• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My First High End IEM - 64 Audio U12t

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
Let's see them then.

The FR measurements I posted were taken by Crinacle, and he uses a pinna-less set-up, so precision (i.e. positional repeatability in the centre of the coupler, at the same depth) will be high. If it wasn't he wouldn't be able to achieve measurements like these showing, in contrast to the so-called 'high end' U12t, very low channel and unit variance (at 1/40th the price):

View attachment 276208

View attachment 276209
I get what you're saying here and I've never used that machine to measure them, but I do know that moving them even slightly in a measurement tool yields results that can drastically vary. It's possible that the truthears do better with being moved than the 64 Audio stuff. I really only deal with custom stuff so I know that how they are aimed and how they seal is the most important part of the frequency response because it can change a lot. The Crinacle website has 3 different samples of the 12T's measured and they all vary a bit. I would be interested to see if aiming them differently has anything to do with it. The lower frequencies won't be affected as much by the aiming (for obvious reasons), but I know that when I'm doing my measurements (with pink noise through a Miemi) the frequency response changes a lot with any movement.
I will try to get some measurements from my work computer when I go in today.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
64 Audio - U12t - Day 3 Review
View attachment 276290

Today's finding were pretty basic to be honest.

It was confirmed that the stereo field issue and the distortion was coming from a faulty cable or adapter.

The new cable work as intended and both issues are gone.

View attachment 276288
View attachment 276289

I also found out that changing the ear tips change the tonal balance massively.

I first tried the Foam ones again (the first one I tried when I said it sounded like a kid with a 15 inch sub in his cheap car) and the bass was again overwhelming but the highs were not muffled anymore. Lacking a bit yes but not muffled.

So I changed the Ear tips and the modules quite a few times until I found a decent in-between.

I'm using one of the silicon one but with a small opening....the ones that have a pointy tip. Not the wide open ones.

That with the mX modules deliver the flattest response in my opinion.

Yet, the sense of depth is still to be found as is.

So what I did is I applied a good amount of pressure on the ear buds to keep them enter further in and kept applying a pressure and there it was !!!

All became full and well represented.

Still, there is no micro details to be found as we speak. It is still a lot less blurry then my 2 previous day but this is still a ''fun'' set of IEM.

The panning is great and a few tracks confirmed it but the centre field of the stereo field is like inside your head and it really move in 2D. As I said previously, the feeling of depth is pretty much absent. I mean there's a tiny bit of it but boy is it difficult to judge the instrument separation.

I also found out that the different module only add some saturation to the bass signal. The bass is not louder. Its just more and more saturated. So to me, the mX module is the only one usable.

By applying pressure to the ear buds and getting a better experience from them, I understood that some custom ear tips is a necessity if I want to even think of using those.

I think I now understand why the Customer service at 64 Audio highly advised against using custom tips with the U12t. It seems evident that it is for the same reason they didn't answer when I told them I needed the Custom ones.

Anyways...

Tonight I'm also testing a new monitoring system here. It's called VSX and it's a bundle that come with a set of Headphone with beryllium drivers and a spatial plugin to use in a DAW to simulate different mixing environment.

View attachment 276291

So the U12t are going back in their leather puck for the rest of the night.

So to resume. A very productive day.

The biggest issue was resolved with the new cable and the rendering seem to beg for custom ear tips, which I will provide an ear print to a custom ear tip company next week.

Oh, and before I forget (and that will make most of you happy), I did apply an EQ and lowered the digital output accordingly to avoid clipping and it did help a bit, I can't lie.

But nothing like the correct ear tips or applying the proper pressure on the ear buds so they can fit properly inside of my ears. Those 2 things alone change the rendering massively.

