• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My DAC has a VU meter. Your argument is invalid.

Undefinition

I've been running Volumio for 2 years or so. I had a Behringer UA202 on-hand (I think it came with a guitar interface I own), so that's what I used for a DAC. I never was really wowed by the UA202. Sure it's wayy better than the analog out of a Raspberry Pi, but that's about all I can say. I think I have a decent one; out of curiosity I opened mine up and saw it has the Burr-Brown chip (mfr date 2011). Maybe it's just because the output voltage is kinda low, so it's a few dB down from my other sources. I dunno. Just kinda meh.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to spice things up a bit. Why not get a DAC with a VU meter? Well, how many of those are there, really? Not many! The only ones I could really find were intended for Pro Audio use. The Motu M4 seemed especially nice. But I couldn't really justify spending quite that much just for a VU meter. So I looked for used ADC/DACs on Reverb. I found a PreSonus Studio 24--of which the 24c seems to be the current revision. Anyway, it had a VU meter, and a few other features that might be handy down the road for other things. What the hell; for $70 I took a chance.

And wow! This is actually SO much more enjoyable. I can't quite articulate why a few LEDs has transformed the way I use Volumio. I guess it went from being "something hidden" in my rack to something that actually had signs of life. I rarely used Volumio in the past. But now I WANT to cue up my music on it!

In order to get the device to work properly I had to add a powered USB hub. The Raspberry Pi doesn't have enough juice on its own to power the thing--or rather, it would try, but keep dropping out. With the USB hub in the chain, it's been rock-solid.

Anyway, bottom line is this: every DAC should have a VU meter. We listeners deserve a little light show with our music!

1647628513779.png

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Your argument is invalid
Who are you arguing with and what are you arguing about???

I actually built an 8-foot VU meter effect with 20 LEDs on each side, spaced about 4-inches apart, mounted in black PVC pipe. (That doesn't exactly add-up because there is some space between the floor and the 1st LED.) It's not really any kind of "meter" because it automatically "calibrates" to the volume and there is no dB scale or any kind of consistent scale. It's just made for lots of fun "LED action". (It's built around an Arduino.)

...It also can randomly run some other sequencing & pattern effects and the VU meter (and other effects) can randomly be reversed (so louder is on the bottom) and it can be inverted (so louder turns-off more LEDs). Oh yeah, there's a dot-mode and a bar-graph mode, and a dots mode, like a short moving bar-graph where the number of LEDs in the "bar" is random.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe this is a "real" VU meter. See we do have an argument. ;)
proxy-image

The RME Babyface has nice LED level meters.
proxy-image

Last edited:
OP
Undefinition

Undefinition

Who are you arguing with and what are you arguing about???

I actually built an 8-foot VU meter effect with 20 LEDs on each side, spaced about 4-inches apart, mounted in black PVC pipe. (That doesn't exactly add-up because there is some space between the floor and the 1st LED.) It's not really any kind of "meter" because it automatically "calibrates" to the volume and there is no dB scale or any kind of consistent scale. It's just made for lots of fun "LED action". (It's built around an Arduino.)

...It also can randomly run some other sequencing & pattern effects and the VU meter (and other effects) can randomly be reversed (so louder is on the bottom) and it can be inverted (so louder turns-off more LEDs). Oh yeah, there's a dot-mode and a bar-graph mode, and a dots mode, like a short moving bar-graph where the number of LEDs in the "bar" is random.

That sounds awesome. Do you have any details on that build?

... also, "your argument is invalid" is just a old timey meme. https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/your-argument-is-invalid I've been online for way too long.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, that Bundy... lol
Actually, the DAC that Al invented in marketed under the Ferguson brand. :cool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not physically installed in my DAC, OKTO DAC8PRO, but,,,

Edited to add one paragraph and one diagram photo:
Even though my 8-channel DAC OKTO DAC8PRO does not have VU-meters, my software DSP (XO/EQ) "EKIO" of course has nice peak meter/VU-meter GUI screen.
WS003813.JPG

In my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo project using EKIO and DAC8PRO, I recently completed DIY 12-VU-Meter Array using genuine large glass-face 2700K LED VU meters (compatible with the IEC 60268-17 VU meter Standard/Specification:3,600 Ohm, AC1.228 V0 - VU 600 Ohm: swing-up and swing-down transient behaviors as officially specified).
WS003747.JPG

Please find the details in my post here on my project thread. Also you can find the details of my latest system setup including the 12-VU-Meter Array in my post here.

Edit:
- Dancing video of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array
_____Part-1: with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not physically installed in my DAC, OKTO DAC8PRO, but,,,

In my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo project, I recently completed DIY 12-VU-Meter Array using genuine large glass-face 2700K LED VU meters (compatible with the IEC 60268-17 VU meter Standard/Specification:3,600 Ohm, AC1.228 V0 - VU 600 Ohm: swing-up and swing-down transient behaviors as officially specified).
View attachment 212109

Please find the details in my post here on my project thread. Also you can find the details of my latest system setup including the 12-VU-Meter Array in my post here.
That's looking very good @dualazmak with the VU meters. I imagine they cast a candle like illumination across the room. :D

Top Bottom