• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My endgame - Kef R7 or JBL HDI 3600

moam

Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum for some time now, and It seems its full of knowledge and hard facts instead of subjective opinions of sound.

Over the years I've had some different loudspeakers, from b&w 602 to klipsch rf-82 and right now I'm sitting on a pretty dull Soundbar.

I now have the space for a pair of tower speakers again and I would like some help from you. After doing some research and got some advice regarding the esthetics from the mrs. I have narrowed it down to KEF R7 and JBL HDI 3600. This is probably my end game and I would like to get it right when I'm spending this kind of money.

What I'm searching for is a speaker that is overall techically good, and have some good mid bass. if its possible, I would like to feel the kick drum during a song. Extension under 40hz is not that important for me.

After reading the review of the HDI 3600 and the KEF R3 (with I guess translates well to R7 with more headroom) here on ASR Im a little comfused how to read the spinorama tough.

It looks like the KEF doesn't roll of as steep as the JBL after 100hz and than the KEF have a small bump around the 100hz mark which looks like what I'm searching for if I like some more mid bass.

Have I read this correct or did I miss something in the JBL review? Is the extra bass drivers in the JBL just for the ability to play louder with lower distorsion?
The newbie in me would think the 3 bass drivers in the JBL would be what I'm searching for if I really like them kick drums in the rock songs?

Best Regards, moam

atsmusic

If I were you I would go listen to both and see what ones you prefer. I would not take anyone's advice before I listened for myself. Also listen to the same exact music on each. I would choose like 5 of your favorite songs so you know how they sound with what you will be listening to.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I bought the R7 for the bass, the difference its big vs R3 imho its more tactile
You can feel much more the lower bass even with your legs, I like the R3 but i wanted more bass without subs.
I also like how the R7 in general sounds like, but its in the smooth side rather than the bright side.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
Kef is running a sale this weekend and a specific shop in NJ is offering 30% google it. I can't speak for jbl because I never owned a pair, but the R7 is pretty good.

azoazo

Kef is running a sale this weekend and a specific shop in NJ is offering 30% google it. I can't speak for jbl because I never owned a pair, but the R7 is pretty good.
Could you please tell the specific shop in NJ that offers 30% off? KEF official store is running a sale, but not at 30%.

steve59

Major Contributor
I just spent the last half hour and cant find the shop. I run a program that clears my cookies and browser history so I looked at kef authorized and unauthorized dealers and still didn't see it.

amper42

Major Contributor
Could you please tell the specific shop in NJ that offers 30% off? KEF official store is running a sale, but not at 30%.

KEF R7 is 20% off direct from KEF or at all dealers.

Was $2249.99 but during sale it's $1799.99.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
I should have done a screen grab.

Top Bottom