View attachment 276295

It's understandable that if you're used to the level of detail retrieval of the mix in a very good studio monitors, IEMs will surely sound dull and less resolving to what you are used to hearing. In my experience, they can only go upto 500 USD headphone level in terms of detail and overall sound. I would even argue that the details that you've been accustomed to would only be matched by one of the best headphones out there which is the Utopia (and Focal Clears would also be a huge disappointment in that detail department in my opinion, and maybe HD800 to some degree as well at least relative to Utopia)

OP
D

Deleted member 57422

It's understandable that if you're used to the level of detail retrieval of the mix in a very good studio monitors, IEMs will surely sound dull and less resolving to what you are used to hearing. In my experience, they can only go upto 500 USD headphone level in terms of detail and overall sound. I would even argue that the details that you've been accustomed to would only be matched by one of the best headphones out there which is the Utopia (and Focal Clears would also be a huge disappointment in that detail department in my opinion, and maybe HD800 to some degree as well at least relative to Utopia)

That is a VERY interesting point of view that you shared there. And I infinitely thank you for that because I think what you suggest ( and I'm starting to agree with) is that the rendering I'm used to in my studio will most probably never translate anywhere else. And thats does make 100% sense. My place is made for sparkling clean referencing in terms of frequencies critical listening. Just a very few have that sort of environment to listen to their music.

So if we take all this info into account, how would you see me use those IEM's for critical monitoring purposes? And i'm not being sarcastic for one tiny bit here. That's me, for the first time in this thread asking for advice.

I mean, I can now confidently say that this tonal balance does make sense to me to an extent. It is a bit out to MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES but I hear them now as something that is workable with in terms of tonal balance and frequency ''flatness'' if I apply pressure on the ear buds to be pushed inside my ears. That's until I will get my custom ear tips.

So how can I use them for my daily work ?

Compression is out of the way. There's no transient response in those. No details whatsoever. There's also no feel of 3dness. no instrument separation. I mean a tiny bit but this is ridiculous compared to y Q701. So other then tonal balance and stereo field placement, what else can we expect from those ?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 57422

I get what you're saying here and I've never used that machine to measure them, but I do know that moving them even slightly in a measurement tool yields results that can drastically vary. It's possible that the truthears do better with being moved than the 64 Audio stuff. I really only deal with custom stuff so I know that how they are aimed and how they seal is the most important part of the frequency response because it can change a lot. The Crinacle website has 3 different samples of the 12T's measured and they all vary a bit. I would be interested to see if aiming them differently has anything to do with it. The lower frequencies won't be affected as much by the aiming (for obvious reasons), but I know that when I'm doing my measurements (with pink noise through a Miemi) the frequency response changes a lot with any movement.
I will try to get some measurements from my work computer when I go in today.

I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

All I can say is that the U12t became a serious monitoring component at the moment I started applying pressure on them in my ear canal so it is tight and secured. AND KEPT THAT PRESSURE APPLIED WHILE LISTENING !!!

Other then that, they sound like sh!t. And I don't need to be careful here. This was unbalanced signal at its finest.

Those need custom ear tips or they are utterly useless in my opinion. Unless you want to be ''kid bassy trap yo'' with the m20 module and the foamy ear tips.

But again, maybe someone as a ear canal perfectly made for those.

I know I don't.

Those sounded like crap for 2 fawking days. Imagine that !!!!

The worst part is that they don't provide any manual to guide someone through his experience.

They are straight shooting themselves in the foot. This make no sense at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Time to move them on then.

BTW, why do you use IEM's for monitoring? My personal experience with IEM's is that they have so many problems that they are useless for critical listening. Microphonics, other transmitted sounds (like chewing or breathing), varying frequency response, comfort, and the sheer annoyance of putting them on. The frequency response, as you have noted, varies depending on the seal, insertion depth, shape of your ears, how much earwax you have, etc. and they definitely do not sound the same on your ears as they might to a test fixture. I do have IEM's but I use them for portability and they are great on aircraft. I get a much more consistent experience with over ear headphones.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

All I can say is that the U12t became a serious monitoring component at the moment I started applying pressure on them in my ear canal so it is tight and secured. AND KEPT THAT PRESSURE APPLIED WHILE LISTENING !!!

