• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first and special Hi Fi system

OP
O

operation

Thank you all for your support.

As some of you ask, I have recently moved to Cologne-Germany.

From your recommendations, the Genelec 8030C with a Topping EX5 seems a good option.
Some of you point that a Subwoofer is a must. Is it possible to include one in this system?

I previouly said that the distance from the speakers is about 2m, but if it was for example 4~5m is this option still a good choice?

Thank you, very nice article.
Consider also that bluetooth will be inferior to something like Spotify Connect. So perhaps consider a streaming device that can receive WLAN data directly from the streaming app, rather than having to go via a bluetooth conversion. An example might be a WiiM Mini connected to the digital optical input of a Yamaha amplifier.
Thank you for the recommendation. If I use a TV box (mi box 4s´) connect to the Topping EX5 by optical driver, will it be equivalent to the WiiM Mini?
Try to audition a range of speakers at a hi-fi shop(s), then check the measurements of the ones you like to see which ones provide objectively good performance to back up your subjective preferences.
I will try to do that.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
From your recommendations, the Genelec 8030C with a Topping EX5 seems a good option.
Some of you point that a Subwoofer is a must. Is it possible to include one in this system?
Yes, the EX5 has two outputs, one for the Genelecs (XLR) and the other you can use to hook up the sub. The 8030c has some filter settings to facilitate a sub as well. A Genelec sub will integrate a bit easier, but they are expensive and you can get something else for much less.
I previouly said that the distance from the speakers is about 2m, but if it was for example 4~5m is this option still a good choice?
That may be quite a long way off. The 8030C only has a 13 cm woofer. With a sub you'll have more chance that it will work out. If possible see if you can try them out before you buy. https://www.musicstore.de/ is in your city and has them in stock. Don't know if they have an actual store though.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Spoken like a true HiFi salesman. :)
9 years of it with 5 straight commission makes for some keen spidey senses.
Wait until you move into property and house and land- then it gets fun... ;)
I'm onto the 8th floor now. No more lawn care, no trimming trees, no snow shoveling in -30C with winds too etc etc. Everything is taken care of other than my own suite. :D

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

The 8030c is an excellent option (I use them for my PC listening) paired with an SVS 3000 micro subwoofer. I use a MiniDSP flex to integrate the sub and also give me Dirac, which is an optional license. The MiniDSP would be a great alternative to the Topping if you can stretch to that. If your critical listening is at 2m and then you want to have nice sounding music at 4-5m with a bit less volume you will be fine.

OP
O

operation

Yesterday I went to musicstore and I tried out the speakers. They sound pretty good indeed, but now I have a few more questions. (sorry)

I think I liked the 8040 more, maybe it is because of the higher bass. They are much more expensive compared to the 8030, but is the money difference worth it? Or is it better instead to get the 8030 and a sub?
About the 8330s are they worth the price difference?
If I get a sub, which one do you recommend that is compatible with EX5? with 500€ max

The 8030c is an excellent option (I use them for my PC listening) paired with an SVS 3000 micro subwoofer. I use a MiniDSP flex to integrate the sub and also give me Dirac
I would absolutely include a MiniDSP flex
The MiniDSP flex is a bit expensive, this works alternatively to the EX5 or I have to use both?
If your critical listening is at 2m and then you want to have nice sounding music at 4-5m with a bit less volume you will be fine.
The plan is to use them in a living room, side by side with the TV. Usually, I watch TV from a 2m distance, but that might change if I move to another house. If the distance is higher than 2m, for instance to 3m, the bass is the only thing that is degraded and can be fixed by a sub? or the overall sound is also compromised?

Sorry for this stupid questions...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yesterday I went to musicstore and I tried out the speakers. They sound pretty good indeed, but now I have a few more questions. (sorry)
Great initiative! Usually people keep asking questions for weeks on end, and then months later, still sit behind their keyboards :facepalm:
I think I liked the 8040 more, maybe it is because of the higher bass. They are much more expensive compared to the 8030, but is the money difference worth it? Or is it better instead to get the 8030 and a sub?
Hard to say. It may be due to the extra bass extension. The 8030s are claimed to be a bit more linear though. If you're not planning a sub, the 8040s are definitely the better choice. I myself have 3 8040s and love them. I got them second-hand. It saves a lot of money and they still look and function brand new. So that may also be another option to stay within budget. In the end, buy what you like best.
I think if you're not going to use GLM (which costs extra €€€), then you're really not using them to their full potential. There are cheaper options to get room correction as well.
If I get a sub, which one do you recommend that is compatible with EX5? with 500€ max
SVS is always a good option, sadly they are quite expensive in the EU, and there is little availability. Is DIY an option?
The MiniDSP flex is a bit expensive, this works alternatively to the EX5 or I have to use both?
It's an alternative, and will also give you room correction.
They are not stupid questions. Don't feel sorry.

