• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Audiolense Experience (JBL M2)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In 2019, I purchased Audiolense XO to try. Long story short, I couldn't get it to work due to an odd error I kept getting. Fast forward to 7 months ago when I interviewed Mitch on my podcast here. The more we talked, the more I wanted to try Audiolense. After the podcast Mitch asked me if I was going to try it and I explained my previous issue. He mentioned to me that anomaly was just solved a month prior.

For the next few months I had to decide on how I wanted to handle the MCH DAC and Roon Core setup. I built a W10 NUCi7 connected directly to a Motu UltraLite Mk5.

@mitchco charges a modest $500 for the filter creation and also helping you along the way with what issue(s) might come along. For most of us, time is of the essence and a positive result is critical so I thought it would be worth paying the money to have someone hold my hand through the process and hopefully not ruin anything either thus making the $500 minimal. ;)

Mitch might be the most patient man I've ever dealt with on so many levels. He taught me how to count to 8, using 0-7 for routing (you might be surprised how much of a mind f*** this is) among a timing issue during measurement I had. My point is simple, if you're already to this point, just pay the money and make your life a bit easier and know that you have a highly experienced user creating filters for you. The cherry on top is at the end he sends you the file to create your own along with the directions to do so.

If you've made it this far you're asking how does it sound, right? Well, look at the measurements! Translation - Amazing! After about 6 filters I settled on one that I preferred. I can't say enough about Mitch and Bernt of what they have accomplished.

This is not your typical Digital Room Correction (DRC) where phase and timing is NOT corrected. This is SOTA digital crossovers, frequency correction and true time domain correction which now make up my stereo 4 way digital XO system.

Juice HiFi

https://accuratesound.ca/

www.roomeqwizard.com

Audiolense

Jason digital XO fr.jpg

Jason digital XO step.jpg

I then confirmed the results with REW

Jason frequency response.jpg

Jason Step response.jpg

Jason Phase response.jpg

Routing.jpg

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Congrats. I'm not surprised the result is so consistent. A few questions for you:

It's full range correction?

What's going on in the phase response?

How do things look with an MMM?

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Flat to 10hz. That must sound and feel good!

Ata

Forum Donor
Flat to 10hz. That must sound and feel good!

Yes, why is it flat to 10Hz in measurements but only flat to 20Hz in predicted response? Is there a difference in measured vs predicted SPL?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all congratulations on the fantastic setup.
After about 6 filters I settled on one that I preferred.
Could you maybe write also some words tell more about them and their differences? Also do have also some listening position measurements without DRC but the stock JBL setup? Would be interesting to compare both above transition frequency where direct sound matters more.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's going on in the phase response?
My guess would be the measurement window. As soon as you have room interference in there, the phase will be all over the place. Confirmation of this is the fact that up to 250 or so Hz it looks fine.
I'm pretty sure he's using subs.
I see UM18 and 18.00SW in the picture. I'm pretty sure Dayton and Ciare are happy with that ;)

Ata

Forum Donor
So the sub integration is handled outside of the filters?

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all congratulations on the fantastic setup.

Could you maybe write also some words tell more about them and their differences? Also do have also some listening position measurements without DRC but the stock JBL setup? Would be interesting to compare both above transition frequency where direct sound matters more.
Looks like all has been answered except for this one.

I do somewhere have all those measurements. Please don't make me try to dig them up. :p

OK, just for you:
M2 L_R.jpg

The different filters are basically the amount of correction. I prefer the Harman target of -8 dB @ 20 kHz. @mitchco did a -9 dB as well as a -3 dB and -12 dB of max filter correction. It's hard to believe that you can audibly hear these differences but you sure can. At least on the M2's. :)

Here's a peak into our discussion which goes directly to what you asked rather than me just blab about it now...this is more raw and I still stand by it.

This is literally straight out of my email to Mitch:
1633450892101.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is official: You @jtwrace, are on my Hate List (FHL)...

Wow!.. Seriously thinking about going the @mitchco / Audiolense route.

Wondering out loud, if my ultracheap setup is worth it :confused:.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is official: You @jtwrace, are on my Hate List (FHL)...

Wow!.. Seriously thinking about going the @mitchco / Audiolense route.

Wondering out loud, if my ultracheap setup is worth it :confused:.
haha. I'll tell you the same thing I told my dad after he listened to it. Move closer then you don't need to worry about having it. :p

Top Bottom