Other then that, they sound like sh!t. And I don't need to be careful here. This was unbalanced signal at its finest.

Those need custom ear tips or they are utterly useless in my opinion. Unless you want to be ''kid bassy trap yo'' with the m20 module and the foamy ear tips.

But again, maybe someone as a ear canal perfectly made for those.

I know I don't.

Those sounded like crap for 2 fawking days. Imagine that !!!!

The worst part is that they don't provide any manual to guide someone through his experience.

They are straight shooting themselves in the foot. This make no sense at all.
That's my point exactly. It's all about the fit. I didn't like the generics but the customs, which aim and seal properly are the best I've heard. But, I use them for live mixing musicians on stage. I would never use an IEM for studio mixing. I just don't think they work well in that application and they're not even close to good headphones. But headphones don't work well for musicians on stage. So, your experience makes total sense to me here and mine was similar.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor

BTW, why do you use IEM's for monitoring? My personal experience with IEM's is that they have so many problems that they are useless for critical listening. Microphonics, other transmitted sounds (like chewing or breathing), varying frequency response, comfort, and the sheer annoyance of putting them on. The frequency response, as you have noted, varies depending on the seal, insertion depth, shape of your ears, how much earwax you have, etc. and they definitely do not sound the same on your ears as they might to a test fixture. I do have IEM's but I use them for portability and they are great on aircraft. I get a much more consistent experience with over ear headphones.
This is well said.

OP
D

Deleted member 57422

What do you mean by move them on ?

I chose IEM's for ease of transportation.

I travel 6 months every year and live in places where acoustic reverberation is less then acceptable. ( South America to be precise ( I love latinas and well...you know.... made it happen.) , where every single wall is made out of bricks and cement blocks and everywhere, when you are inside any sort of building or houses it sound like you're a caveman, literally.) No way I'll bring or buy monitors to put in there. That would be acoustical suicide.

''Microphonics, other transmitted sounds (like chewing or breathing), varying frequency response, comfort, and the sheer annoyance of putting them on.''
I did not understand what you tried to say there, I'm sorry.

You talking about over ear, I'm kind of splitted in between the HD800S with their boosted high freqs and the studio mogul HD650 where I always thought they sounded like a cussion was in front of my wifes mouth. (kinky isnt it?!). But yeah, they sound kind of muffled a bit to me. Never worked with the HD 800s tho.

Joke aside, I'll have to make another purchase at one point unless I can make sense of those U12t and the VSX bundle I recently purchased and just received today.

OP
D

Deleted member 57422

That's my point exactly. It's all about the fit. I didn't like the generics but the customs, which aim and seal properly are the best I've heard. But, I use them for live mixing musicians on stage. I would never use an IEM for studio mixing. I just don't think they work well in that application and they're not even close to good headphones. But headphones don't work well for musicians on stage. So, your experience makes total sense to me here and mine was similar.
So what are my options in your opinion ?
And again, yes I'm asking for your opinion for the second time in case another lunatic come right in on attack mode. But I'm asking YOU specifically. Not another troll.

I can't trade a 2K$ set of IEM's with a 500$ cable for a 400$ set of HD650. this make no sense whatsoever.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
So what are my options in your opinion ?
And again, yes I'm asking for your opinion for the second time in case another lunatic come right in on attack mode. But I'm asking YOU specifically. Not another troll.

I can't trade a 2K$ set of IEM's with a 500$ cable for a 400$ set of HD650. this make no sense whatsoever.
"Another Troll"? Hahahaha. I kid. I'm no troll. Let me reach out to 64 and see if I can get some help for you. No promises. Your only option is to get customs. Otherwise, in-ears are totally inaccurate and will change day to day on you. I will get back to you asap.

