• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Dog - pet thread

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I have a Borzoi, she has her own musical taste.
It would be fun (and funny!) if you could set-up an experiment where she could push buttons to select different music or silence or maybe some other sounds...

Most of the dogs I've known or owned have mostly ignored music or sound from the TV, etc. Sometimes they'd perk-up their ears with an unusual/unfamiliar sound. I have seen dogs that "sing along" (howl) with certain music or when their owner sings.

Strangely, loud music doesn't seem to bother most dogs. I've seen dogs "acting normal" at loud outdoor concerts. I would assume they have a lower threshold of pain than humans but it doesn't seem so. Fireworks do seem to bother most dogs but I don't know if it's painful to their ears or just startling and/or annoying.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be fun (and funny!) if you could set-up an experiment where she could push buttons to select different music or silence or maybe some other sounds...

Most of the dogs I've known or owned have mostly ignored music or sound from the TV, etc. Sometimes they'd perk-up their ears with an unusual/unfamiliar sound. I have seen dogs that "sing along" (howl) with certain music or when their owner sings.

Strangely, loud music doesn't seem to bother most dogs. I've seen dogs "acting normal" at loud outdoor concerts. I would assume they have a lower threshold of pain than humans but it doesn't seem so. Fireworks do seem to bother most dogs but I don't know if it's painful to their ears or just startling and/or annoying.
Yes it would but you'd need a dog much brighter than a Borzoi. Borzoi are very aloof (cat like) and only really do want they want. That said I wouldn't want to be a rabbit caught in the back yard with one. They are almost as fast as a Greyhound and about as lazy.

Oldasdrt

Yes it would but you'd need a dog much brighter than a Borzoi. Borzoi are very aloof (cat like) and only really do want they want. That said I wouldn't want to be a rabbit caught in the back yard with one. They are almost as fast as a Greyhound and about as lazy.
:):):):), but she’s a beauty,

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is something I should have added. A Borzoi sings

mansr

Major Contributor
Most of the dogs I've known or owned have mostly ignored music or sound from the TV, etc. Sometimes they'd perk-up their ears with an unusual/unfamiliar sound.
We had a dog who'd often react if her name (Molly) was mentioned in a song. The cats, not so much.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2 Cats both purebred Maine Coons (largest domesticated cat breed)

The elder statesman. Doesn't like music but loves to sit in my lap and watch movies
On the small size only 15 pounds and about 38" tip of nose to end of tail
1.jpg

Our new addition a poly-dactyl (6 toes) kitten. Just turned 9 months old and is already 14 pounds and 36" tip of nose to end of tail.
Looks like he will end up about 20 pounds and about 42" long based upon current size.
Gonna have to sell a dac or amp to pay for future food and litter bills.
This one loves music and sits on my desk purring no matter what i play especially when its AC/DC.

2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A beauty. Our next will likely be Savanna. We’ve had three Abyssinian’s but the Mrs would like to experiment.
4C186876-F6C0-496A-93CD-740E4EE02AA6.jpeg

Promit

I'd say the top image is from the cannon. What happened to the poor girls front leg?
I took that photo shortly after a two day stay in the vet ER where she gave us quite a scare, it was nice to see her smiling again. She had a vestibular issue, which seems to be common in older dogs in her age range (11), and had to be on IV for a few days until she could stand on her own again.
She might have some Cattledog in her,,,,the ears
1632003874642.png

It's a puzzling mix.

JSmith

Master Contributor
We had a dog who'd often react if her name (Molly) was mentioned in a song.
That's funny... must have been quite an ecstatic character. ;)
Yeah that would be interesting to see if the dog realised that interacting with the buttons changed music or sound and their reaction to it.

JSmith

Helicopter

Major Contributor

The elder statesman. Doesn't like music but loves to sit in my lap and watch movies
View attachment 154176

Our new addition a kitten. Just turned 9 months old and is already 14 pounds and 36" tip of nose to end of tail.
Looks like he will end up about 20 pounds and about 42" long based upon current size.
This one loves music and sits on my desk purring no matter what i play especially when its AC/DC.

View attachment 154177

I had a Maine Coon and a barn cat but they both died in the last 3 years. I would really like to get 2 or 3 coons again. The one I had was blue slate, but I can't find a breeder with solid blue slate in the midwest.
20190912_195616.jpg

Solid White or black would work too.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Oldasdrt

View attachment 154176

Our new addition a poly-dactyl (6 toes) kitten. Just turned 9 months old and is already 14 pounds and 36" tip of nose to end of tail.

View attachment 154177
Beauty

jeroboam

IMG_20210919_124637.jpg

This is Bruno all nine and a half stone of him!. He is about 13 yrs old but still pretty fit and walks 3 to 4 miles every day. The only audio he is interested in is the rustle of sweetie bags and biscuit packets :).

Top Bottom