• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

poxymoron

Good evening all from Ireland.

I'm looking for some advice please on a few issues and I understand totally if you give up after a few lines as I ramble but despite being a wannabe audiophile (taking the scientific approach) I'm very much a noob. Given that my biggest problem right now is the room I thought this was the best place to post.

I'm currently listening to my music by streaming Tidal Hifi from my phone/tablet (using USB Audio Player PRO) or from my laptop using the Tidal app (and Audirvarna trial) using my Helm Bolt DAC (which I bought for my car and headphones) all being sent via a balanced cable to my Edifier S3000pro speakers. I'm more than happy with the speakers. On first arrival they really impressed me but I've had to move my speakers to a smaller room with each speaker now placed on Edifier stands on either side of a large chimney breast, close to the chimney itself and some 400mm away from the rear wall. So the speakers are in a recess of sorts either side of the chimney. Here they'll stay for the next year or two until I convert the upstairs of my garage into a small office/music room. That itself will create another room correction need I suspect given the low walls and sloped ceiling above but that's for another day and I'll be happy to acoustically treat that room. The speakers are not performing nearly as good as they did when I got them first when I had them in a larger more forgiving room. They now have a lot of bass boominess dominating the mids and the highs. As little as I know, from what I've read on this forum room correction is badly needed. I'm looking to get a dedicated DAC, Tidal streamer and something for room correction. I've settled on the Dirac route as I don't want to stream from my laptop even though I'd be happy enough to try REW EQ. There is an order I'll need to buy each of these financially so I'll go with the room correction first.

I was considering the RME ADI-2 FS for my DAC needs while also using the 5 band parametric EQ to go some way to fixing the room but I suspect from what I've read it won't go far enough for room correction. I'm now considering the following:
SMSL SD-9 streamer -> miniDSP DDRC-22D -> SMSL SU-9 -> Edifier S3000pro.
Firstly, do I have these in the right order? I at least know that the speakers go at the end :).

If I go with the DDRC-22D first will the following route work in the short term?
Tidal phone/tablet -> miniDSP DDRC-22D -> Helm Bolt DAC -> Edifier S3000pro.

I think the SD-9 streamer would suit my needs and the SU-9 is for a good DAC in a tidy stack but I'm happy to consider a different DAC as this will come next year. I considered the miniDSP DDRC-24 but I'd prefer a dedicated DAC as the DDRC-24 DAC would be a bit of a weak link. I'm not expecting miracles from the miniDSP but I suspect it would offer the biggest solution to my sound right now and will also help with my new music room.

If you've made it this far I thank you and I hope I haven't ruined your music. I'd be very grateful for any advice or comments you have on the route I'm taking and the components I plan on using.

BTW @amirm this website is my homepage, love it. Well done.

Thank you.

ebslo

Forum Donor
Looks OK to me, although I would probably spend the extra $150 for an SHD Studio over the DDRC-22D because it has a builtin streamer and 2 extra output channels for when you want to add sub(s).

OP
P

poxymoron

Thanks @ebslo. Indeed, that makes sense, no need for the SD-9 in that case although I've read mixed views on the Volumio streaming, I'll need to do some more reseach on that. I've looked at the ADI-2 FS a bit more, I'm thinking now that the SHD Studio and the ADI-2 FS would be the better option. So many features on the ADI-2 FS which might be a bit of fun to experiment with.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the SHD "studio" version. Volumio is fine, if you're not tinkering with EQ settings on the fly.

It does not natively integrate Amazon music, but keeping the Amazon app open to sort offerings is adequate.

If you're streaming through Qobuz or Tidal, the interface is slick.

OP
P

poxymoron

I use the SHD "studio" version. Volumio is fine, if you're not tinkering with EQ settings on the fly.

It does not natively integrate Amazon music, but keeping the Amazon app open to sort offerings is adequate.

If you're streaming through Qobuz or Tidal, the interface is slick.
Thanks Jim. If I want to tinker EQ on the fly the ADI-2 FS parametric eq would do the trick. I don't plan on using Amazon music, just Tidal HiFi and perhaps my ton of FLACSs which I've not used in some time.

OP
P

poxymoron

Thanks Jim. If I want to tinker EQ on the fly the ADI-2 FS parametric eq would do the trick. I don't plan on using Amazon music, just Tidal HiFi and perhaps my ton of FLACSs which I've not used in some time.
A couple more queries Jim, I'll likely have to use the wifi dongle, have you been using ethernet or wifi? Just wondering how well the wifi works. And how successful was your room EQ with Dirac, or did you use it? Thanks.

Willem

Major Contributor
I think your journey should begin with some REW measurement to discover the nature of your problem. Next I would suggest you create an equalizationc/filter curve in REW and apply that to your computer using something like the free Equalizer APO software. This may not be as good as what Dirac can do, but it will go quite a way.
After this you have a fair number of options for a more permanent arrangement.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple more queries Jim, I'll likely have to use the wifi dongle, have you been using ethernet or wifi? Just wondering how well the wifi works. And how successful was your room EQ with Dirac, or did you use it? Thanks.
I ran DIRAC with the MiniDSP install. There was so little adjustment recommened that I run with DIRAC off. I do cross my subs pretty high - near 200 hZ. They're directly under my main speakers so stereo imaging is fine. The MiniDSP crossover suite was simple to use, and allowed testing of multiple configurations "on the fly".

The connection is by ethernet cable, direct to my mesh WiFi unit. This was expensive, but eliminated drop outs and dead spots in our two story house, even with four of us home and online.

https://www.linksys.com/us/whole-ho...elop-ax-whole-home-wifi-6-system/p/p-mx10600/

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can't you move the speakers to a better position for listening then store them when not in use?

