• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My DIY Streamer

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I'm sitting here with a cold beer in my hand with a very contented smile on my face as I'm listening to some lovely music, with speakers I've made, powered from an amp I've built, and streaming from my latest project.

249055C1-7811-4A58-AA9B-B54F0232A678_1_105_c.jpeg

I am using a Raspberry Pi Compute module, with their IO board, linked via USB to a Topping D10. For software I have Roon, piped to CamillaDSP sampling at 96kHz to tame some room problems.

The output from that is connected to a Neurochrome input selector and volume control, and then out to my Neurochrome amps and LX521 Speakers.

I have VU meters from an Amazon kit, and a EVOR04 spectrum analyzer from https://sch-remote.com/ which works really well (I tested the accuracy via REW). It's not quite complete yet, as I want to add a switch (you can see it between the meters and display) to remove the displays from the audio chain, although they seem to be silent.

Case is from https://diyaudiostore.com, but the front is solid cherry to match my speakers. I inlaid some 3mm thick smoked acrylic that I had laser cut by https://sendcutsend.com. The display is behind that, so when it is off there is just a flat, gloss black panel.

9577838F-B7DF-4BD7-AC71-D87A389B9D89_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Finished last night. Quite happy with the result.

I designed a board for all the power distribution. Added a switch on the front to turn off the VU meters and spectrum analyzer. There are a couple of relays on there, so I can cut the signal to them as well, but I've not noticed and problems so far.

D9B1558C-AD5C-4BF4-A6E7-78F3BB72147F_1_105_c.jpeg

At the moment only have one set of inputs wired up, but easy enough to solder more if I need them.

4459AE29-4903-453B-A364-645EC32BE891_1_105_c.jpeg

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That's a fantastic looking preamp.

Tom

OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
That's a fantastic looking preamp.
Thanks Tom - I could not have done it without all I've learned from building your designs this last year. For anyone on the fence about making something, Tom's build instructions (and final product) are second to none.

MCH

Major Contributor
Like it!
I am in the process of doing something much less fancy that consists basically on the main circuit of an Allo Volt +D, a raspberry pi zero 2w running Moode with a a miniboss dac hat and i am looking into adding a small screen with a spectrum analizer and song title/artist etc.
No inputs (only wifi) and no phisycal volume control, all as cheap and simple as possible. What a time we are living in that allows to easily build these things that would be like a dream few years ago!

OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
It is amazing. I mainly didn't want a collection of boxes, so thought putting everything in one box made sense. Using my RME ADI-2 DAC got me interested in the analyzer, so I did something similar a month or so ago, with CAVA giving the spectrum analyzer.

I got quite the way through, when the software for the screen nuked everything, which is why I went with an OTS spectrum analyzer display. Details are here if it helps - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-to-setting-up-cava-on-a-raspberry-pi.27856/

Reactions: MCH

InsideTheWire

Have to say that looks really nice! I'm wanting to do something like this with a Raspberry PI 4 and a Tone Board. I appreciate all the links. Now I just need to sit down and try to figure out how to add in everything I want.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Beautiful build!

Top Bottom