• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Must have headphones

AMKAM

Hi guys,
Name 5 must have headphones for headphone enthusiast.
This could be categorized by price to performance or expensive ones too.
Just something that is so good and exceptional or even unique for its kind.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HD600/50 to taste
er4xr
(99% of people can stop there)
a grado of some kind -- i still believe people should experience them, even if they don't measure well
a planar with high bass response that retains soundstage
something closed

pursue something higher end with more of the character you like most from the above. after 20 years i ended up with an hd800s. in an open headphone (i can't stand closed headphones), i like the sennheiser sound the most

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,
Name 5 must have headphones for headphone enthusiast.
This could be categorized by price to performance or expensive ones too.
Just something that is so good and exceptional or even unique for its kind.

I'm a firm believer that headphone sound signature preference is individualistic. So it depends on the individual.

I also see the headphone (and audio) hobby as a journey. So you choose one headphone and see where it leads you next.

That being said, a headphone enthusiast could use a good headphone for mobile use/travel, a closed headphone for at home for when you need isolation, and an open headphone for when you don't.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
N90Q when on sale at Harmon for $299. 'Unique for it's kind'..:)
I tried everything to get one of those shipped to the uk, no dice.

Tachyon88

HD650
HD800/s
a planar you prefer
maybe a closed back ?
A crappy can to put everything into perspective when you get used to HIFI. I jut recently ot1990 EQ my HD598cs which made it sound better, but it sounds like a toy compared to my other headphones.

I want to know what a th900 bass is all about now.

Bullwinkle J Moose

HD650

a planar you prefer
maybe a closed back ?

I got vastly more enjoyment from the original Yamaha HP-1 Planar Magnetic headphones in 1978 than I had with the Hifiman Sundara
They seemed much wider and more open than Sundara's

I got them for free when I bought a top end cassette deck (I think they normally sold for $100)

Sundara is likely much better spec-wise but was not as enjoyable (going from memory - or more of a memory of the feeling I had)

The later versions of Yamaha's Planar headphones did not impress as much and the quality control seamed to slip in later revisions
(YH-1 and YH-3)

The only closed back planars I ever tried were the open backs with my hands cupped over the ears

Last edited:

seedragon

Forum Donor
Focal Clear. Superlative for the price category ($1,500).

Tachyon88

@Bullwinkle J Moose I have not heard any of these headphones. Send yours in to get measured ! ;p I am intrigued to see how the sundara performs though. I have an abyss diana V2 which is one sweet piece of gear, sounds really good to me, I use the ASR EQ with it, if not a bass boost for sure. Something about the way brass and symbols sound, sounds so life to me. WAAAAAY overpriced though, its a shame.

The dan clark stuff looks good for a closed back planar. Thats probably what I would get as far as closed planar. I really do not want another headphone with glued ear pads though. All of my cans have super easy swap-able ear pads with no glue. Probably not that big of a deal, but ehh. ;p For closed I am looking for a good clean dynamic punch that still sounds HIFI with some EQ adjustments. In hindsight I regret not getting a massdrop fostex th series. The TH900 price is absurd.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Superlux HD660 Pro?
:D

pinnaless measurement...for those that wonder... so a horizontal line = audible flat. 7kHz: +15dB

fr-150.png

post #4 conveys my sentiments.
When you would ask 10 different people you may get quite a few different lists, as seen in many of the 'recommend me' threads.
HD600/HD650/HD6XX may be one of the few that will be the most frequently mentioned ones.

Last edited:

buz

Forum Donor
HD600/650
HD800(S)
decent ANC cans for traveling (Sony or Bose)
True wireless IEM (Sony wf-1000xm3, possibly Galaxy Buds Pro or Airpods Pro)
Good cabled IEM (eg moondrop blessing 2)

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
AKG K371. Harman curve, deep bass, low power requirements. Maybe not the best, but probably the best with low power sources.

zythoun

I tried everything to get one of those shipped to the uk, no dice.

I bought one and shipped it to a shipito mailbox warehouse and reship it to France. I've bought a Drop He6se V2 at the same time, shipping for both was about 70usd, add 70usd of customs fees (I under estimated the total amount) and you have 2 extremely good open and closed headphones for less than 1000 Euros.

Top Bottom