• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My achilles tendon snapped today

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be very careful extrapolating data from a sample size of ONE.

I wasn't extrapolating anything, just asking a question. I know of two other people with similar injuries while on statins, performing activities they had done for years, so I was curious. Of course, it's impossible to determine if statins were the cause or not. I also know a young woman who ruptured her Achilles tendon playing tennis, and she wasn't on statins. It is an extremely annoying injury.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wasn't extrapolating anything, just asking a question. I know of two other people with similar injuries while on statins, performing activities they had done for years, so I was curious. Of course, it's impossible to determine if statins were the cause or not. I also know a young woman who ruptured her Achilles tendon playing tennis, and she wasn't on statins. It is an extremely annoying injury.
And this is what is called anecdotal information and also correlation without causation.
What would the biological mechanisms be for these types of injuries?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Deleted member 65

There’s an increased risk of bloodclots while being treated as I’ve been having the walker ortos on for 8 weeks 24/7. Some are treated with statins to reduce risk of bloodclots.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Such a fuss over a simple question. I'm on a statin, and have mysterious reoccurring (though fortunately minor) injuries that don't occur when I take a break from the regimen. My cardiologist called statins the bane of his professional life, and said a lot of people in his experience have trouble tolerating them. He admitted he uses a statin and has pain-related side effects too, but said that it would be too embarrassing for a cardiologist to have a heart attack, so he stays on them.

I have been fascinated by how many studies are done on the topic, which I think is interesting.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There’s an increased risk of bloodclots while being treated as I’ve been having the walker ortos on for 8 weeks 24/7. Some are treated with statins to reduce risk of bloodclots.

But you weren't on statins when you suffered the injury, correct?

OP
D

Deleted member 65

But you weren't on statins when you suffered the injury, correct?
Correct, I was though offered to take part in a study where I would have a pneumatic pump massaging leg & connected to the ortos for 10 hours per day. After some thought I said no thx.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct, I was though offered to take part in a study where I would have a pneumatic pump massaging leg & connected to the ortos for 10 hours per day. After some thought I said no thx.

Good, no statins involved. I know it's stupid, but it would have been disconcerting to me if your answer was affirmative.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I most certainly hope that the members here offering medical advice and citing studies, have the required credentials to offer unseen online advice. If you mentioned a medical study to add credibility to your point. I ask that you provide links and citations so the reader can do their own due diligence.

If this thread continues in the direction it’s going now. Giving online medical advice, it Will get closed.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made my decision to not operate in dialogue with the surgeon at Karolinska Sjukhuset. and they also happen to elect the Nobel laureate in medicin (whatever that’s worth ... ;-) )

After Karolinska got their 5th placque, their banner was retired from the competition. I think all the other hospitals were just envious.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

I most certainly hope that the members here offering medical advice and citing studies, have the required credentials to offer unseen online advice. If you mentioned a medical study to add credibility to your point. I ask that you provide links and citations so the reader can do their own due diligence.

If this thread continues in the direction it’s going now. Giving online medical advice, it Will get closed.

Sorry Adam, there’s no medical advices in this thread whatsoever!!!!
This is my personal blog discussing the injury I had while playing badminton with my son. We’ve discussed various causes that could impact the likelihood suffering a rupture of the achilles tendon as I have.

Please remove your uncalled for post!
/Thx

AdamG

Forum Donor
Sorry Adam, there’s no medical advices in this thread whatsoever!!!!
This is my personal blog discussing the injury I had while playing badminton with my son. We’ve discussed various causes that could impact the likelihood suffering a rupture of the achilles tendon as I have.

Please remove your uncalled for post!
/Thx
It’s not a personal blog is it. My post and warning stands.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

It’s not a personal blog is it. My post and warning stands.

@amirm @AdamG247

I understand you have a difficult task as moderator. Sometimes maybe it’s a good idea to reflect a bit. I don’t want a conflict with you, take some time and reflect and I’m sure we’ll sort this out.

ASR definition of my blog below:

Member Area
Post thread
Feel free to use this area to create your own personal threads/blogs.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I have given this decision a great deal of reconsideration. What I believe is we just had a misunderstanding that morphed into an argument. I take responsibility for my part of this failure to communicate. I am walking back my decision to close this thread. I kindly ask that we stay focused on Lars’s injury and recovery.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have given this decision a great deal of reconsideration. What I believe is we just had a misunderstanding that morphed into an argument. I take responsibility for my part of this failure to communicate. I am walking back my decision to close this thread. I kindly ask that we stay focused on Lars’s injury and recovery.

Big of you. Seriously. Hopefully Lars will reconsider as well; these things happen, life goes on.

At a trumpet forum I help moderate we have banned all political and religious discussions and additionally a few years ago banned medical advice. All off-topic, led to endless arguments that were often quite vicious among those who should know better, and particularly for medical advice we had no way of vetting the poster or the advice. At one point the advice was not only wrong but dangerous and we pulled the plug.

Wishing Lars well! - Don

Top Bottom