• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My acoustically treated Home Theatre (updated)

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What would you recommend then. Should I stick to Q950.
I do not like making suggestions as there are very large number of criteria that effects the decision.

Will it not work in 24" wide 48"tall enclosure. Wouldn't it be similar to as installed flush with the wall.
It’s the depth, the issue. When the baffle is flush with the wall you have perfect 2pi operation with no boundary discontinuity. Otherwise, at frequencies higher than the wavelength of the sound you have discontinuity. That causes issues which are eliminated with in-wall speakers.

KING DRANZER

I do not like making suggestions as there are very large number of criteria that effects the decision.

It’s the depth, the issue. When the baffle is flush with the wall you have perfect 2pi operation with no boundary discontinuity. Otherwise, at frequencies higher than the wavelength of the sound you have discontinuity. That causes issues which are eliminated with in-wall speakers.
Wouldn't that be negligible beyond a certain point. 2ft or 3ft is a lot of width. And the enclosure itself be flush mount to wall. Just asking.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't that be negligible beyond a certain point. 2ft or 3ft is a lot of width. And the enclosure itself be flush mount to wall. Just asking.
Negligible below a certain point but not above. The wavelength at 4kHz is just 11cm.

In my room I built a false wall and mounted all speakers and the TV on it.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trinnov sent me this link to answer my request for explanation of their new WaveForming tech. I’m sold. I started planning to double the subs on the front wall and to add two new subs to the rear wall. Front wall is easy as it’s a custom wall only for in-wall speakers and TV and there’s ample space. The rear wall will be tricky.
As things progress, it would be very interesting to share you experience and measurements along the way. I thought I had read minimum subs required 3 or 4 front and back. Can you do just 2 on the back wall?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As things progress, it would be very interesting to share you experience and measurements along the way. I thought I had read minimum subs required 3 or 4 front and back. Can you do just 2 on the back wall?
From what I read you need minimum 4 subs at the front but 2 maybe enough at the back. I will try that.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I read you need minimum 4 subs at the front but 2 maybe enough at the back. I will try that.
Looking forward to see how it goes. While not the same, I am using a Stormaudio with Dirac ART and it optimizes bass like I have never heard before. I won’t ever go back. I love how both Trinnov and Dirac are doing new and interesting things.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering replacing my two JBL subs with 6x KEF Ci3160RLb-THX units. I already use one in the ceiling that augments the rear surround and rear height speakers. They require much smaller space on the false wall then the boxed JBLs, which means I can use six of them instead of four JBLs.

This will be the third front wall…then I need a rear false wall…for another set of KEFs.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering replacing my two JBL subs with 6x KEF Ci3160RLb-THX units. I already use one in the ceiling that augments the rear surround and rear height speakers. They require much smaller space on the false wall then the boxed JBLs, which means I can use six of them instead of four JBLs.

This will be the third front wall…then I need a rear false wall…for another set of KEFs.
Always intrigued by the possibility of in wall subs… It looks like 3 6.5 inch drivers. What kind of output are they capable of at 20hz?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always intrigued by the possibility of in wall subs… It looks like 3 6.5 inch drivers. What kind of output are they capable of at 20hz?
95dBSPL at 20Hz. I am planning to use six of them, which calculates as 110dBSPL. Enough to cause bowel movements :p

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
95dBSPL at 20Hz. I am planning to use six of them, which calculates as 110dBSPL. Enough to cause bowel movements :p
With some on front wall/back wall for room mode cancellation purposes, would it be that predictable as a calculator. It would seem if all were on the front wall that would be the case but on front/back would that necessarily be the case (not saying it won’t be enough, but just curious)?
Edit: Does KEF sell backer boxes for their in wall subs?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With some on front wall/back wall for room mode cancellation purposes, would it be that predictable as a calculator. It would seem if all were on the front wall that would be the case but on front/back would that necessarily be the case (not saying it won’t be enough, but just curious)?
Edit: Does KEF sell backer boxes for their in wall subs?
I’m planning to put all six on the front wall. They will replace the also in-wall JBLs which have 2x 10” drivers each.

The rear wall will have 4x KEFs as it will be narrower than the front wall due to space constraints. Besides, the rear wall doesn’t add any SPL capacity to the system. They operate out of phase to cancel the standing waves.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m planning to put all six on the front wall. They will replace the also in-wall JBLs which have 2x 10” drivers each.

The rear wall will have 4x KEFs as it will be narrower than the front wall due to space constraints. Besides, the rear wall doesn’t add any SPL capacity to the system. They operate out of phase to cancel the standing waves.
Sorry misunderstood all 6 were going on the front wall. That was my thought regarding if they were split front wall/rear wall. Be sure to post how it goes. Does KEF selling backer boxes for them?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does KEF selling backer boxes for them?
I don’t know, haven’t enquired as I have a false wall that acts as a very large enclosure.

mczx

There are five bass resonators hidden inside the false ceiling. These suck the five main room resonances (room modes) caused by the standing waves. Each is a tuned Helmholtz resonator made from 20cm (8”) diametre plastic water pipe. Their length set the frequency range they will operate at and the opening is adjustable for precise tuning. Once the room modes are reduced to near elimination the room frequency response became pretty flat. Only a very small amount of equalisation is required, which is done by Trinnov.
Do you have the before and after measurements regarding bass modes?

How can a small tube volume correct a large rooms volume?

mczx

Do you have the before and after measurements regarding bass modes?

How can a small tube volume correct a large rooms volume?
It turns out the handbook of acoustics claims they are great for tackling modes, also mentions partial fill with absorbent.

mczx

I create a rectangle opening (port) and over it slide a flap to change the port area. Once the required frequency is reached I tighten the screws (that are acting like a guide to the flap) to fix the flap in place.

I see adjustable length vents on the market but I don’t use long vents on my resonators.
How do do this on long pipes like you have?

Top Bottom