• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first youtube interview... I am famous now!!!

HionHiFi

Hahaha, are you joking? If so I like - very funny! :)

If not joking continue reading.....

Joe Rogan tells a story about one of his expert online media mates who told him exactly that when he started doing youtube videos that were 2, 3 or 4 hours long.

I think 20 minutes probably applies if you do not have much to say or the content you have is simple.

However, many content providers record content in much longer format, and lo and behold the views keep flooding in......

Look through the interesting more scientific subjects and you will often see two plus hour interviews because many worthwhile subjects require that long to understand what is being discussed, and consider different aspects, points of view, research directions, etc etc.
Agreed and I think the Joe Rogan format really suits the kind of information I’m trying to bring to the Audiophile audience. I’ll chop it up into “shorts” for people who want shorter videos.

HionHiFi

Id argue the opposite. In talks hes a great story teller and goes from point a to b without jumping the hoops too much. This video is long but it basically serves as the intro to asr to anyone that doesnt know. Watch this in full and you will truly get a grip of what Asr is about and where amir came from, why hes doing what hes doing. The only thing it lacks are timestamps on different topics of conversations. Having timestamps would practically gets rid of your concerns and most peoples. With timestamps people can pick out which portion of the interview they want to listen to.
Timestamps added.

HionHiFi

So you are Thomas? Same name as me. ;) So i wish your channel all the best! Doing a interview with @amirm was a great choise imho!

Hope you could enjoy germany at least a littel?
Yes sir. I am Thomas. HionHiFi is just a fun and clever alias.

Thomas, I loved my 2 years in Germany. I was stationed in Kitzingen. Not to far from Wurzberg. Loved every minute of it. It was invigorating running 5 miles a every weekday down the Larsen Baracks Hill, across the Main River and back up the hill through grape fields. I remember it like it was yesterday.

In fact the only regret I have about the Army was choosing to leave Germany in favor of Fort Hood, Tx. Hood was a hot hell hole. I made the most of it too in the end though. It was good times.

Last edited:

HionHiFi

@HionHiFi good interview, here are some tips. Obviously you've got good content so..
- A strong color LED illuminating your background is often used by youtubers to make the background fade out a bit visually.
- Interviewing is an interesting subject which I've done a good amount of research on. With someone like Amir and subject matter like what you discussed, you want the discussion to be somewhat meandering, I think you did a good job of staying on topic and staying organized. Maybe you can split the sections into individual videos and put them in one playlist. When an interviewer is personally invested in the information they are getting from the subject, the interview will tend to be interesting to watch. Many youtube 'interviews' are as much a platform for the interviewer as they are for the subject, and these can be a bit tedious. Amir is an interesting guy and I think you did a good job highlighting that, but he's also fairly articulate and has a desire to express himself. Not all subjects will be as easy so be prepared for that.
- A shotgun mic offers good room rejection but a lavalier is normally easier and cheaper
Wow, thank you for the advice. I’ll dissect it and see how I can implement what you’ve offered.

Reactions: 617

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the feedback. I’ll work on the ums and several other things I can’t unsee and am unhappy with now that the video is live. I appreciate and invite the constructive criticism. Keep it coming.

Thomas - couple of rough edges, maybe, but basically I thought you were wonderful. Warm, engaged, knowledgeable, and accessible. I was interested about the army and the PX purchases - seems to me that, and dorm-room systems, were a conveyor belt that delivered a lot of consumers for life. I guess it's dried up somewhat. What do they buy in the PX now? Headphones and homepods, I guess.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Thomas, I loved my 2 years in Germany. I was stationed in Kitzingen. Not to far from Wurzberg. Loved every minute of it. It was invigorating running 5 miles a every weekday down the Larsen Baracks Hill, across the Main River and back up the hill through grape fields. I remember it like it was yesterday.

In fact the only regret I h5ave about the Army was choosing to leave Germany in favor of Fort Hood, Tx. Hood was a hot hell hole, . I made the most of it too in the end though. It was good times.

Haha yes army has its bad points. But as long you can say afterwards “Hey we had also some fun days, all is ok" ;)

HionHiFi

Thomas - couple of rough edges, maybe, but basically I thought you were wonderful. Warm, engaged, knowledgeable, and accessible. I was interested about the army and the PX purchases - seems to me that, and dorm-room systems, were a conveyor belt that delivered a lot of consumers for life. I guess it's dried up somewhat. What do they buy in the PX now? Headphones and homepods, I guess.
Thank you. Heck I don’t know what the PX has these days. I got out 23 years ago after my 4 year stint. Back then the PX had amazing audio electronics, both portable and for the home. Or dorm room in my case, as you elude to. Mainly Bose, Sony, Infinity, Some Klipsch, JVC, Kenwood. Several items were not available stateside.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Amir,

Really enjoyed the entire video. Great topics, well discussed and articulated. A home run in all respects! Thank you kindly for the work and expense you go to to give us the Science Data to make well informed purchasing decisions. You obviously do this from the heart, and it is indeed rare in the Audiophile world to encounter someone like you. I vote for more videos.

‘A series on “So you think you are an Audiophile” about the concepts, specifications, and audio science a true Audiophile must posses. Basic, Intermediate and Advanced. The most valuable thing you can gift to us is sharing your incredible knowledge with us!

