• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My experiences with chinese generic TPA3251 and TPA3255 amplifiers

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

Toku

Major Contributor
If I have one issue it is the fact that it automatically goes into standby after about 30 minutes of no input. So the amp keeps turning off - usually I leave my amps on 24/7. Hopefully this can be fixed once 3e-Audio release the necessary details to re-program the DSP chip but this is probably not something that most users will want to attemp.
Is it only in WiFi mode?
In that case, does the power of the amplifier turn off? Or is it going to sleep mode?

Westsounds

I received mine from 3e-Audio some weeks ago now and it sounds very good. I think this is an excellent implementation using good quality components. The Bluetooth works well (Apple AAC and APTX) but of course this is still lossy as it doesn’t support the HD Codecs. The sound from the RCA inputs is best.

I use it to drive a pair of small KEF UniQ speakers and it sounds really good. So far for me this is one of the best small digital amplifiers currently available and I have tested quite a few !! It is also the most convenient with its build in Power Supply.

If I have one issue it is the fact that it automatically goes into standby after about 30 minutes of no input. So the amp keeps turning off - usually I leave my amps on 24/7. Hopefully this can be fixed once 3e-Audio release the necessary details to re-program the DSP chip but this is probably not something that most users will want to attemp.
Thanks very interested to see how these lower-cost class D amps are coming along.

Another which looks good value for money is this one the TPA3116. I'm looking at low cost to performance ratio. Of course soon as the price increases you lose that. I think its a valid point you make about the onboard power supply though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DVLB...olid=3EAJ2PQM2B4KJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Bushellj

Thanks very interested to see how these lower-cost class D amps are coming along.

Another which looks good value for money is this one the TPA3116. I'm looking at low cost to performance ratio. Of course soon as the price increases you lose that. I think its a valid point you make about the onboard power supply though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DVLB...olid=3EAJ2PQM2B4KJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The newer amplifiers all use the TPA325x chips and are far better than the previous generation that use the older TPA3116 chips. These older designs are now ridiculously cheap but not worth buying anymore unless you just want cheap !!

Bushellj

Is it only in WiFi mode?
In that case, does the power of the amplifier turn off? Or is it going to sleep mode?

When there is no signal present on Bluetooth or RCA inputs the amp goes into sleep mode after about 30 minutes. You have to wake it up again by pressing the volume knob before you can play any music from either input.

Westsounds

The newer amplifiers all use the TPA325x chips and are far better than the previous generation that use the older TPA3116 chips. These older designs are now ridiculously cheap but not worth buying anymore unless you just want cheap !!
oh are they. There are so many about now its difficult to know what is what.

I thought the Allo Volt D was as good as it gets for lower-cost class D, TPA3118D2.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...plifier-2x-tpa3118d2-2x60w-4-ohm-p-12854.html

So are you saying that the newer TPA325x now surpasses those?

The thing is with hi-fi it is mainly subjective unless it's measured as in the science world obviously, which is what kind of attracted me to this site. But once you got to a standard of exact replication of sound then its just that but amplified, then you can go no further I suppose. But none of the these amps are near that and neither is anything I would imagine even hi-end hifi. Its just acceptable limits we are prepared to put up with.

Bushellj

oh are they. There are so many about now its difficult to know what is what.

I thought the Allo Volt D was as good as it gets for lower-cost class D, TPA3118D2.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...plifier-2x-tpa3118d2-2x60w-4-ohm-p-12854.html

So are you saying that the newer TPA325x now surpasses those?

The thing is with hi-fi it is mainly subjective unless it's measured as in the science world obviously, which is what kind of attracted me to this site. But once you got to a standard of exact replication of sound then its just that but amplified, then you can go no further I suppose. But none of the these amps are near that and neither is anything I would imagine even hi-end hifi. Its just acceptable limits we are prepared to put up with.

I think the general opinion is the newer TPA325x series are superior to previous TPA generations and also a lot of the competitive chip based amplifiers. Clearly there are other Digital amplifiers but these tend to be a lot more expensive. The TPA325x provides very good quality for the price you pay and when suitably tweaked (or better designs) can stand up to some seriously expensive completion maybe 10x the price.

I have no experience of the Allo Volt D product other than people seem to like their products and are waiting for them to come out with a TPA325x based amplifier. Also Volt products also seem to be quite expensive compared to the Chinese Amplifiers which as we all know can be a mixture of good and bad.

3e-Audio have a good reputation for their products. Appear to use good quality components and are consistent with their production runs. They appear to be quite a small producer and only do limited production runs once stock runs out so sometimes there are delays until more become available.