Last edited:

Peluvius

Forum Donor

Questions are always great, sometimes its more the answers that are the problem :)

The 8040s are great and likely the additional bass extension is what you are appreciating (I use the 8340a in my home cinema system). A sub will fill that gap at 2 meters if you chose the 8030Cs.

The SVS 3000 micro is a good option that works for me, I am not sure how much they cost in your home.

The MiniDSP will do everything you have detailed in your original post. If you get the Genelecs, get a balanced unit.

The plan is to use them in a living room, side by side with the TV. Usually, I watch TV from a 2m distance, but that might change if I move to another house. If the distance is higher than 2m, for instance to 3m, the bass is the only thing that is degraded and can be fixed by a sub? or the overall sound is also compromised?

No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers (pressures on :rolleyes:). The 8340s will perform better at 3 meters but it is subtle, not a massive difference. I would personally go for the 8030c and a sub. You will have a reference grade system and then can build from there if you chose to.

Paolo

I think the Elac speakers have terrible names, people often confuses the

Debut 2.0 B6.2
with the
Debut Reference DBR62

They’re not the same. Just pointing that out.

…sorry for the interruption, leaving now.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheaper alternative subs could be the JBL LSR 310 or the Kali Audio WS 12. Both have their own full crossover so you need no extra output for the sub: just feed the signal from the DAC to the sub and the active satellite speakers from the sub.

DMill

I’ll add to OPs question as I have never setup or used active speakers. If you were to go from a 2.1 Genelec system and want to expand it to 5.1 let’s say in the future you’d need something like the MiniDSP Flex 8 correct?

To the OP, another option in your price range rather than the Flex or the Topping, would be a Yamaha WXC50. It has pre outs for the speakers and a sub out. I use an SVS1000 Pro sub and will concede it’s not quite as nice as the 3000micro but it is still a really good sub and would save a few hundred $.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
want to expand it to 5.1 let’s say in the future you’d need something like the MiniDSP Flex 8 correct?
If a PC can be used for all the decoding needs, then yes. Otherwise an AVR with pre-outs may be a better option.

OP
O

operation

Thank you again for your support.

I think I'll hold off on purchasing the subwoffer for another occasion because firstly they are very expensive, and secondly they have to be pretty so I can convince my girlfriend to let me put one in the living room.
The price of the SVS 3000 Micro is around €1149, which is a lot for now.

So my options are:

Option 1:
- 8030c + Cables ~ 1200€
- EX5 ~ 350€
- Total ~1550€

Option 2:
- 8030c + Cables ~ 1200€
- Mini DSP Flex ~ 650€
- Total ~1850€

Personally, I'm leaning more towards option 1 because it's cheaper, but if you think option 2 is really better, please let me know.

If one day I decide to buy the SVS 3000 Micro will it be plug and play with both of these systems?
And just to be sure, with a sub I can use these speakers at a distance greater than 2m? (sorry, but I don't know if I understood correctly)

Is DIY an option?
Well, a part of me says yes, but the other says that I don't have the tools and the final product will not be as good. Nevertheless, if you have nice tutorials please share, maybe I change my mind.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your option 1 is a good choice and it’s in budget. For me the logical upgrade would be a sub.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Option 1:
- 8030c + Cables ~ 1200€
- EX5 ~ 350€
- Total ~1550€

Option 2:
- 8030c + Cables ~ 1200€
- Mini DSP Flex ~ 650€
- Total ~1850€

Personally, I'm leaning more towards option 1 because it's cheaper, but if you think option 2 is really better, please let me know.

It would be option 2 for me, you have the ability to do room EQ with Dirac and to add and integrate a subwoofer, which are significant and audible upgrades. You can get a cheaper sub which does not have onboard EQ as this is done in the Flex.

The EX5 cannot easily integrate a subwoofer as it has only two outputs (L/R) so you need to do any sub-specific tuning in the sub itself.

If one day I decide to buy the SVS 3000 Micro will it be plug and play with both of these systems?

There is some complexity to either option so I would not call it "plug and play" in terms of integration but the Flex will be easier to integrate a sub in my opinion and in my own experience.

And just to be sure, with a sub I can use these speakers at a distance greater than 2m? (sorry, but I don't know if I understood correctly)

The distance question is not a yes/no answer. Take a look at Genelec distance data:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yesterday I went to musicstore and I tried out the speakers.
May I ask where was that store? It’s not often that I hear about a store that can demonstrate those speakers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Consider also that bluetooth will be inferior to something like Spotify Connect. So perhaps consider a streaming device that can receive WLAN data directly from the streaming app, rather than having to go via a bluetooth conversion. An example might be a WiiM Mini connected to the digital optical input of a Yamaha amplifier.
Agreed. A ton devices have Chromecast integrated and that performs a lot better than even APTX Bluetooth.

Top Bottom