Bravo Zulu Sir!

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I follow an automotive YouTuber who I really like and want to succeed but he says "...and stuff" so often it's starting to annoy me. It's the sort of thing that once you notice it, it gets amplified in your brain. I've contemplated giving him some constructive criticism on the side and just might after reading this well-intentioned feedback here. I think he'd take it well.
Like, i know exactly like what you are talking about. Like, i can relate!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the feedback. I’ll work on the ums and several other things I can’t unsee and am unhappy with now that the video is live. I appreciate and invite the constructive criticism. Keep it coming.

Since you asked....:)

First, I really appreciate what you are doing with videos like this! Great approach.

I'm 1/2 way through and really enjoying the conversation. Adding the time stamps really helped especially in a video that long. I didn't even "use them" to skip parts, but even just being able to see the subjects parsed like that, see what's coming, makes the video an easier listen for me.

One thing I'd suggest as a listener: You did have the tendency to interject quite a bit, talking over your guest, or cutting him off when I really wanted to hear what he was saying. It made it a bit frustrating to listen to after a while. You have knowledge and experience so I want to hear what you have to say too...just not at the same time as your guest :) So I think waiting more often for your guest to finish his point and then adding your own would smooth things out.

Cheers, and keep them coming. Great start!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
HaHa never heard that bevore.

"..If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is likely not for you..."

But thats so fu**ing clear wisdom, i cant stop laughing. :)
And it is also written.
If you jump from an airplane and your parachute does not open, don't worry. You have the rest of your life to get it to open.

HionHiFi

Since you asked....:)

First, I really appreciate what you are doing with videos like this! Great approach.

I'm 1/2 way through and really enjoying the conversation. Adding the time stamps really helped especially in a video that long. I didn't even "use them" to skip parts, but even just being able to see the subjects parsed like that, see what's coming, makes the video an easier listen for me.

One thing I'd suggest as a listener: You did have the tendency to interject quite a bit, talking over your guest, or cutting him off when I really wanted to hear what he was saying. It made it a bit frustrating to listen to after a while. You have knowledge and experience so I want to hear what you have to say too...just not at the same time as your guest :) So I think waiting more often for your guest to finish his point and then adding your own would smooth things out.

Cheers, and keep them coming. Great start!
Matt, thank you for that. I'll work on the interjecting issue in my upcoming interviews. I've known about this issue in myself for some time and understand the need to work it out of my conversations. It's not only annoying, but it's off-putting. Even I don't like to see/hear it. ;)

kemposteen

In fact the only regret I have about the Army was choosing to leave Germany in favor of Fort Hood, Tx. Hood was a hot hell hole. I made the most of it too in the end though. It was good times.
Small world, I was stationed at Fort Hood in the mid 90's. Sounds like I was there the same time as you. I would also describe it as a hot hell hole

Awesome interview and I look forward to watching many more!

HionHiFi

Small world, I was stationed at Fort Hood in the mid 90's. Sounds like I was there the same time as you. I would also describe it as a hot hell hole

Awesome interview and I look forward to watching many more!
Small world indeed. I was there from 1996-1998. I spent a lot of time in the field on a Bradley Stinger Fight Fighting Vehicle BSFV or in a BSFV Simulator on base. I made 2 deployments to Kuwait while stationed at Ft. Hood (hostile but didn’t see any combat), once with the 1st CAV and another time with The Big Red 1. I loved every minute of being a desert rat with my crew.

Last edited:

kemposteen

Small world indeed. What years were you there? I was there from 1996-1998. I spent slot of time in the field on a Bradley Stinger Fight Fighting Vehicle BSFV or in a BSFV Simulator on base. I made 2 deployments to Kuwait while at Hood (hostile but didn’t see any combat).
I was there from 94-98. I was on M1A1 tanks. Summertime in the field inside a tank at that place was miserable. Everyone told me Germany was the place to serve and they offered me that to reenlist but Hood kind of burnt me out literally :)Sometimes I regret not staying another few years.
As you say, there were also good times and good friends.

Last edited:

HionHiFi

I was there from 94-98. I was on M1A1 tanks. Summertime in the field inside a tank at that place was miserable. Everyone told me Germany was the place to serve and they offered me that to reenlist but Hood kind of burnt me out literally :)Sometimes I regret not staying another few years.
Wow, we’ll have to take this conversation to a private conversation as not to over take this one.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Nice :) Congos.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Matt, thank you for that. I'll work on the interjecting issue in my upcoming interviews. I've known about this issue in myself for some time and understand the need to work it out of my conversations. It's not only annoying, but it's off-putting. Even I don't like to see/hear it. ;)

I hear you on that!

You already seem much more experienced than I am, and not long ago I did my first ever appearances on a podcast (not audio related). I'm very social and happy to yap in normal circumstances, but I'm mortified by public speaking so I was freaking out especially before the first one. Then upon listening I was annoyed by vocal ticks I never knew I had (or that came out under that format). Things got easier and more relaxed with successive podcasts though, and now I have much less anxiety. I don't know about your experience but you are much smoother than I am.

Best of luck, I'll certainly be looking in to your channel

Top Bottom