Aiyima on the other hand appear to produce large quantities of their products that are sold by many many Chinese exporters. They can be very cheap but now they have been around for a bit the quality of components used seems to be declining !! There are also a lot of very similar “clone” type products sold by the same exporters that have totally different internals that appear to be very “cost reduced” !

Breeze Audio (also marketed under other brand names) also produce an interesting range of products ( I have some of their older TPA3116 based Amplifiers) seem to be OK but don’t seem to attract the DIY Tuning people in quite the same way. Their integrated TPA3255 amplifier looks OK but there were some safety issues raised due to the closeness of the 220 volt tracks to the case of the Power Supply and no earth connection !!

In the Photo is :-

Aiyima A04 TPA3251 - Top.

Aiyima A07 TPA3255 - Middle.

3e-Audio TPA3250 Integrated with Bluetooth - Bottom.

Attachments

• AF5491A5-00C0-4DBB-90F6-FEB04140CE67.jpeg
    AF5491A5-00C0-4DBB-90F6-FEB04140CE67.jpeg
    931.8 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
When there is no signal present on Bluetooth or RCA inputs the amp goes into sleep mode after about 30 minutes. You have to wake it up again by pressing the volume knob before you can play any music from either input.
That's a really silly specification. I ordered without knowing it.

Bushellj

That's a really silly specification. I ordered without knowing it.

Hi Toku - Hopefully we will be able to fix this when they provide the details to re-program the DSP.

I think for an engineer it looks like a nice feature but less so in real life. I think most of us leave our Amplifiers on 24/7 especially if using them for a wireless connection as you just want it to work on demand - not have to turn it on each time.

I am sure 3e-Audio read this thread so hopefully they can take this on for future releases and ensure we have the information so this can be changed through the DSP Software. It should be an option you can just switch on/off or adjust the delay time.

Got my $3 USBi Programmer all ready so we just need the instructions and code now to start playing !!

Attachments

• IMG_3419.jpeg
    IMG_3419.jpeg
    713.7 KB · Views: 198

Westsounds

I think the general opinion is the newer TPA325x series are superior to previous TPA generations and also a lot of the competitive chip based amplifiers. Clearly there are other Digital amplifiers but these tend to be a lot more expensive. The TPA325x provides very good quality for the price you pay and when suitably tweaked (or better designs) can stand up to some seriously expensive completion maybe 10x the price.

I have no experience of the Allo Volt D product other than people seem to like their products and are waiting for them to come out with a TPA325x based amplifier. Also Volt products also seem to be quite expensive compared to the Chinese Amplifiers which as we all know can be a mixture of good and bad.

3e-Audio have a good reputation for their products. Appear to use good quality components and are consistent with their production runs. They appear to be quite a small producer and only do limited production runs once stock runs out so sometimes there are delays until more become available.

Aiyima on the other hand appear to produce large quantities of their products that are sold by many many Chinese exporters. They can be very cheap but now they have been around for a bit the quality of components used seems to be declining !! There are also a lot of very similar “clone” type products sold by the same exporters that have totally different internals that appear to be very “cost reduced” !

Breeze Audio (also marketed under other brand names) also produce an interesting range of products ( I have some of their older TPA3116 based Amplifiers) seem to be OK but don’t seem to attract the DIY Tuning people in quite the same way. Their integrated TPA3255 amplifier looks OK but there were some safety issues raised due to the closeness of the 220 volt tracks to the case of the Power Supply and no earth connection !!

In the Photo is :-

Aiyima A04 TPA3251 - Top.

Aiyima A07 TPA3255 - Middle.

3e-Audio TPA3250 Integrated with Bluetooth - Bottom.
Yes very much agree with what you say here. The Volt can be relatively expensive in comparison also as you say.

There is a point if not exactly scientific where audible improvement become negligible and are more like a change rather than improvements anyway. This doesn't have to mean spending thousands either. Music enjoyment can be had equally from something that costs under £50, dollars, bananas or whatever :)

And these class D's are surprisingly good at delivering that value for money and in tiny packages. The thing is to find that sweet spot. I've forked out more for some and haven't necessarily gained dramatically in performance so why bother.

Even though I do own higher cost gear as I am an audiophile I get wrapped up in the enthusiast side and pride of ownership etc, but, I also get great enjoyment out of trying these budget wonders.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I have several class D amps from different companies. The TPA325X are definitely more musical thanks to a lower distortion rate. Then it depends on the quality of the implementation. But as one member already mentioned, even the less well implemented TPA325X will often be superior to a TPA3116 based amp. I still use the TPA3116, 18, 10, this in PCB format for my Bluetooth assemblies, the table format style, it does the job well. But for serious listening with a good source like an excellent DAC, the TPA325x are definitely superior. On other forums, a few swear by the old T-class.

Top Bottom