• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My CD player died so I'm thinking of building some kind of streaming device setup. What is the most cost effective way of doing so?

Zerimas

I've been reading stuff on this forum but this is my first post. I think it is time to transition from a simple CD player to something a little more sophisticated. I've already got a hi-fi setup so I would need to add a DAC and the some kind of computing device to my setup.

With regards to DACs I have no idea what to choose. I've looked at a lot of articles on here, but I'm not totally clear on the meaning of all the measurements. I still haven't found an explanation of sample jitter that I can understand (how do those sidebands get there) so I feel a little stupid. I'll be using the device for playback of ripped CDs (so 44.1kHz sample rate FLAC files) primarily. I guess I am looking for something as close to "perfect" as I can get. I want something as linear as possible and with noise jitter below the noise floor. From what I understand cheaper DACs are just a likely or perhaps even more so than expensive ones to do that. I don't want something with a "sound" just a technically correct output. I only need RCA out. I'll be feeding into my late 80s Pioneer C-90 preamp. So I guess it needs line level output and something without a volume knob.

For the computer section I have no idea what to do. I used to fool around with Linux so I'm somewhat familiar with process of setting things like that up. I have no idea what sort of hardware is required. Ideally I would like to build everything into one box, but I understand it is popular to use NAS storage is popular and probably more convenient. As for the operating system I've no clue what is best. A robust interface would be good. If could somehow also use YouTube, and other streaming services for when my non-audiophile come over and want to show me a song that would be great. A lot of people put music on their phones as well, so some kind of connectivity with those would be ideal (but I don't know if that is possible).

Basically I just need something that will do Redbook audio. Hi-res capability might be an issue, but I'll definitely never use DSD or any of that nonsense. I'd like to make the unit as self-contained as possible and just have it be another part of my stack of hi-fi equipment, but I don't know how feasible that actually is. I'd actually probably be fine with a CD player, but I really want something normies can use to show me music in the event that I ever leave my parent's house and make friends. Compatibility with streaming services might be nice, but I currently don't use those.

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I just want something that measures correctly for my digital music. From what I gather that shouldn't be too much, but I don't know.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What is the most cost effective way

Analog cable from your PC analog outs to what you have now. Might have a little noise, so... (ok, antique/dumb idea)

For the computer section I have no idea what to do.

Use the PC you (probably already) have, to get started.

If sending digits to the rack, what outputs does it have? USB, coaxial, optical? Run a cable to the rack, if it's not too far.

USB = USB
Coaxial - a single RCA jack
Optical - something usually with a little door and a red light inside

Basically I just need something

Topping D10 ($100 or less) will take USB and turn it into proper analog for your purposes. I prefer something with S/PDIF inputs, so maybe one of their other models. Maybe something else entirely.

I'm sure you'll get other equipment recommendations, I'm no good at that, not shopping or buying, being set already, with stuff you don't want. Good luck.

---

My CD player died. I bought a replacement with digital outputs (Optical and Coax) - Tascam CD200 - and all the other stuff in the rack has optical/coax/both - TV/HDRadio/VideoPlayer - so my DAC of choice had to have those inputs.

A DAC with USB input only pretty much restricts its use to a PC as a source.

---

If you want music off your friend's phone, I suppose the easiest and totally modern solution is a DAC with Bluetooth, unless you just want to look up their suggestions on your PC.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zerimas

Analog cable from your PC analog outs to what you have now. Might have a little noise, so...

Use the PC you have, to get started.

If sending digits to the rack, what outputs does it have? USB, coaxial, optical? Run a cable to the rack, if it's not too far.

Topping D10 ($100 or less) will take USB and turn it into proper analog for your purposes. I prefer something with S/PDIF inputs, so maybe one of their other models.

I'm sure you'll get other equipment recommendations, I'm no good at that. Good luck.

The only computer I have is my Macbook which only offers a 3.5mm out. I mean I suppose I could use that. I kinda wanted to have one of those fancy streamers audiophile companies make, except not spend $5000 on it (because it shouldn't cost that much and I can build it myself). Right now I've just got a Sony DVD player from 2001 hooked up, but it looks stupid.

