• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first HiFi build - cost effective and highly recommended!

venezuela162

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, but thought I'd share my first build with separates: DALI Spektor 1 speakers paired to a Loxjie A30 Integrated DAC / AMP. I live in Europe and paid a total of 344 Euros for this, which is currently roughly 344 USD too. Use case is primarily as desktop speakers for music / videos from my Amazon Music HD account via computer, though I also wanted something that could be used as a bedroom or even living room system in a pinch.

I've now had these around a week so they are well worn in, and (spoiler alert) - they sound fantastic! I'm very happy with the sound quality and with my purchase, especially given the price, and these are highly recommended to anyone looking for a small, affordable, hi-fi system. See picture below...

1. Speakers: Dali Spektor 1. I got these on deep discount for 155 euros through Amazon Netherlands, because I've been lusting after Dali speakers for a while (gotta love the Danish design) and because they got a stellar review on WhatHiFi (though not on ASR...). Sound stage and imaging are great, they are forgiving as to placement (though you can't put them up against the wall - the port needs to breathe), and low-frequencies sound surprisingly strong and natural. They are small - you can carry one under each arm - and hence perfect for desktop use.

I'm comparing these specifically to a pair of Klipsch The Fives, a slightly larger active bookshelf speaker that I also own, and the main difference is in the lows. The Klipsch speakers have boomy, muddy, artificial bass, whereas the Dali's are much more neutral and have a natural roll-off. In the Dali's, bass is clean and strong (for the size), but never boomy and always natural.

The speakers sound 'bigger' than they are... but they can't defy the laws of physics. They are pint-sized and that, and a sometimes tiring high-frequency from the tweeter, are the only lows I can mention.

2. Integrated DAC / AMP: Loxjie A30. Got this for 189 euros from Amazon, based on the stellar review from ASR and because it was exactly what I was looking for:
  • Small (for desktop use);
  • Powerful enough for nearfield listening with the Dali's (rated to 60 watts @ 6 ohms);
  • Neutral, clean, detailed sound highlighted by online reviewers;
  • Integrated DAC for my Amazon Music HD music streaming;
  • Bluetooth 5.0 with AptX, just in case;
  • Sub out, in case I ever need it.
I don't have any direct point of comparison, since this is the first separate Amp I've ever purchased... but hot damn, it sounds good. I can't add anything to what other reviewers have mentioned; it's a neutral and analytical amp that pairs well with the somewhat colored presentation of the Dali's.

The only negative: the first Loxjie A30 I received simply did not turn on, so had to return it and get another. Clearly QC could be higher...

So that's it folks... you could easily spend 350 dollars / euros on a set of computer speakers that would not perform as well as this setup, IMO, or have the possibility / flexibility for future upgrades.

Which leads me to: any subwoofer recommendations? If/when I decided to get a sub, what sort of woofer size and amps should I be considering to pair well with this setup for 2.1 music listening and movies?

Attachments

• IMG-0811.jpg
    IMG-0811.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 386

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Congrats! That's a nice little setup!
They are pint-sized and that, and a sometimes tiring high-frequency from the tweeter, are the only lows I can mention.
What is your source? Assuming it's your computer? If so, have you looked into some EQ/room correction software? This would go a long way in smoothing out the response and taming offensive highs.

As far as subwoofer size/power, this will largely depend on the size of your room - the bigger the room, the more subwoofer you'd need, in general. I'm currently using a 12" sealed SVS sub in my desktop setup, but I understand SVS pricing may not be particularly competitive in Europe. Maybe our other members can recommend something for you.

OP
venezuela162

venezuela162

Congrats! That's a nice little setup!

What is your source? Assuming it's your computer? If so, have you looked into some EQ/room correction software? This would go a long way in smoothing out the response and taming offensive highs.

As far as subwoofer size/power, this will largely depend on the size of your room - the bigger the room, the more subwoofer you'd need, in general. I'm currently using a 12" sealed SVS sub in my desktop setup, but I understand SVS pricing may not be particularly competitive in Europe. Maybe our other members can recommend something for you.
Source is my Macbook Pro - mostly Amazon Music HD, sometimes videos from HBO Max, Amazon Prime video, and Youtube. This is why I looked for a solid DAC in the amp, and the Loxjie hasn't disappointed.