OP
D

Deleted member 57422

"Another Troll"? Hahahaha. I kid. I'm no troll. Let me reach out to 64 and see if I can get some help for you. No promises. Your only option is to get customs. Otherwise, in-ears are totally inaccurate and will change day to day on you. I will get back to you asap.
I didn't meant you are a troll. I meant those 2-3 trolls that send out of context post and I keep on answering like I don't know they are clout chasing.

I know you're not a troll. All you said made sense in every context.

I would be very surprised if you were to be able to get something out of 64 audio.

I was polite and open from beginning to end and was treated as a nuisance in my point of view. ( or not answered at all for the last 2 emails)

They are still to answer my last 2 emails that are 2 and 4 days old respectively.

But let them know that if they are willing to provide me with a decent set of custom IEM's for my need, I will happily delete all my post in this thread at no extra cost as they will not charge me for their Customer service failure.

Respect goes both ways and I paid for something that was never delivered ( they mention THEMSELVES that they are made for studio engineering).

So lets cut the BS and talk the talk if they can walk the walk.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
What do you mean by move them on ?

Sell them and replace them with something more suitable for you.

I chose IEM's for ease of transportation.

Yeah I agree, IEM's have their place. Great for isolation, great for portability. Not so great for consistency, comfort, and other issues that I mentioned. And by "consistency", I mean that they do not sound the same every time you put them on, because so many things matter: insertion depth, earwax, adequacy of seal. I suffer from hayfever, and when I have a runny nose my IEM's sound different because the Eustachian tube is blocked.

I travel 6 months every year and live in places where acoustic reverberation is less then acceptable. ( South America to be precise ( I love latinas and well...you know.... made it happen.) , where every single wall is made out of bricks and cement blocks and everywhere, when you are inside any sort of building or houses it sound like you're a caveman, literally.) No way I'll bring or buy monitors to put in there. That would be acoustical suicide.

I wasn't suggesting monitors (I assume you mean little speakers). I think that over ear headphones would work well, if you have enough carry space to bring them with you.

''Microphonics, other transmitted sounds (like chewing or breathing), varying frequency response, comfort, and the sheer annoyance of putting them on.''
I did not understand what you tried to say there, I'm sorry.

Microphonics = the tendency of IEM's to transmit any sound from the cable to your ears. e.g. if the cable rubs on your shirt, you will hear it. This is why I think that most people do not appreciate the importance of IEM cables (and no I am not talking snake oil appreciation). Cables have to be non-microphonic, tangle free, have memory wire around your ears, and (for me) right angle plugs.

Transmitted sounds = if you block your ear canal, all sounds inside your head have no way to "escape" and so they resonate in your ear canal. Try it - wear your IEM's, make sure you have a good seal, and eat a biscuit. It will sound very loud.

When doctors examine the hearing of patients, there is something called a Rinne test and a Webber test. There are two types of hearing loss: conductive hearing loss (any obstruction outside the oval window of the Organ of Corti), and sensorineural hearing loss (any problem from the Organ of Corti to the brain). In a normal person, air conduction > bone conduction. In the Webber test, a tuning fork is placed on the patient's forehead and the patient is asked whether it is louder in one ear or the other. If it is, either the ear that is louder has conductive hearing loss, or the ear that is softer has sensorineural hearing loss. You then conduct a Rinne test. A tuning fork is placed outside the ear canal and the patient is asked to take note of the loudness. Then it is placed over the mastoid bone and asked if the sound is louder. If the sound is louder when placed over bone, then it is conductive hearing loss, because of the same mechanism I described above.

It is the same with bone conduction headphones. I have a pair that I use for swimming, and they are more effective if I also wear earplugs - and it's not only about blocking out the sound of splashing water. It actually helps with bone conduction.

In the same way, IEM's that block your ear canal will cause all sounds emanating from inside your head to be disproportionately loud.

You talking about over ear, I'm kind of splitted in between the HD800S with their boosted high freqs and the studio mogul HD650 where I always thought they sounded like a cussion was in front of my wifes mouth. (kinky isnt it?!). But yeah, they sound kind of muffled a bit to me. Never worked with the HD 800s tho.

