That’s simply wrong , networks streamers works by Ethernet or WiFi just like your computer. The streamer is in most cases a small computer the actual playback takes place in the streamer so it’s just data like the internet.
There is no audio sent.

Don’t confuse it with Bluetooth audio that works differently.

I can stream 24/96 with WiFi to my 12 year old Squeezebox with WiFi it performs exactly the same as with Ethernet .

Why they don’t publish spec is because it’s exactly the same

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sorry i forgot the most obvious use case a WiFi conected laptop beside your stereo then usb to your DAC ? That would not differ in audio performance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, very much so. The wireless systems you are talking about are no-latency (or very low latency) modulation schemes on top of some RF carrier. There, there is no opportunity to retransmit and at any rate, their data rate is not that great to afford extra bandwidth to have retransmissions and such.

Wi-fi is a data channel and runs far, far faster than real-time. This allows a high level protocol like TCP/IP to run on top of it and provide not only lossless streaming, but also retransmission for fixing errors. So as long as you don't get drop outs (which means your wifi connection is too weak), you get bit for bit exact streaming well above CD. The channel here, unlike the RF scenarios above, is completely transparent. The down side is that the latency is quite high. A player may buffer many seconds as it plays the stream over Wi-fi. This won't do of course if you are streaming live audio using RF in an event and mixing with other wired channels. So different application and limitations/advantages.

ehabheikal

Yes, it happened. Thomas from HionHiFi shackled me, fed me some great sushi and convinced me to do a very long interview with him.

Please subscribe to his channel and pass the news. I spilled all the secrets about me, the site, etc. Normally you have to pay good money for this kind of trade secret information but now, you are getting it for free!

No, you won't recognize me in streets anymore. I am already working on my disguise. Shaved my head and got this tatoo:

bald-head-tattoos-1.jpg

I have to learn to walk backward but other than that, I don't think anyone will recognize me!

nice to finally see you

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you for the feedback. I’ll work on the ums and several other things I can’t unsee and am unhappy with now that the video is live. I appreciate and invite the constructive criticism. Keep it coming.

Nothing specific to you or your webcast, HioHiFi... But here are some general tips you might find helpful.

When most people say "um" it's used as a nervous filler, and that's exactly how it sounds... Usually the pitch stays flat or slightly increases, and the word is clipped, all adding to the sense of unease for the listener.

If you need to say "um", lower the pitch of your voice and say it slooooowwwweeeeerrrr... This will make you sound like you're in control and being thoughtful as opposed to distracting filler.

Just try it.

Still better to avoid fillers, but this is a useful stop gap.

When interviewing or broadcasting for informative purposes you should feel like you're doing your best Deputy Dog impression with your pace of speaking. If it feels way to slow, it's probably just right.

One other general tip- plant your feet flat on the floor and don't move them. Your feet, hips, shoulders, and head should all be like a statue. Use bigger hand and arm gestures to fill the space (back away from the camera if needed), rely on a variation of vocal tone, pitch, and pace to keep viewers engaged, and use facial expressions sparingly.

The statue tip will feel awkward at first, but again, just try it.

Nice job and good luck!

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Matt, thank you for that. I'll work on the interjecting issue in my upcoming interviews. I've known about this issue in myself for some time and understand the need to work it out of my conversations. It's not only annoying, but it's off-putting. Even I don't like to see/hear it. ;)

In your defense, Amir didn't really stop talking at any point. :D Great job, interesting conversation! I'm curious, how did you land the interview? :)

HionHiFi

Hello to everyone, my first post here;

The veil has been lifted!
Great interview and nice to see Amir in the flesh and hear his incredible knowledge .
What a great start for the channel and ASR.
Good luck Thomas you will do well!
Thank you and welcome to the forum diddley.

HionHiFi

...But here are some general tips you might find helpful.

When most people say "um" it's used as a nervous filler, and that's exactly how it sounds... Usually the pitch stays flat or slightly increases, and the word is clipped, all adding to the sense of unease for the listener.

If you need to say "um", lower the pitch of your voice and say it slooooowwwweeeeerrrr... This will make you sound like you're in control and being thoughtful as opposed to distracting filler.

Just try it.

Still better to avoid fillers, but this is a useful stop gap.
I'll try it this weekend in my interviews with Tom Christiansen of TCA and Leo from Orchard Audio.

When interviewing or broadcasting for informative purposes you should feel like you're doing your best Deputy Dog impression with your pace of speaking. If it feels way to slow, it's probably just right.

One other general tip- plant your feet flat on the floor and don't move them. Your feet, hips, shoulders, and head should all be like a statue. Use bigger hand and arm gestures to fill the space (back away from the camera if needed), rely on a variation of vocal tone, pitch, and pace to keep viewers engaged, and use facial expressions sparingly.
Ok, I'll slow down, plant my feet flat, keep all my limbs still unless absolutely necessary, with less facial expressions.

The statue tip will feel awkward at first, but again, just try it.
Yeah, it feels awkward just typing it out, ;) but I'm open to seeing much it make a difference in the interview.

HionHiFi

In your defense, Amir didn't really stop talking at any point. :D Great job, interesting conversation! I'm curious, how did you land the interview? :)
I could listen to him talk for hours about this stuff. I nerd out but maybe I'm an odd bird. Plus, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to enjoying poking fun at those who believe in the myths of audio. Hey, I'm human. ;) In the end though, my real aim is to help dispel those myths. I'd consider my efforts successful if 1 person see's the light and comes over to the objective side from the subjective side. That's the journey I took from reading Peter Aczel, Frank Van Alstine, Barry Willis, John Dunlavy, and so many others. Their writings helped me see the truth.

Maybe if enough of us ask, we could twist @amirm arm to do a livestream with me where we talk about all kinds of topics from room correction, dynamic range, digital vs analog, etc, etc. The audience could also participate.

Top Bottom