OP
P

poxymoron

I think your journey should begin with some REW measurement to discover the nature of your problem. Next I would suggest you create an equalizationc/filter curve in REW and apply that to your computer using something like the free Equalizer APO software. This may not be as good as what Dirac can do, but it will go quite a way.
After this you have a fair number of options for a more permanent arrangement.
I've been thinking that myself, makes sense, thanks.

OP
P

poxymoron

Can't you move the speakers to a better position for listening then store them when not in use?
no can do unfortunately. speakers on the stands are big and heavy enough to make it difficult and not worthwhile - i get little time as it is to listen to music with my 6 year old daughter so i just like to sit down with my music whenever i get the chance.

OP
P

poxymoron

so now i'm thinking about the miniDSP SHD as a one box solution but i'd find it difficult to find a place for it in the room i'm in if it had to go flat as shown in all product images, which i suspect it does. does anybody know if it can be placed sideways/vertically if it is carefully and securely fixed? i've asked this question on the miniDSP forum and am awaiting a response. i'll have plenty of space for it when i do my music room. thanks.

OP
P

poxymoron

okay, so after all of that it turns out that there's no point adding a new DAC, everything gets converted back to digital by the speaker's ADC so it can do its DSP and then the speaker's DAC converts it back to analogue. thanks to @Ultrasonic on the miniDSP forums (same guy here I think judging by his subwoofer) for saving me €1000. so i'll go with the SHD Studio to correct the room, then add a sub with a decent budget DAC and then look at acoustic treatment when I get my music room done. that's as good as the Edifiers will get I think. and then I can do what some (most?) of us do and start again! thanks for your help.

G-rig

Hey guys, agree the Tidal connect / volumio interface is great, i'll probably front up for the volumio subscription, not sure if many free workarounds are that usable.

Cannot get the Volumio Sound output to display when connecting QoBuz, any ideas? The Volumio forum look like no one has been there in months.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... and then look at acoustic treatment when I get my music room done.

I'm late to the discussion and have nothing to offer in the short term, but I was struck by your description of your future music room above the garage, with low walls and sloped ceilings. I had a room exactly like that, for about six years. It was very cheaply constructed - just 4x2s framing the room shape inside the open rafters, with a drywall skin on the inside, and one thickness of fluffy fiberglass behind it, and that was it. It was expensive to heat.

But it was a truly great music room. No bass problems at all, because to long wavelengths the room wasn't there at all. It didn't exist. Effectively the speakers were playing in free field. Mid- and high-frequency reflections were taken care of with thin panels. So that's my advice - when you build your room, build it cheap and nasty. Think of the heating bill as a tax on musical perfection.

OP
P

poxymoron

I'm late to the discussion and have nothing to offer in the short term, but I was struck by your description of your future music room above the garage, with low walls and sloped ceilings. I had a room exactly like that, for about six years. It was very cheaply constructed - just 4x2s framing the room shape inside the open rafters, with a drywall skin on the inside, and one thickness of fluffy fiberglass behind it, and that was it. It was expensive to heat.

But it was a truly great music room. No bass problems at all, because to long wavelengths the room wasn't there at all. It didn't exist. Effectively the speakers were playing in free field. Mid- and high-frequency reflections were taken care of with thin panels. So that's my advice - when you build your room, build it cheap and nasty. Think of the heating bill as a tax on musical perfection.
Thanks for that, interesting to know. It's an existing garage just hoarding junk right now. The main purpose is for a small office and music room upstairs and, long term, a pool room downstairs, and yes, the biggest cost I think will be insulating it. I'll be doing it bit by bit as funds become available, that way I can insulate it properly right from the start. I'll also be happy to acoustically treat it as required, again, bit by bit. I'm an architect so I'm able to model and visualise it first which is helpful because it will be quite compact. 3D image attached.

Attachments

• Office 01 PP.jpg
    Office 01 PP.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 122
OP
P

poxymoron

Hey guys, agree the Tidal connect / volumio interface is great, i'll probably front up for the volumio subscription, not sure if many free workarounds are that usable.

Cannot get the Volumio Sound output to display when connecting QoBuz, any ideas? The Volumio forum look like no one has been there in months.
I didn't think Tidal Connect was available yet on the SHD Studio? I was going to get the iFi Zen Stream before I get the SHD Studio but perhaps if the streaming is good enough on the Studio then I don't need the Zen Stream. I might run with the Zen Blue using LDAC until I get the Studio. I'll get the measuring mic and use REW first to see what's possible.

Willem

Major Contributor
Saving money on insulation is bad economics, and does not help the planet to survive. We recently had a leaking flat roof on our house from 1998, and the verdict was that it had to be redone completely with modern epdm. We had always known that if and when the roof needed to be redone we would also have to renew and upgrade the old insulation to the highest modern standards. So we did, with an R>6.5, and already now we can feel the difference. The heating does not come on in the morning and yet the temperature is still quite comfortable. Next month the insulation in the space under the floor will also be upgraded. After that, we will be ready for a heat pump instead of the current gas boiler. We are living in rapidly changing times.

OP
P

poxymoron

Saving money on insulation is bad economics, and does not help the planet to survive. We recently had a leaking flat roof on our house from 1998, and the verdict was that it had to be redone completely with modern epdm. We had always known that if and when the roof needed to be redone we would also have to renew and upgrade the old insulation to the highest modern standards. So we did, with an R>6.5, and already now we can feel the difference. The heating does not come on in the morning and yet the temperature is still quite comfortable. Next month the insulation in the space under the floor will also be upgraded. After that, we will be ready for a heat pump instead of the current gas boiler. We are living in rapidly changing times.
For sure. Must be airtight too - seal everything.

Top Bottom