Joke aside, I'll have to make another purchase at one point unless I can make sense of those U12t and the VSX bundle I recently purchased and just received today.

I am not a fan of either HD800 or HD650 because they sound too bright to me. I thought this even before I saw the measurements.

Incidentally, just yesterday I had a little discussion with Sean Olive on his facebook page where he talked about meeting Axel Grell (designer of the HD800 and HD650). Apparently, "At CanJam Axel said he doesn't think headphones should have a bass boost. They should be flat. People like bass because they are unsophisticated listeners like you and me, and all of our trained and untrained listeners." (cut and paste from his response).

It made me think about whether compliance to the Harman target is all that important, so I asked him if whether "you have an opinion of the commercial success of those headphones given that they deviate so far from the Harman target curve. Do you think there may be a subset of listeners who prefer a HD800 type target curve that you did not capture when you did your study?". His reply was "Yes. There is indeed a subset of listeners who prefer less bass/ more Treble than Harman Target. In our segmentation analysis these are listeners who tend to be older ( possibly with age related hearing loss) and/or disproportionately female. Less bass likely compensates for hearing loss. I'm also told audio professionals like this sound profile according to Sonarworks CEO . I wonder if it better matches the Yamaha NS10 or is it noise induced hearing loss at play? Hearing loss is an occupational hazard for recording engineers and musicians."

That answer seems sensible to me, so I no longer think compliance to the Harman curve is all-important if the person who authored the seminal paper himself acknowledges there are different preferences, even one that deviates as wildly from the curve as the HD800S. So, I will NOT pan the HD800S/HD650 even though I don't like them myself. They have other admirable qualities, but for me the tone is not right. They might work for you.

Sean Olive also brought up an important point, that is: "Less bass likely compensates for hearing loss." Your 64 Audios mostly comply with the Harman curve and you complained that they have too much bass. I do not think they have too much bass. I do not mean to be impolite, but if you have hearing loss, then any IEM or headphone tuned to the Harman curve is likely to have too much bass for you. And that includes nearly all the headphones suggested in this thread, including those $50 IEM's other ASR members are urging you to buy.

My suggestion earlier in this thread was: it is your hearing, your ears, and your HRTF. Nobody can predict what sounds good to you, not even Harman. Harman only predicts what sounds good to a population. Only buy headphones after trying, and if that is not possible, make sure there is a watertight returns policy.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if we take all this info into account, how would you see me use those IEM's for critical monitoring purposes? And i'm not being sarcastic for one tiny bit here. That's me, for the first time in this thread asking for advice.

I think only you would know. I personally never used my IEMs for critical monitoring purposes and only accepted the fact that they're not going to match even a home studio level speakers in that regard (lateral depth soundstage). They're extremely good for live tracking purposes though aside from typical consumer use.

I would suggest to keep trying out various eartips from different manufacturers (Spinfit W1, Azla Xelastic, Azla Sednafit, Spinfit CP145, CP155, JVC Spiraldots, Moondrop Sring tips etc.). To me I find that a large Spinfit W1 pushes the driver farther away from my ears rather than getting it right on the canal (yes this is against custom IEM principles). However, because of the tuning of my IEM (inverse-Harman curve), the drivers sitting far away allowed to reduce midbass presence as well as increasing soundstage perception

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 57422

Sell them and replace them with something more suitable for you.

Yeah I agree, IEM's have their place. Great for isolation, great for portability. Not so great for consistency, comfort, and other issues that I mentioned. And by "consistency", I mean that they do not sound the same every time you put them on, because so many things matter: insertion depth, earwax, adequacy of seal. I suffer from hayfever, and when I have a runny nose my IEM's sound different because the Eustachian tube is blocked.

I wasn't suggesting monitors (I assume you mean little speakers). I think that over ear headphones would work well, if you have enough carry space to bring them with you.

