• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first and special Hi Fi system

OP
O

operation

Sorry for the late reply, but I was in a refletion mode.

Probably this one:
Yes, this is exactly it. There are several speakers you can try there.
1665130227822.jpg

I still haven't decided which option I should choose.

After talking with my doctor, he told me that the kidney market is hot right now, so I now have another option.

Option 3:
- 8040b + Cables ~ 2000€
- EX5 ~ 350€
- Total ~2350€

I'm trying to avoid the sub, because it seems that is complicated to integrate with a system and I’m also trying to avoid spending too much money on a DAC. After taking a closer look at the MiniDSP Flex I realised that the price is around ~750 and they are not easy to find.
I have learned from this article that it is better to spend more money on the speakers than on the AMP/DAC.

But as you know, I'm a complete noob at this, so I'm probably making a very stupid decision, that is why I want to know your opinion.

So, to summarised. I'm not a professional, I just like to listen music, mostly metal, with the best quality possible and I like to listen a good bass, the one that you feel in your chest. I want to place the speakers in a living room, at a distance around 2 ~ 3 meters.
- Do you think that the option 3 is good for me, since I'm trying to avoid a sub?
- From what I have read, the 8040b doesn't have the D grade Amp, is that important?
- Do you think that I should look for a consumer hi-fy system instead of the Genelec speakers?
- After I tried the speakers at the store, I felt some ear pain, I thought it was because of the sound level, but then I found that there are some people complaining about this.
Do you think that this is a real problem and that my ears are not suitable for these speakers, or do you think this happened because of other factors, like the room size, or the fact that I was very close to the wall behind me? I'm planning to go to the shop today to try it again and see if my ears respond well.

Once again, sorry for these questions and thank you for your help.

Robert C

Do those Genelec speakers have built in DSP?

A useful tool for calculating speaker placement: http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/

If the speakers fatigued you during the audition, this could become a problem later on.

My amp, Yamaha R-N803D (positive review here), has a very basic room EQ function, but the effect is excellent. I never had a problem with fatigue from my speakers, but the amp's room EQ helped to soldify the soundstage and make everything sound more even. I really think DSP is important, even if it's only a basic one like in my amp.

Harryharryharry

For your budget Genelec 8030's, Topping EXE5. Done

That gives you awesome top end speakers, a great balanced DAC with decent headphone amp and includes BT and you won't need speaker stands. Later add a sub.

Here's a pic.
There's cheaper but equally good DAC options if OP doesn't need the sub output headphone amp such as the smsl d0100

Last edited:

Harryharryharry

Or even cheaper for a non balanced dac with the smsl su6 which if not plugging into a pc and short cable lengths would also be great

Harryharryharry

My recommendation would be to get the minidsp flex with dirac if you can justify the budget. The room correction is a big upgrade and will help do the system justice in your room.

Also extendible to add a sub if you want (it is a bit of faff but not too hard if you've got some time).

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But as you know, I'm a complete noob at this, so I'm probably making a very stupid decision, that is why I want to know your opinion.
I find nothing stupid about that decision. You will have spent the majority of your dollars on excellent speakers with built in amps that should bring you many years of good listening. The DAC measures state of the art and gives you flexibility to add a sub in the future if you desire. Or if you come into some money, sell the the DAC and buy a minidsp flex. The Topping is relatively cheap and you would not lose that much in resale.

DesertHawk

Consider also that bluetooth will be inferior to something like Spotify Connect. So perhaps consider a streaming device that can receive WLAN data directly from the streaming app, rather than having to go via a bluetooth conversion. An example might be a WiiM Mini connected to the digital optical input of a Yamaha amplifier.
+1 for wiim. I love mine with Qobuz. There's a couple of detailed threads on it on the site. Amir did a review and showed that it is nearly flawless when using digital out (and then the limiting factor becomes your dac). I forget the stats but his testing of the built-in wiim dac showed it to be OK but not much beyond that.