As to EQ / room correction: yes, I need to play around with the built in EQ on the amp before anything else. So far I've been listening mostly on "direct", i.e. no EQ.

Looking forward to sub recommendations. SVS has great reviews but yes, it's significantly more expensive in Europe. Can I ask what system your SVS is mated to?

OP
venezuela162

venezuela162

Have you seen my ‘subwoofer comparison’ spreadsheet?
I did come across it at some point, but will look again - thank you. I was more looking for recommendations for my specific setup, i.e. taking into account small speakers, desktop listening, etc. Seems like getting a 12-inch subwoofer (the most popular size?) would be overkill and completely drown out my mains. Could be wrong though.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking forward to sub recommendations. SVS has great reviews but yes, it's significantly more expensive in Europe. Can I ask what system your SVS is mated to?
Loxjie D30 DAC, Emotiva A-100 amp, KEF Q150 speakers, SVS SB-2000 sub.

Most of my music listening is from Foobar2000, so I use the free Mathaudio Room EQ plugin, and for sound coming from sources other than Foobar2000, I use Equalizer APO and Peace extension, but I realize these may not be available for Mac.

Timstunes

Forum Donor
I've been lurking on these forums for a while, but thought I'd share my first build with separates: DALI Spektor 1 speakers paired to a Loxjie A30 Integrated DAC / AMP. I live in Europe and paid a total of 344 Euros for this, which is currently roughly 344 USD too. Use case is primarily as desktop speakers for music / videos from my Amazon Music HD account via computer, though I also wanted something that could be used as a bedroom or even living room system in a pinch.

I've now had these around a week so they are well worn in, and (spoiler alert) - they sound fantastic! I'm very happy with the sound quality and with my purchase, especially given the price, and these are highly recommended to anyone looking for a small, affordable, hi-fi system. See picture below...

1. Speakers: Dali Spektor 1. I got these on deep discount for 155 euros through Amazon Netherlands, because I've been lusting after Dali speakers for a while (gotta love the Danish design) and because they got a stellar review on WhatHiFi (though not on ASR...). Sound stage and imaging are great, they are forgiving as to placement (though you can't put them up against the wall - the port needs to breathe), and low-frequencies sound surprisingly strong and natural. They are small - you can carry one under each arm - and hence perfect for desktop use.

I'm comparing these specifically to a pair of Klipsch The Fives, a slightly larger active bookshelf speaker that I also own, and the main difference is in the lows. The Klipsch speakers have boomy, muddy, artificial bass, whereas the Dali's are much more neutral and have a natural roll-off. In the Dali's, bass is clean and strong (for the size), but never boomy and always natural.

The speakers sound 'bigger' than they are... but they can't defy the laws of physics. They are pint-sized and that, and a sometimes tiring high-frequency from the tweeter, are the only lows I can mention.

2. Integrated DAC / AMP: Loxjie A30. Got this for 189 euros from Amazon, based on the stellar review from ASR and because it was exactly what I was looking for:
  • Small (for desktop use);
  • Powerful enough for nearfield listening with the Dali's (rated to 60 watts @ 6 ohms);
  • Neutral, clean, detailed sound highlighted by online reviewers;
  • Integrated DAC for my Amazon Music HD music streaming;
  • Bluetooth 5.0 with AptX, just in case;
  • Sub out, in case I ever need it.
I don't have any direct point of comparison, since this is the first separate Amp I've ever purchased... but hot damn, it sounds good. I can't add anything to what other reviewers have mentioned; it's a neutral and analytical amp that pairs well with the somewhat colored presentation of the Dali's.

The only negative: the first Loxjie A30 I received simply did not turn on, so had to return it and get another. Clearly QC could be higher...

So that's it folks... you could easily spend 350 dollars / euros on a set of computer speakers that would not perform as well as this setup, IMO, or have the possibility / flexibility for future upgrades.

Which leads me to: any subwoofer recommendations? If/when I decided to get a sub, what sort of woofer size and amps should I be considering to pair well with this setup for 2.1 music listening and movies?
Congratulations! Sweet rig.

Top Bottom