Microphonics = the tendency of IEM's to transmit any sound from the cable to your ears. e.g. if the cable rubs on your shirt, you will hear it. This is why I think that most people do not appreciate the importance of IEM cables (and no I am not talking snake oil appreciation). Cables have to be non-microphonic, tangle free, have memory wire around your ears, and (for me) right angle plugs.

Transmitted sounds = if you block your ear canal, all sounds inside your head have no way to "escape" and so they resonate in your ear canal. Try it - wear your IEM's, make sure you have a good seal, and eat a biscuit. It will sound very loud.

When doctors examine the hearing of patients, there is something called a Rinne test and a Webber test. There are two types of hearing loss: conductive hearing loss (any obstruction outside the oval window of the Organ of Corti), and sensorineural hearing loss (any problem from the Organ of Corti to the brain). In a normal person, air conduction > bone conduction. In the Webber test, a tuning fork is placed on the patient's forehead and the patient is asked whether it is louder in one ear or the other. If it is, either the ear that is louder has conductive hearing loss, or the ear that is softer has sensorineural hearing loss. You then conduct a Rinne test. A tuning fork is placed outside the ear canal and the patient is asked to take note of the loudness. Then it is placed over the mastoid bone and asked if the sound is louder. If the sound is louder when placed over bone, then it is conductive hearing loss, because of the same mechanism I described above.

It is the same with bone conduction headphones. I have a pair that I use for swimming, and they are more effective if I also wear earplugs - and it's not only about blocking out the sound of splashing water. It actually helps with bone conduction.

In the same way, IEM's that block your ear canal will cause all sounds emanating from inside your head to be disproportionately loud.

I am not a fan of either HD800 or HD650 because they sound too bright to me. I thought this even before I saw the measurements.

Incidentally, just yesterday I had a little discussion with Sean Olive on his facebook page where he talked about meeting Axel Grell (designer of the HD800 and HD650). Apparently, "At CanJam Axel said he doesn't think headphones should have a bass boost. They should be flat. People like bass because they are unsophisticated listeners like you and me, and all of our trained and untrained listeners." (cut and paste from his response).

It made me think about whether compliance to the Harman target is all that important, so I asked him if whether "you have an opinion of the commercial success of those headphones given that they deviate so far from the Harman target curve. Do you think there may be a subset of listeners who prefer a HD800 type target curve that you did not capture when you did your study?". His reply was "Yes. There is indeed a subset of listeners who prefer less bass/ more Treble than Harman Target. In our segmentation analysis these are listeners who tend to be older ( possibly with age related hearing loss) and/or disproportionately female. Less bass likely compensates for hearing loss. I'm also told audio professionals like this sound profile according to Sonarworks CEO . I wonder if it better matches the Yamaha NS10 or is it noise induced hearing loss at play? Hearing loss is an occupational hazard for recording engineers and musicians."

That answer seems sensible to me, so I no longer think compliance to the Harman curve is all-important if the person who authored the seminal paper himself acknowledges there are different preferences, even one that deviates as wildly from the curve as the HD800S. So, I will NOT pan the HD800S/HD650 even though I don't like them myself. They might work for you.
Hhahahahaha , Hey man. All you said was impressive here, and I can't lie. for all the knowledge that you shared, I'd be more then happy to buy 30 minutes of your time if you are willing to do a video-chat session so we can talk about all you just said. There is just so much important and useful information that I just don't know where to start and I find it extremely useful.

Just to make it very clear, i'm not sarcastic in any bits of it. I really think I could learn so much from what you said but a writing post in a headphone thread is definitely not enough to be able to gather as much as I could. So if there is any way I could book a video-conference with you, i would really appreciate. Also let me know If I can contact you in private message.

I know it might sound disproportionate to you but I can relate to every single bit you said and I would need to talk with you face to face to understand the knowlkedge you are trying to share.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Thank you. I do not think I have much information to share, because I am not Crinacle and I do not have as much knowledge about headphones as you might think. I am not even an audio professional myself, whereas you are. You are certainly welcome to PM me, but in the end the recommendation is the same: hear them first and if you can't, make sure you can return them.