He ultimately doesn't recommend it because the Wiim software is finicky (and there's really nice software out there i.e. Roon which the device doesn't support). I find the Wiim software to be fine and they have sent out about a dozen firmware upgrades since Amir tested it. I believe if you use Tidal you can leverage Tidal connect and bypass the Wiim app altogether but I'm not sure on that. Either way, from my perspective, the Wiim app is fine.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's cheaper but equally good DAC options if OP doesn't need the sub output headphone amp such as the smsl d0100
Yes, I agree but with the HA and the second outs he's not limited.

OP
O

operation

Thank you again.

This will be the last pack of question, sorry to bother you with this.

1 - If I decide to buy a sub, what do I need to do to make it work? Will any sub pair nicely with the genelec speakers? Do you have any tutorial?
2 - Is it possible to connect a Sub to EX5?
3 - Are there any alternatives to the minidsp flex?
4 - If I buy a Sub it must be pretty and probably white (girfriend requirments), SVS 3000 Micro looks nice, but it is very expensive... Do you know if there is anything under 500€? The cheapest the better.

Today I went again to musicstore to listen the genelec. I also went to another store (saturn.de) to listen to some hi-fi system and even soundbars. I realized that a punchybass is something that really fills my soul, that is why I´m considering a sub now... This is not easy, too much options xD

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
The 8030c is an excellent option (I use them for my PC listening) paired with an SVS 3000 micro subwoofer. I use a MiniDSP flex to integrate the sub and also give me Dirac, which is an optional license. The MiniDSP would be a great alternative to the Topping if you can stretch to that. If your critical listening is at 2m and then you want to have nice sounding music at 4-5m with a bit less volume you will be fine.
I haven't read all the replies but I noticed that @operation has an excellent doctor and organ dealer :D ...
The best way, IMO is to build the system. You can begin with very good speakers, learn how to make these sound right in your environment, later add one subwoofer and ending up with at least 2 subwoofers.
I'd suggest the Genelec 8040, since you like them, frankly you can't go wrong with Genelec or Revel or Neuman if you have these in your area... Let's stay on Genelec 8040.
Get the miniDSP Flex. This is a bargain-priced, superb audio Hub/DSP/Crossover/EQ/ and it does LDAC so you are covered, your smartphone just became your source... Done.

Much later you keep the miniDSP Flex and the 8040 and add some NOT-GENELEC subwoofer. You could , of course, go all Genelec in which case you may have to part with an arm and a leg, your dealer will be so pleased :) .. Genelec subwoofers are expensive and IMHO, not competitive with SVS, HSU, Rythmik, MonoPrice, etc...; , you are in Europe, I don't know what is as good as SVS in Europe, perhaps Arendal? If you go with subs , the miniDSP Flex is key to almost perfect subwoofer integration, not the only way but one of the best and of course people on ASR... IN the meantime, judicious use of EQ provided by the Flex ... BTW, nothing against the EX5 , I am almost a Topping fanboi ...but you won't hear a difference in sound between the EX5 and the Flex... Not sure anyone can :)...
my €0.02 ...

Peace

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you again.

This will be the last pack of question, sorry to bother you with this.

1 - If I decide to buy a sub, what do I need to do to make it work? Will any sub pair nicely with the genelec speakers? Do you have any tutorial?
2 - Is it possible to connect a Sub to EX5?
3 - Are there any alternatives to the minidsp flex?
4 - If I buy a Sub it must be pretty and probably white (girfriend requirments), SVS 3000 Micro looks nice, but it is very expensive... Do you know if there is anything under 500€? The cheapest the better.

Today I went again to musicstore to listen the genelec. I also went to another store (saturn.de) to listen to some hi-fi system and even soundbars. I realized that a punchybass is something that really fills my soul, that is why I´m considering a sub now... This is not easy, too much options xD

The 8040 combined with the EX5 will deliver an excellent sound given the right source. Given the larger driver in the 8040, you will get some good Bass as well and your room is not very large. Don't spend much on cables, a set of good quality 6m balanced leads should cost about 40 euro.

Integrating the sub with the speakers is very important. You will either need an ability to apply filters and calibration in the sub itself or get something that will let you calibrate a subwoofer channel (like the MiniDSP). There is a lot of information both here on the forum and generally on the internet about this. Youtube has a few good tutorials also.

