• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Adventures in Stereo

My adventures in stereo

Hi
A long term lurker, who recently started posting here
This site, posts & reviews here, helped me a lot in putting together my rig and also improving my knowledge base

Wanted to share, collection of writings on a few topics
This is based on my first hand experience and may be of use to fellow audio adventurers

I also enjoy recording samples, on my rig and posting on youtube
Still very much in the learning process

Have tried a few combinations, recorded on the following :

Book Shelves
- Revel Performa M 106
- Revel Concerta M16
- Kef LS 50
- Focal Aria 906
- Dynaudio Focus 140

My subs of choice are the SVS PB 2000 Pro, dual , love the built in DSP for room EQ

Class AB power Amp ( Now relegated to home theater duty)
Parasound Halo A23
Parasound 2125

Class D - Power amp
Audiofonics MPA 400 ET; Monobloc Purifi Amplifier ( Desk top system)
Nu Prime ST 10
NAD C298 ( for Main Stereo )

Have put together, a few write ups on my blog

My adventures in stereo

The subwoofer battle

Adventures in Purifi

Would love feedback on the articles and the recordings
Thanks

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
How do the m106 and m16 differ in sound?

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I owned a pair for Focal Aria 906's several years ago and absolutely loved them. In many ways they transitioned me from from being a mid-fi guy to a hi-fi guy. I eventually swapped them for Aria 936's, which I still own and love and use for my primary system. While they share the tweeter and mid-range with the 906, the three 6.5" bass drivers and substantial cabinet size obviously make the 936 sound pretty different.

Late last year I rebuilt my smaller office system from the ground up, and I considered getting the 906's again, but they were too deep for my desk. I opted for Revel M105's largely based on the review(s) here while also meeting size constraints. Now I'm also a huge fan of the Revels, and I'm very happy with my choice.

All of that BS above was to frame a question that doesn't even directly relate, but whatever. How do you compare the Revel M106 (since they are similar to my M105s) to the Focal Aria 906 (which I don't even own anymore)?

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

I share your love for the focal 906, enjoyed reading your experience with them
They presently grace my desktop and I love them in a near field setting
They were great in my main rig too, used them as my B speakers in a AB setting with my Revell M 106
Found that I slightly preferred the Revel over the focal, in terms of neutrality
The treble on the focal is slightly harsher
They are both excellent speakers

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

the system 251221.jpg

steve59

Major Contributor
I love how focal speakers present the midrange. I asked a local dealer to order me a pair of kanta 3's and from about 150 hz and up I really liked them. I couldn't get the bass to settle in so I returned them, but I'm one of those guys that prefer speakers with a bit of personality over dead neutral stuff.

Top Bottom