• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Denon X4700H died today...

Scubaduderon

MY X4700H died today....

Hello, my x4700h has just died completely today. The weird thing is, it worked fairly well. The setup menu worked sporadically through the return ARC, but beyond that it worked fine, providing good sound through all the channels I had wired, be they direct or preamp.

I used it in a mixed mode, as an amp for the center and surrounds, and as a preamp for the front LR and rear LR. For a few days I had a loud thumping noise and it would go into protection mode, fast blink. I attempted to localize the problem by only using the center channel only and physically disconnecting everything else, but it still thumps and shuts down. Finally I disconnected the center and it still shuts down. I had a small fan pulling heat from the top for about the last year, but this didn't help in the long run. Now I get to deal with warranty repairs. Any suggestions on how to get this done smoothly would be greatly appreciated...My

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it stay on long enough to do a reset?

OP
S

Scubaduderon

I'm not sure. I'll try it. I've got it unplugged so it has been cooling for at least 6 hours. Thanks for the idea.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even sometimes a soft reset (unplugging it for a bit) can clear glitches. The full/microprocessor/factory reset does take some time to get going so if your avr is going into protection mode quickly it may not allow enough time (had a Denon refurb years ago that had that issue). Check your manual for the panel buttons you need to push together to start it. Did it get physically hot to the touch?

OP
S

Scubaduderon

Does it stay on long enough to do

Ok, the only 2 connections to the unit are the EARC and the center channel. I got it to reset and ran through setup, leaving everything off that I could. It ran ok for about 5 minutes before going into protect mode. I'll now remove the center and see if it dies with only the earc....

OP
S

Scubaduderon

Does it stay on long enough to do

Ok,mthe only 2 connections to the unit are the EARC and the center channel. I got it to reset and ran through setup, leaving everything off that I could. It ran ok for about 5 minutes before going into protect mode. I'll now remove the center and see if it dies with only the earc....
I tried a different center. Protect mode within a couple of minutes, and that is with the earc out so there is literally no input at all.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW I've seen it recommended to run the reset a few times in a row before giving up....

warnerwh

I've seen J.D. Smoothie over at AVS recommend doing a factory reset several times in a row. He seems to be about as knowledgeable a person as you can find when it comes to Denon and Marantz receivers. Good luck!

OP
S

Scubaduderon

I've seen J.D. Smoothie over at AVS recommend doing a factory reset several times in a row. He seems to be about as knowledgeable a person as you can find when it comes to Denon and Marantz receivers. Good luck!
I tried 3 resets in a row. It thumped several times then went into protect mode after about an hour with the center connected and a signal from the earc present, volume fairly low and external fan on. Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not much else you can do unless you're an experienced tech I'd think, time to contact Denon for warranty service....

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How are your speakers connected? Bared wire? Spade connectors, banana plugs? Could there be short in any of the connections?

OP
S

Scubaduderon

How are your speakers connected? Bared wire? Spade connectors, banana plugs? Could there be short in any of the connections?
Hello, the only speaker attached is the center channel, wired directly from the x4700h to the center. The only other connection is the eArc, which goes directly to my LG B19 Oled tv. All other connections have been removed to isolate the problem.

I will scrutinize all the speaker terminals for possible shorts, but I have only ever used 3 channels from the amp section, the center and the surround LR channels.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, the only speaker attached is the center channel, wired directly from the x4700h to the center. The only other connection is the eArc, which goes directly to my LG B19 Oled tv. All other connections have been removed to isolate the problem.

I will scrutinize all the speaker terminals for possible shorts, but I have only ever used 3 channels from the amp section, the center and the surround LR channels.
I may have misunderstood, thought you tried resetting without anything at all attached to the avr? I'd try that if you haven't.....

OP
S

Scubaduderon

So I loosened up every binding post and found no loose wires. Then i reset the unit again, connected the network, checked for firmware updates, there were none.

I'm gonna let it sit on for a while with no connections beyond the eARC and the network. I'm almost giving up here....

I bought this thing from Bet Buy about a year and a half ago. Anyone know how to initiate the Denon Warranty process? I've never had a unit fail before. I imagine a call to them is first?

Thanks for your help.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I loosened up every binding post and found no loose wires. Then i reset the unit again, connected the network, checked for firmware updates, there were none.

I'm gonna let it sit on for a while with no connections beyond the eARC and the network. I'm almost giving up here....

I bought this thing from Bet Buy about a year and a half ago. Anyone know how to initiate the Denon Warranty process? I've never had a unit fail before. I imagine a call to them is first?

Thanks for your help.
What country are you in?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you reset with no attachments? Then hook up one thing at a time....personally I'd start on the audio side one speaker at a time to make it easy, probably just streaming to the avr to leave other inputs aside for the moment. Just look on the Denon site for warranty support I'd think, if not specifics with the documentation for your avr. I doubt BB will want to be involved in the process but may not hurt to ask.....

Andysu

Major Contributor
need do a video to show as need to see . could be a dry-joint a failed capacitor need a video as this is all about audio and video so a video may help .

OP
S

Scubaduderon

So you reset with no attachments? Then hook up one thing at a time....personally I'd start on the audio side one speaker at a time to make it easy, probably just streaming to the avr to leave other inputs aside for the moment. Just look on the Denon site for warranty support I'd think, if not specifics with the documentation for your avr. I doubt BB will want to be involved in the process but may not hurt to ask.....
Yes, after resetting with only the center and that failing, I reset with no speakers at all, and that failed after a while.

amper42

Major Contributor

You have done everything you could. Get the warranty request in. I would call Denon 201-762-6665 and ask if there is a local shop authorized to service the Denon 4700. They will try to direct you to:
PANURGY OEM
701 Ford Road (South Dock)
Rockaway, NJ 07866-2053
(973) 625-4056
(973) 625-9489 Fax http://www.panurgyoem.com/Denon/Denonrepair.html

I would do everything I could to avoid PANGURY. My experience is Panurgy can't fix much and can break and damage a lot. My unit came back in much worse shape from PANURGY. If there is a local option it would be preferrable. Also, ask Best Buy if they can take on the service if you bought it from them. Good luck!

Top Bottom