• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first REW measurements(KEF R3 META)

staticV3

Master Contributor
But then again, I started thinking that if I want to integrate my subs I will need to to use a software, which will again undermine the bit perfect playback. Is this true? If I want to use wasapi exclusive mode I will need to forget any kind of intervention?
You can use a miniDSP 2x4 HD/DDRC-24/Flex to get bit-perfect audio transmission and still apply room correction and sub integration.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I wouldn't worry about bit perfect playback if I were you. What the room does to your audio is far more important and it is what needs to be corrected.

The number 1 cause of unsatisfactory DSP correction is improper corrections made by the user. Subwoofers need bass management. In fact all systems need some form of bass management. Bass management is more than cutting peaks, you also need to align phase, time align, and much more.

At this point I encourage you to persist with DSP, but you will need to choose a DSP program. Some of them are "one button DSP" where a software algorithm decides on a correction for you. Other software have minimal automation, or no automation at all. This gives you finer control, but with a steep learning curve (and also the potential to make many mistakes along the way). I am skeptical of how accurate software automation can be compared to the manual approach. I have seen some good results, and some bad results. REW + RePhase are examples of software with no automation. If you go beyond its normal measurement functions and start considering using it for correction, you will quickly hit a brick wall and you will need a lot of guidance and reading. But trust me, it's worth it. You learn so much. You need to decide whether you want to go the easy route or take a more manual approach.

To get you started, here is a list of common software packages used by many members of ASR with a very brief description. Remember: more automation = easier, but also more dependent on software algorithm and less flexible. Less automation = steeper learning curve, but more user control.

- Dirac: a lot of automation, minimal user controls. Expensive.
- Focus Fidelity: new software, less automation than Dirac, user can over-ride algorithm. Inexpensive.
- Audiolense: more complete than Focus Fidelity, more advanced functions. Has some automation. User can over-ride algorithm. Inexpensive.
- Acourate: very minimal automation, more manual approach, very powerful. Extremely flexible. Inexpensive.
- REW + Rephase: zero automation, very manual, surprisingly powerful. Extremely flexible. Free.
- REW + MSO: some automation (software does the analysis for you) but the rest is manual. For bass only. MSO has a learning curve. Free.
- Audioweaver, Matlab, Octave: forget it unless you are an engineer or a maths nerd.

You could also use Room Shaper. This is a VST (meaning it is installed in your signal path) and it is almost plug and play. Corrects bass up to mid frequencies only.

Do some research, download a trial, and have a play.

OP
K

kolestonin

You can use a miniDSP 2x4 HD/DDRC-24/Flex to get bit-perfect audio transmission and still apply room correction and sub integration.
I gave a look and I would say that DDRC24 and Flex are my best options given they come with a Dirac module.

And let's suppose that Flex would be my choice.
My current chain is pc—> DAC —> preamp —>power amp

Do I have the options to?

a) keep all my current gear and insert the Flex in the chain? If yes, where in the chain?
b) replace my current DAC with Flex and use it in DAC mode with my current preamp?
c) completely remove my current DAC and preamp, and use Flex as DAC and preamp(volume controller)?

I need to say, that this last scenario is the most interesting.
Not only cause I am a big fan of simplicity, but also cause I will be able to sell my current equipment and cover the cost of the Flex. So I can give the money I was intended to spend for buing Flex in order to buy a Dirac license.
You need to know I use my Topping pre90 purely as a volume controller and not as a source selector cause I only have one source. But my understanding is that a big benefit of using a preamp as volume controller is it's analogue volume control. Cause a device with digital volume control require full volume in order to get the best out of it. And below maximum volume it's ability to expose detail is reduced cause SINAD and dynamic range will be reduced. If that's the case with c scenario, I will need to stick with a or b cause I am not willing to sacrifice absolutely nothing in terms of sound of quality no matter the simplicity or money gain.
I wouldn't worry about bit perfect playback if I were you. What the room does to your audio is far more important and it is what needs to be corrected.

The number 1 cause of unsatisfactory DSP correction is improper corrections made by the user. Subwoofers need bass management. In fact all systems need some form of bass management. Bass management is more than cutting peaks, you also need to align phase, time align, and much more.

At this point I encourage you to persist with DSP, but you will need to choose a DSP program. Some of them are "one button DSP" where a software algorithm decides on a correction for you. Other software have minimal automation, or no automation at all. This gives you finer control, but with a steep learning curve (and also the potential to make many mistakes along the way). I am skeptical of how accurate software automation can be compared to the manual approach. I have seen some good results, and some bad results. REW + RePhase are examples of software with no automation. If you go beyond its normal measurement functions and start considering using it for correction, you will quickly hit a brick wall and you will need a lot of guidance and reading. But trust me, it's worth it. You learn so much. You need to decide whether you want to go the easy route or take a more manual approach.

To get you started, here is a list of common software packages used by many members of ASR with a very brief description. Remember: more automation = easier, but also more dependent on software algorithm and less flexible. Less automation = steeper learning curve, but more user control.

- Dirac: a lot of automation, minimal user controls. Expensive.
- Focus Fidelity: new software, less automation than Dirac, user can over-ride algorithm. Inexpensive.
- Audiolense: more complete than Focus Fidelity, more advanced functions. Has some automation. User can over-ride algorithm. Inexpensive.
- Acourate: very minimal automation, more manual approach, very powerful. Extremely flexible. Inexpensive.
- REW + Rephase: zero automation, very manual, surprisingly powerful. Extremely flexible. Free.
- REW + MSO: some automation (software does the analysis for you) but the rest is manual. For bass only. MSO has a learning curve. Free.
- Audioweaver, Matlab, Octave: forget it unless you are an engineer or a maths nerd.

You could also use Room Shaper. This is a VST (meaning it is installed in your signal path) and it is almost plug and play. Corrects bass up to mid frequencies only.

Do some research, download a trial, and have a play.
Can't thank you enough for that!
Gathering all possible eq solutions with a brief explanation on each one of them is almost sticky material.
Very helpful.

staticV3

Master Contributor
keep all my current gear and insert the Flex in the chain? If yes, where in the chain?
PC->Flex Digital->DAC->Preamp->Power Amp

But really, PC->Flex->Power Amp would make a whole lot more sense.

Use the Flex as DSP, DAC, and Preamp.

But my understanding is that a big benefit of using a preamp as volume controller is it's analogue volume control. Cause a device with digital volume control require full volume in order to get the best out of it. And below maximum volume it's ability to expose detail is reduced cause SINAD and dynamic range will be reduced. If that's the case with c scenario, I will need to stick with a or b cause I am not willing to sacrifice absolutely nothing in terms of sound of quality no matter the simplicity or money gain.
That's a flawed understanding of digital vs analog volume control.

Unless you can actually hear the DAC's noise floor through your speakers at your MLP, which is highly unlikely with modern electronics, nothing is lost compared to an analog preamp in terms of detail retrieval and dynamic range.

Top Bottom