My computer is also a piece of junk and needs a new battery and the touchpad is busted. It only works plugged in and I've got a trackball hooked up to it. The thing is in a sad state. There are some other PCs lying around here and there that I could use.

Maybe "cost effective" wasn't quite the right choice of words. Hooking an already existing PC would be cheapest option, but it isn't terribly elegant. Also, I'd have to a keyboard and mouse on hand to operate thing.

I'm really bored and lonely so I'm dreaming up ways I can impress girls when my mental health improves and I can leave my parents' house (probably never). My turntable is a PS-X800 so it isn't very cute at all. All my records are strange things which I like or junk picked up in bulk. My CDs are again all stuff that appeals to me and not to normal humans. If I have to get up from the couch to change the songs it will ruin the mood. Therefore I need something I can control with a laptop wirelessly. Humour me a little, please. I am desperately bored and sad. Something like this gives me something to think about and fill my days.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need a dedicated audio computer? You want cheap? You've used Linux? Order a Raspberry Pi & stop obsessing!

Add a Khadas, JDS or Topping DAC. Try Volumio, etc. Enjoy!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm dreaming up ways I can impress girls

There are no girls here, despite the impression you might get when viewing the pretty face you see to the left of this message.

(there may be some, incognito)

Well, there might have been one.

garbulky

Major Contributor
The only computer I have is my Macbook which only offers a 3.5mm out. I mean I suppose I could use that. I kinda wanted to have one of those fancy streamers audiophile companies make, except not spend $5000 on it (because it shouldn't cost that much and I can build it myself). Right now I've just got a Sony DVD player from 2001 hooked up, but it looks stupid.

My computer is also a piece of junk and needs a new battery and the touchpad is busted. It only works plugged in and I've got a trackball hooked up to it. The thing is in a sad state. There are some other PCs lying around here and there that I could use.

Maybe "cost effective" wasn't quite the right choice of words. Hooking an already existing PC would be cheapest option, but it isn't terribly elegant. Also, I'd have to a keyboard and mouse on hand to operate thing.

I'm really bored and lonely so I'm dreaming up ways I can impress girls when my mental health improves and I can leave my parents' house (probably never). My turntable is a PS-X800 so it isn't very cute at all. All my records are strange things which I like or junk picked up in bulk. My CDs are again all stuff that appeals to me and not to normal humans. If I have to get up from the couch to change the songs it will ruin the mood. Therefore I need something I can control with a laptop wirelessly. Humour me a little, please. I am desperately bored and sad. Something like this gives me something to think about and fill my days.
Your macbook should have an optical output INSIDE the 3.5 mm output jack. If your model has it, and it likely does, it requires an adapter.

So you would likely want to keep things DIGITAL till you get to whatever DAC you are going to use to convert the sound to analog - hence the use of an optical output or USB.
If you want to get fancy, do away with the computer on your rack but still go cheap, I see talk of people using Rasbperry Pi which are a lot smaller and can be designed to run without a screen and controlled from your phone or whatever. I don't know much about them but this forum sure does.

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
It depends on how you want to store your music and how you want to access it. With the CD-player gone, you need some way of interacting with the stored music.
I have build myself a Logitech Media Server setup with some Raspberries, Allo Boss DAC, Volt Amp and Hifibery Zero DAC. This would be my recommendation, especially if you plan to bring music to other rooms.
At Archimagos, he has written a lot about streaming setups using Raspberries and even 7" touch screens.
For your case, I would start with something like this:
NAS: Synology (DS-218) or QNAP (TS-253B) with something like WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf
LMS-Server: Raspberry 3B+ with either Max2Play, Picoreplayer, Volumio... (I 'm using Picoreplayer right now and it works really fine)
Streamer: Raspberry 3B+ or Zero W with i.e. Allo Boss DAC, Katana, Hifiberry or you go the Khadas Tone Board route with the VIM (Needs more setup but it seems that you're capable of that)
I don't know if you even need a Logitech Media Server. I was able to play music through Bubble UPNP with the music server coming with the Synology NAS and a "headless" Raspberry Pi streamer. (Picoreplayer works also that way)
You can add touch screen, an amp or whatever you like.
If you want an "out of the box" solution, you should look at the SONOS Connect or the counterparts from Bluesound. Be sure that this will be much more expensive!

