• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My auditory system warming up/adjusting to sound

Fregly

I have noticed while listening through headphones that after a certain amount of time the sound seems to improve in a listening session. The soundscape expands, a more of a rounded and real quality to the music. Time was I would say the components were warming up. I suspect this is just somehow my auditory system needing time to adjust or get acclimatized. I wonder what would be going on physiologically. Closing eyes has an effect as well. I believe in this case the visual system is dominant and shutting it down accesses more brain power to the ears.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This is a widely accepted phenomenon...
It's the brain doing this and is not of 'mechanical' origin.
I call it 'brain-in' ...
That word sounds funny to me and covers the load.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Maybe it's just your stress level going down? :)

When you are stressed, the senses focus on the things most critical for survival. Registrering a wide frequency spectrum is not one of them.

SiW

Maybe it's just your stress level going down? :)

When you are stressed, the senses focus on the things most critical for survival. Registrering a wide frequency spectrum is not one of them.

This is it for me - finally can relax and then it’s all good :)

Snafu

Well, having tube pre+power amps "warming up" sure changes sound. It takes about 15min until it's settled...

But with solid state... not so sure ;)

Top Bottom