(edit) oh yeah, one more suggestion. EQ your 64 Audios to cut the bass. That last EQ you posted only corrected the HF dips. Fixing tonality works wonders in my experience. Won't do anything for lack of spatial qualities though (which was your other beef), but that problem is common to all IEM's. Try looking at the HD800 freq response curve, you will see it has a massive bass cut. Your 64 Audios are the opposite, it has a bass boost to comply with Harman. Perhaps a bass cut will fix your problem.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 57422

Thank you. I do not think I have much information to share, because I am not Crinacle and I do not have as much knowledge about headphones as you might think. You are certainly welcome to PM me, but in the end the recommendation is the same: hear them first and if you can't, make sure you can return them.
May I tell you that I wouldn't even think of asking you to pay for a video chat with you if you were Crinacle.

I'm actually trying to flee away from that type of ''absolute truth'' individuals.

Your approach (even if you don't believe in it) really talk to me.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See , you saying that makes me want to share 3 of the mixes I did for a Warner Music Group upcoming producer while I was in South America. All of them completely mixed on a set of MPOW x3. (50$ Bluetooth earbuds)

Not gonna say no to a demo :). @acbarn shared some of his work here and enjoyed them immensely as well

OP
D

Deleted member 57422

Not gonna say no to a demo :). @acbarn shared some of his work here and enjoyed them immensely as well
I'll have to do that in private if you don't mind and will have to ask you to keep it for yourself as I lost contact on that project progression.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at all. You can just put a generic "track #1" to keep it private. I'm just gonna listen to it on my IEM

OP
D

Deleted member 57422

(edit) oh yeah, one more suggestion. EQ your 64 Audios to cut the bass. That last EQ you posted only corrected the HF dips. Fixing tonality works wonders in my experience. Won't do anything for lack of spatial qualities though (which was your other beef), but that problem is common to all IEM's. Try looking at the HD800 freq response curve, you will see it has a massive bass cut. Your 64 Audios are the opposite, it has a bass boost to comply with Harman. Perhaps a bass cut will fix your problem.

I just did it to please the crowd. There is not one chance that this EQ is staying on my master bus.

I constantly counter reference with my studio monitors and other cans, including that new VSX I was describing. This is a new system I will try to integrate to my workflow.

By the way, as I said in my last review, there is no overwhelming Bass anymore. It was created by the Foam ear tips.

You can read it in my Review Day 3 up top.

I'll ask the audiologist if she has time for an hearing check when I'll go do my ear print on Tuesday.

You might be right about me going deaf, but again, that would be surprising given the character of my job.

If I was a Front of House at a loud venue, i'd understand but being a Mixing Engineer by trade, I am always extremely careful about my level and very rarely push my monitoring system at Party level. And if I do, its for a very brief moment of 5 to 20 seconds. Something I cannot say about most of the population that I see in the traffic windows down and hearing their music in my car.

But I might also be used to a neutral sound and not a bass heavy sound which is something I could say about the U12t and not about my monitoring system nor the new VSX that I received yesterday.

It is also quite frequent to see bassheads thinking that a neutral and flat frequency response is dull and lifeless.

While I can understand their point of view, we cannot be basshead as it doesn't reflect a real life situation which is actually our craft...to make it sound as credible as we possibly can.

So even if I think that the point of hearing loss is valid, I can reassure you that it doesn't apply to me as I can very easily make a difference between a hyped sound and a flat sound as I work on flat. While the MPOW x3 were extremely hyped it the lows just like the U12t are, I also cross referenced on my Q701 and made my final revisions in a Studio where I was.

So I'll take that comment with a grain of salt.

Professional monitoring solution have a flat line from 20hz to 20khz target curve, not because they are deaf but because they are the reference in sound quality.

The audiophile enjoy our work on their scooped monitoring system. Not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom