• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My current setup has distortion for some reason now.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
For the past few weeks my desktop setup has been having crackling audio at any volume. High DR and low DR has the same crackling. The oldest part is my Sansui 2000A. You can only hear noise at max volume but its very faint then. My dac is the Topping E30 and my speakers are the Elac Debut 2 b62. I'm thinking its either my old Sansui or my tweeters in my Elacs are going bad. The only thing I done to my Elacs is that I removed the tweet grilles because they measured better without them on. I was wondering what should I do.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Can you swap out each suspected component temporarily? (if no other DAC, use your phone 3.5mm out with a trs to RCA cable?)

Does the Sansui have an A/ B speaker switch? Try the alternate?

Not familiar with the elacs, but looking at photo looks to me that removing the grills might easily have done damage - possibly driver centering?

You can get an old Yamaha RX-396/596 for $20-$40 or so at shopgoodwill.com if you are in US. Inexpensive Amp substitute. Plus not bad performance, either :)

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/115254365

Last edited:
OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Can you swap out each suspected component temporarily? (if no other DAC, use your phone 3.5mm out with a trs to RCA cable?)

Does the Sansui have an A/ B speaker switch? Try the alternate?

Not familiar with the elacs, but looking at photo looks to me that removing the grills might easily have done damage - possibly driver centering?

You can get an old Yamaha RX-396/596 for $20-$40 or so at shopgoodwill.com if you are in US. Inexpensive Amp substitute. Plus not bad performance, either :)

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/115254365

The A-B sections are usually tied together. I saw a video about my elacs, the guy removed the tweeter grilles and it measured better (video here). Worst case I'll buy another amp. I was thinking of buying a vintage onkyo integrated amplifier. I might use my LG G7 on it and see if its my E30. Thanks for the info :)

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Theres a switch for AB but AB speaker sections are tied together. Switched my sansui 2000a for my old onkyo srs606 7.1. Theres a little bit less crackling now but its still there. Now its down to my dac, elacs and my pc. I'm starting to think its my pc now. The onkyo did sound worse mind you.

Top Bottom