There is a cheaper MiniDSP option: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

The trick is to get the subwoofer output separated so you can calibrate this independently of the front L/R speakers. There is a lot of good information on the MiniDSP website as well about sub integration.

I would be very happy with the 8040 + EX5 and if that is your budget, go for it and then upgrade as you are ready. Both of these components are state of the art.

Harryharryharry

Definitely encourage you to go for the flex for the proper sub integration and room correction if you can!

Interestingly on the sub, you say you like punchy bass, when I got a decent sub I was surprised it was so... Subby. I think I was expecting chest thump mid bass but it's actually earthquake super low frequencies that pull through.

That said I experimented with adding some mid bass EQ which you can do on the flex.

One of the best benefits of a sub is how much it improves the main speakers by taking away those difficult low frequencies from it's duty.

Good luck!

OP
O

operation

Thank you again for you help.

I haven't read all the replies but I noticed that @operation has an excellent doctor and organ dealer :D ...
Yes they work well, the only problem is that I'm running out of kidneys xD

Tomorrow I will go to the store to buy the Genelec 8040, I hope that they are still there, because there were only 2 left on friday.

Regarding the DAC, I'm undecided, I don't know if I go for the EX5 or the minidsp flex. I have to make up my mind, because tomorrow is the D day.
In terms of money they are very diferent. I can buy the EX5 for 300€, but the minidsp costs 750€ (without the dirac license).

The minidsp seems to be very complicated to me, I tried to find some tutorials, but everything seems very dificult to undersand.
Do I need to buy a micro to perfome the room correction? Is the Dirac a must?

I know that most of you said to go for the minidsp flex, but just to be sure, is the diference in sound quality substancial to justify the money diference?
Can I integrate this one with the EX5, and have the same as the minidsp flex?

Thank you in advance.

Harryharryharry

Given you're spending a fair amount and wanting a great system I think the flex is very worthwhile (if you can afford it).

The user experience of setup isn't great but with some time it's fine.

The sound quality improvement with Dirac can be quite significant, I expect it depends on your room. Generally speaking the room is the biggest determination of sound quality for lower frequencies. Dirac takes care of that.

You could buy the 2x4hd and I think it can be upgraded with dirac license but you may as well just get the flex and have one box (I think it performs better too).

Good luck!

OP
O

operation

Given you're spending a fair amount and wanting a great system I think the flex is very worthwhile (if you can afford it).

The user experience of setup isn't great but with some time it's fine.

The sound quality improvement with Dirac can be quite significant, I expect it depends on your room. Generally speaking the room is the biggest determination of sound quality for lower frequencies. Dirac takes care of that.

You could buy the 2x4hd and I think it can be upgraded with dirac license but you may as well just get the flex and have one box (I think it performs better too).

Good luck!

Thank you.

To use the dirac I will have to buy a license, right? From what I have read it is not cheap... I don't know the exact price because it is difficult to see in their website.

I checked the minidsp website and they say that I will need have at least a umik 1 (microphone) which costs 120€ to do be able to do the room calibration. Is that right?

I will need to rob a bank to pay for all this xD

OP
O

operation

I have found. It seems it costs 200usd plus the 120€micro.

It's too much :/

Harryharryharry

Fair enough! You could look at second hand or get a cheaper / second hand but well reviewed DAC and upgrade in future if you want.

OP
O

operation

I have bought the 8040 and the EX5 and they soundd GREATTTT.

Thank you very much.

At first I was a bit concercened because they sounded a too bright and dull. Then I ajusted the Treble tilt control to -4db and now they sound great. I don't know if it was the ajustment that made it sound better, or if it was my ears that adapted to the new sound. Well, the important thing is that now they sound great to me, I'm hearing sounds that I have never heard in the songs that I used to listen. This was the objective, the sound is very accurate, and the bass is good enough I guess.

Thank you very much for you help. You are awsome.

Attachments

• IMG_20221014_201337.jpg
    IMG_20221014_201337.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom