• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first hifi system

aldo24

Hello everyone! Im new here so please let me know if I make mistakes.
I want to start my journey as an audiophile. I always look for budget and dont wanna spend too much because I dont have high expectetions, though, I think we always look to buy the best according our budget.
I dont have room measurement yet, but the listening position will remain under 3 meters.
I've found some solutions and want your opinions. Budget around 500 eur.

Of course I know about actives, and looked the kali lp-6 v2, mackies mr626, jbl 306, and other actives in that price point, but I tend to fear actives and somehow in my corrupted head I think its better to have seperate amp / speaker / etc.
The best deal for passives around here is the JBL A130, and I like the idea of monoblock them through this power amps https://www.monoprice.eu/collection...noprice-unity-100-watt-bridgeable-power-amp-1 and call it a day...
On the other heand, I can find the Sony STR-DH190 for 280 eur. I dont care about inputs or bluetooth, I can add a input selector later, I care about quality and future proofing... Is it worthy to mess with passives or actives are the way to go?
Source will be a huawei tablet through my ikko zerda itm01 dongle dac for the 1st input. The other might be a cd transport feed digital to an ohelbach dac (which has coaxial and toslink switch) and use the toslink for tv and coaxial for the transport... I listen to spotify for now but plan to start collecting CD'S.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
I would say check used market. you can get a nice AVR for less than 200eur and spend more on the speakers. If I am going to buy a new pair of speakers (to use on my desktop), I'd definitely go with active for simplicity

OP
A

aldo24

I would say check used market. you can get a nice AVR for less than 200eur and spend more on the speakers. If I am going to buy a new pair of speakers (to use on my desktop), I'd definitely go with active for simplicity
thanks for the reply. Im planning to listen on my living room...

delta76

Major Contributor
Just to be clear I already have a Home theatre setup in my living room, so desktop is the only place I can justify adding new speakers. I did not mean that "active speakers are for desktop only"
But as I mentioned, with 500 eur you should definitely go check the used market first. best bang for your buck.

Triliza

Forum Donor
If I can ask, what will your source for the music be exactly? How are you planning to use the tablet, and imho I don't think it'll be the best move to start collecting CDs, for the price of one you can stream music for a month. Buying digital music you want to own is something to consider, but not in a physical cd format (if that's what you mean) unless you like the media.

Reactions: RHO
OP
A

aldo24

If I can ask, what will your source for the music be exactly? How are you planning to use the tablet, and imho I don't think it'll be the best move to start collecting CDs, for the price of one you can stream music for a month. Buying digital music you want to own is something to consider, but not in a physical cd format (if that's what you mean) unless you like the media.
Source will be spotify from now... I know 320kbps MP3 is a joke to even bother upgrading but in my head it all plays a role. Collecting CD'S is something I want to do because I love having a physical touch with media! I can see my self moving to Tidal when I set up my gear, CD'S can't be my main source just collecting few for a small colection maybe 100?...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Triliza

Forum Donor
Source will be spotify from now... I know 320kbps MP3 is a joke to even bother upgrading but in my head it all plays a role. Collecting CD'S is something I want to do because I love having a physical touch with media! I can see my self moving to Tidal when I set up my gear, CD'S can't be my main source just collecting few for a small colection maybe 100?...
320kbps is fine, I can't tell the difference to cd according to some online test I did. Collections are nice to have if you like the idea, vinyl has make a comeback too.

OP
A

aldo24

320kbps is fine, I can't tell the difference to cd according to some online test I did. Collections are nice to have if you like the idea, vinyl has make a comeback too.
Vinyl is hard to collect and to maintain and its more expensive to get it play right... I think CD is easier... any suggestion for my 1st set up?

delta76

Major Contributor
Vinyl is hard to collect and to maintain and its more expensive to get it play right... I think CD is easier... any suggestion for my 1st set up?
unless you are into Vinyl for nostalgia reasons, they do not sound better than CD.
Get your speakers and amp/dac ready first. you can test if you can hear a difference between 320kbps and flac first, then you can decide

Holmz

Major Contributor
I'd prefer new equipment...

I do as well… But some of the gear I have costs 10x more than your budget and it was used.

On the other heand, I can find the Sony STR-DH190 for 280 eur. I dont care about inputs or bluetooth, I can add a input selector later, I care about quality and future proofing... Is it worthy to mess with passives or actives are the way to go?
Source will be a huawei tablet through my ikko zerda itm01 dongle dac for the 1st input.

If used if not to your liking, then that Sony seems like an option.
Personally, I would be going used, or the Sony with some used speakers.
Or BlueTooth or active speakers and then you do not need the Sony.

Triliza

Forum Donor
My CD's are all in the basement now, ripped all of them and not missing them much to be honest. About your system, don't overthink it too much and buy the best you can get within your budget. For speakers, actives are very tempting, 2,5-3 meters is farfield though, so if you like your music loud you may feel they are lacking in spl and bass output (without a sub) at this price point. With passive speakers it'll be a little bit easier to change a component as you go along.

JBL A130 are a good choice, especially with some eq Amir's measurements were very nice. Other choices reviewed in ASR are Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 and Polk Signature Elite ES20. You can either get the Sony STR-DH190, which measured decent but it seems doesn't like it to be driven hard (and I find too large for my tastes and available space). Otherwise you may just buy a AIYIMA A07 and couple it with a Topping E30 II DAC, if the available inputs on the dac covers your need.

The choices above are more or less within your allocated budget, but you'll need some more for cables, stands and the like.

Peterinvan

Last edited:
Top Bottom