Willem

Major Contributor
The simplest solution to add streaming capability is to use a Chromecast Audio. It will stream services like Spotify, and with the Bubble UPnP software you can connect to a NAS (but you will need some computer skills to get that working). For starters, you can use the analogue output of the CCA into your existing preamplifier. Sound quality will be remarkably good. By the way, why not use you old DVD player as a CD player? It will do that just fine.
Once you will feel at ease with these options, you can get yourself a decent DAC with multiple inputs. Use the digital output of the Chromecast Audio for somewhat better sound quality, and use the digital output from the DVD player (or get a new uhd player *with digital audio output*) to benefit from a better modern DAC (unless that DVD player already has a very good inbuilt DAC). Similarly, a good DAC will probaly improve on the sound quality of the television (if it has a digital output as most now do), if you also have that connected to the audio system.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The crux in a case like this may be less finding a solution at all but rather finding one that suits the OP's needs. Many ways to skin a proverbial cat. It's not like this kind of problem is exactly new.

I might try a traditional HTPC (with matching wireless keyboard w/ touchpad) plus potentially a DAC with Toslink input, plus some sort of separate Bluetooth receiver to accommodate the new-fangled phones (ideally the hi-fi capable sort with apt-X support and all).

An HTPC build from 2010-12 may now be considered outdated in the video department but would remain plenty capable for audio, though a round of cleaning may be advised. An older i3 is easily powerful enough, and the main features you need are low noise, a decent amount of storage (possibly an SSD if the collection isn't too large, otherwise it's extremely nice to have one for the boot drive at least), a nice enough looking case and modest power consumption. Having a traditional PCI slot and Windows 7 on hand may also come in handy if you find that an analog connection from onboard audio results in no ground loop issues (assuming the system doesn't already ship with one, something like a Xonar D1 is spectacularly good converter hardware for little more than a tenner used, though the drivers are quite a handful to say the least, and I understand that the "settings dance" may not be everyone's cup of tea even though the XonarSwitch utility helps a lot; these days I have settled down to using DirectSound output and resampling everything to 44.1 kHz using the SoX resampler - I could run the card at 96 but then any YouTube audio would have to be resampled). Of course, with a good ALC889 (or even ALC892) implementation, there may be precious little reason to upgrade to begin with, and if you only need Toslink output for a DAC, I'd definitely stick with onboard. (At least the Realtek drivers have a well-working WASAPI implementation, assuming your version is not from a certain range in about 2011 where selecting 24-bit, 44.1 kHz output would initialize the hardware all wrong.)

My go-to music player on a system like this (or any other Windows PC, for that matter) would be Foobar2000, which is utilitarian but also extremely flexible and lean on resource usage, not to mention free. It can do everything needed for managing a music library including moving and converting files (with custom converter presets), there are various remote control options including an app, there's full ReplayGain support and gapless playback, database view can be extensively customized (as can keyboard shortcuts), and thanks to developer tools there are a whole lot of often 3rd-party plugins (some of mine include ASIO and WASAPI output, the SoX resampler, UPnP server and streaming client, HDCD decoder, CD deemphasis und Youtube input). I like the portable installation, which means it can easily be copied around with all settings included (that might have taken you years to tweak). Yes, it's pretty much the definition of a learning curve, but it's worth it. It's a power tool for power users, for better or worse, and about as far from iTunes as you can get. (The one thing I will give iTunes credit for is automatic handling of CD deemphasis when ripping. That said, if I had a big pile to rip I'd probably splurge on dBpoweramp, I like good ol' EAC but its metadata retrieval is limited, though MP3Tag may help somewhat.)
There are other, potentially friendlier players like JRiver Media Center or MediaMonkey that can also can give good results (potentially with some outlay), but I maintain that you pretty much have to know what you're doing either way, and I like the no-nonsense approach of calling a spade a spade.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Raspberry Pi 3B or 3B+
Topping D10 DAC or Kahdas Toneboard
A couple of uSD cards.

