• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My BIC F12 finally gave up. Can it be salvaged?

Jstutman

Forum Donor
I have a BIC 12 that I've had in storage for a short while. It worked for about a week. Before this happened, I was noticing a small "popping" sound coming from the subwoofer itself.

Now the subwoofer appears to still work. I can still see it moving but barely. There is just zero excursion? Like the drivers in my bookshelf are putting out more bass than the subwoofer does at this point.

Checked fuse.
With the symptoms I'm having especially with the popping I heard from the subwoofer. I'm assuming the sub may be the culprit. Thoughts?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
J

Jstutman

Forum Donor
I have two svs subs which is why this one was in storage

GEJIndy

I have a BIC 12 that I've had in storage for a short while. It worked for about a week. Before this happened, I was noticing a small "popping" sound coming from the subwoofer itself.

Now the subwoofer appears to still work. I can still see it moving but barely. There is just zero excursion? Like the drivers in my bookshelf are putting out more bass than the subwoofer does at this point.

Checked fuse.
With the symptoms I'm having especially with the popping I heard from the subwoofer. I'm assuming the sub may be the culprit. Thoughts?

Were you ever able to get this fixed?
I have a couple of thoughts.
I have a small 10" BIC sub that stopped working. I like to repair electronics so I took it apart. It has a very simple amplifier. Anyway, I found a bad capacitor in the power on circuit. I didnt have a schematic but it wasn't too hard to fix. I have an EE background and have been repairing electronics as a hobby since I was in high school. You should give it a try.
GEJIndy

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Were you ever able to get this fixed?
I have a couple of thoughts.
I have a small 10" BIC sub that stopped working. I like to repair electronics so I took it apart. It has a very simple amplifier. Anyway, I found a bad capacitor in the power on circuit. I didnt have a schematic but it wasn't too hard to fix. I have an EE background and have been repairing electronics as a hobby since I was in high school. You should give it a try.
GEJIndy
Welcome Aboard @GEJIndy.

Top Bottom