If you don't mind the two-unit approach, using the Topping D10 and the Raspberry Pi sounds rather nice, plenty as good as current CD players.
Put Volumio on a (min. 4GB) uSD card and set it up on the RPi.
You can put your music on a USB HDD or USB stick and Volumio will play it without issue.
You control Volumio over a local network from you computer/smart phone, via a very easy to use interface.
Depending on sample rate of the media, switching is automatic or converted (your choice), so you can have 'bit-perfect' playback.

As long as you don't want support for embedded cue sheets in your flac, buy this I mean each track is a separate file, this setup works wonderfully well and sounds really, really good. This is just about £100 without adding uSD cards or external storage.

Switching for the Khadas Toneboard or some other RPi specific "HAT" DAC could allow for making a one-box solution.
Still with Volumio for player software.

Another option would be to run Raspbian OS (Debian-ish Linux) as a proper full features operating system on the RPi, but have to tether it via HDMI, or faff with realVNC (good remote desktop access) or SSH.
You can use any compatible audio player programs, like Clementine or whatever and play you music from the RPi external HDD or USB stick.
A problem with some players and this general approach is that auto sample rate switching might not happen and require a mess about with JACK and what not. That just equals too much faff for me, but you might want to.

You can actually put a cheap touchscreen LCD on the RPi and use that to control Volumio!
That would mean you wouldn't even have to use another remote device - although that is all the rage these days. Much better than an IR remote with dumb buttons on it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
See if you can track down a recently discontinued Chromeaudio. RCA out... Optical out also avail if you upgrade your receiver/preamp.

They are back up as of earlier today for $15... They won't be around long.

Easy...

I've been reading stuff on this forum but this is my first post. I think it is time to transition from a simple CD player to something a little more sophisticated. I've already got a hi-fi setup so I would need to add a DAC and the some kind of computing device to my setup.

With regards to DACs I have no idea what to choose. I've looked at a lot of articles on here, but I'm not totally clear on the meaning of all the measurements. I still haven't found an explanation of sample jitter that I can understand (how do those sidebands get there) so I feel a little stupid. I'll be using the device for playback of ripped CDs (so 44.1kHz sample rate FLAC files) primarily. I guess I am looking for something as close to "perfect" as I can get. I want something as linear as possible and with noise jitter below the noise floor. From what I understand cheaper DACs are just a likely or perhaps even more so than expensive ones to do that. I don't want something with a "sound" just a technically correct output. I only need RCA out. I'll be feeding into my late 80s Pioneer C-90 preamp. So I guess it needs line level output and something without a volume knob.

For the computer section I have no idea what to do. I used to fool around with Linux so I'm somewhat familiar with process of setting things like that up. I have no idea what sort of hardware is required. Ideally I would like to build everything into one box, but I understand it is popular to use NAS storage is popular and probably more convenient. As for the operating system I've no clue what is best. A robust interface would be good. If could somehow also use YouTube, and other streaming services for when my non-audiophile come over and want to show me a song that would be great. A lot of people put music on their phones as well, so some kind of connectivity with those would be ideal (but I don't know if that is possible).

Basically I just need something that will do Redbook audio. Hi-res capability might be an issue, but I'll definitely never use DSD or any of that nonsense. I'd like to make the unit as self-contained as possible and just have it be another part of my stack of hi-fi equipment, but I don't know how feasible that actually is. I'd actually probably be fine with a CD player, but I really want something normies can use to show me music in the event that I ever leave my parent's house and make friends. Compatibility with streaming services might be nice, but I currently don't use those.

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I just want something that measures correctly for my digital music. From what I gather that shouldn't be too much, but I don't know.

Willem

Major Contributor
Personally I would not want to be without a disc player in the foreseeable future. Fortunately they cost next to nothing: even a dirt cheap Bluray player will sound very well, and all the more so if you spend a little more for one with a coax or optical digital out. I am still using a 10 year old entry level player from a major Japanese brand and using the optical out into a good quality DAC the sound is superb. Even its own internal DAC was pretty decent, however.
To be honest, I do like the convenience and wide range of available reportoire offered by streaming services. For that I use the Chromecast Audio, first from its rather good analogue output, but now from its optical output into a high quality DAC. That sounds even better. The lesson is that the sound quality is located in the DAC. Good DACs are not necessarily expensive, so I chose mine from a major manufacturer, and with enough inputs to cover all the bases (unfortunately an issue with quite a few DACs). Mine has usb, AES/EBU, 2x Toslink and 2x coax. I would not want to have much less. In your case, I would start the experiment with the analogue output of the Chromecast Audio. And I would get a (UHD?)Bluray player (with digtal audio out - these days some budget offerings only have hdmi). I at least always listen to my TV and Bluray discs through my main stereo audio system. I cannot imagine listening to videos of opera or ballet registrations etc through just the tv speakers or some sound bar when I have a really good stereo system.

D700

A Squeezebox Classic or Touch would be a low cost way to get into areas you are talking about. You’d want to install Logitech Music Server on a PC to build your local library, then connect the Squeezebox to your stereo. You could get into that less than $100 from eBay. It’s a whole ecosystem and there are stil legions of users and active support from Logitech.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Squeezebox Classic or Touch would be a low cost way to get into areas you are talking about. You’d want to install Logitech Music Server on a PC to build your local library, then connect the Squeezebox to your stereo. You could get into that less than $100 from eBay. It’s a whole ecosystem and there are stil legions of users and active support from Logitech.
That's certainly what I would do. It works very well indeed, with minimum faff. The internal DAC on the Squeezebox Touch is very good, but if you suffer from Audiophilia Nervosa, you have a digital output to which you can attach an external DAC. I use the digital output to record from internet radio, mainly for the BBC Proms each summer. LMS is very stable indeed, and as mentioned above is supported by an army of enthusiasts so is unlikely to fade away any time soon.

When I read of the limitations and/or difficulties in getting current commercial products to work across different platforms and with different media, (even things like gapless playback isn't yet universal!) I hope my SBT/LMS combination carries on for a very long time.

S.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I started with LMS on my home office laptop, as that's on all day. When my storage needs exceeded the 500G drive in the laptop, I added an external USB drive. I don't have kids streaming movies, or games, so never felt the need for a NAS, as the laptop does all I need. By the way, DO take backups of your music library, as when (not if) your hard drive fails, you don't want to have to rip everything again.

S

D700

Also, getting your CD collection ripped is no small task, there are services that will do it for you around .60/ea. If you rip yourself, get a decent external hard drive (I'm on Mac, I use an OWC). For ripping I use XLD (used to use EAC when on Windows). My favorite music tagging software is Picard (Music Brainz)...it does *everything* and runs fast, extremely configurable.

Its kind of fun ripping (once) as I enjoyed seeing all the tags for the CDs, reacquainting myself with music I hadn't listened to in many years. If you have large collection, recommend you practice with a few CDs (Music, Soundtrack, Tribute) are the 3 main types of CDs I tag for...each uses a different folder hierarchy and slightly different tags. Play around till you get it organized and ripping with file names and tag formats you want...then its just feeding the CD drive till you're done...5-10 minutes a CD.

Have fun.

captain paranoia

My setup is as follows:

WD MyCloud NAS as file server & Twonky DLNA media server. My CD collection is ripped to FLAC on the NAS using Exact Audio Copy, with any necessary metadata massaging done by MediaMonkey or MusicBee.

MusicBee running on a PC, or a cheap, 2nd hand Win8.1 tablet, both accessing the NAS file server (wired access for the PC, WiFi access for the tablet).
MusicBee streaming via UPnP/DLNA over WiFi to one of a number of DLNA renderers around the house (Denon N5 in the bedroom, RPi/Volumio on the main hifi, BubbleUPnP on a cheap Android media box on the TV system).

I can also run BubbleUPnP on my Android devices, accessing the NAS DLNA server, and stream to the DLNA renderers, or Chromecast Audio renderers.

Exact Audio Copy is free.
MusicBee is free.
MediaMonkey has a free version.
Volumio is free.
BubbleUPnP cost me £3.16 for apparently unlimited copies.
4TB MyCloud NAS cost me £149 some years ago.
Win8.1 tablet cost me £25.
RPi & PiFi DAC+ cost me £45.

Top Bottom