• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Must have headphones

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD650
FostexT50rp - good benchmark for starter planars
BD T5

I think that for anyone "in the hobby", there is no excuse to not own a Stax headphone. Once I heard Stax, I didn't really bother with anything else. The older Stax headphones (and driver units) can be found for around 500$, and a brand new set of the entry level 252s driver united and SR-L300 can be had for around 800$ combined. To my ears, this sound is better than even the HD800. I think its the best "bang for buck" sound in the "pretty expensive" price range.

Edit: The OP asked for 5, so here they are!

Stax SR-L500mk2
Audeze LCD 2
Sennheiser HD800
Denon AH-D5000 / Massdrop TH-00
Stax SR-007

Reasoning:

Stax SR-L500mk2 is my current headphone and the one I prefer the most of all headphones I've heard to date
Audeze LCD 2 because it is very clean sounding, with a lot of bass and little listening fatigue. Minus points for comfort
HD800 because it has such a large and impressive headstage
Denon AH-D5000 / Massdrop TH-00 because it has a very fun sound signature that lends itself to many contemporary genres, while still being great for classical and more "treble focused" music. Fantastic allrounders
Stax SR-007 because it is one of the best headphones I've ever owned, with almost no flaws except maybe that I think the treble could be a bit brighter.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think everyone should listen to (maybe not own) sennheiser 800/800S.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I second all the recommendations for HD600/650, even the precursor HD580.
I consider them a "must-have" that everyone should listen to at least once because they are one of the cleanest most neutral headphones for the price.
Right now I am listening to HD580 that I bought in 1999. Several earpad and headband pad replacements, and a few cables, over the years of course. But they still sound great.

I second all the recommendations for HD600/650, even the precursor HD580.
I consider them a "must-have" that everyone should listen to at least once because they are one of the cleanest most neutral headphones for the price.
Right now I am listening to HD580 that I bought in 1999. Several earpad and headband pad replacements, and a few cables, over the years of course. But they still sound great.

I think if one does a fair comparison between a HD600 and any other dynamic headphone on the market today, one will be shocked at how cheap you can get what is essentially top of the line sound quality in most aspects, especially for classical/jazz/acoustic music - anything with real instruments, really.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if one does a fair comparison between a HD600 and any other dynamic headphone on the market today, one will be shocked at how cheap you can get what is essentially top of the line sound quality in most aspects, especially for classical/jazz/acoustic music - anything with real instruments, really.

You mean that any dynamic can do what the HD6// can do, or that the HD6// is the pinnacle of value for dynamics?

You mean that any dynamic can do what the HD6// can do, or that the HD6// is the pinnacle of value for dynamics?

The latter, althought that is of course completely subjective on my part. Any value judgement depends on so many subjective factors that its essentially meaningless for me to say so.

What I am trying to say is that there are loads of headphones costing many times as much as the HD6// which cannot be said to sound objectively better in any ways. Especially for the genres listed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The latter, althought that is of course completely subjective on my part. Any value judgement depends on so many subjective factors that its essentially meaningless for me to say so.

What I am trying to say is that there are loads of headphones costing many times as much as the HD6// which cannot be said to sound objectively better in any ways. Especially for the genres listed.

Thats what I thought you meant. Just checking!

MRC01

Major Contributor
... What I am trying to say is that there are loads of headphones costing many times as much as the HD6// which cannot be said to sound objectively better in any ways. Especially for the genres listed.
IMO, Sennheiser's own HD800 is an example! It sounds like something they made to please audiophiles who wanted something more expensive and exclusive than the HD600, and Sennheiser wanted to ensure it sounded different and "detailed" so they voiced it super bright, even if that perceived detail is artificial, and this response curve makes the headphone less transparent or true to the source.

I agree that the HD600 is the knee of the performance/value curve for neutral sound. There are some headphones that are better (objectively and subjectively), but they're only a little better and cost a lot more. To some (including me), that's worth it but it's not for everyone.

Xombul

Forum Donor
1618589594958.png

Sharur

I think that for anyone "in the hobby", there is no excuse to not own a Stax headphone. Once I heard Stax, I didn't really bother with anything else. The older Stax headphones (and driver units) can be found for around 500$, and a brand new set of the entry level 252s driver united and SR-L300 can be had for around 800$ combined. To my ears, this sound is better than even the HD800. I think its the best "bang for buck" sound in the "pretty expensive" price range.

Edit: The OP asked for 5, so here they are!

Stax SR-L500mk2
Audeze LCD 2
Sennheiser HD800
Denon AH-D5000 / Massdrop TH-00
Stax SR-007

Reasoning:

Stax SR-L500mk2 is my current headphone and the one I prefer the most of all headphones I've heard to date
Audeze LCD 2 because it is very clean sounding, with a lot of bass and little listening fatigue. Minus points for comfort
HD800 because it has such a large and impressive headstage
Denon AH-D5000 / Massdrop TH-00 because it has a very fun sound signature that lends itself to many contemporary genres, while still being great for classical and more "treble focused" music. Fantastic allrounders
Stax SR-007 because it is one of the best headphones I've ever owned, with almost no flaws except maybe that I think the treble could be a bit brighter.
https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory?ids=254,128,106

Sharur

i haven't tried the 600 but i thought the 6xx was too veiled. i think one can go either way between the hd600 and dt880 depending on if they want a warmer or brighter sound. https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory?ids=254,226

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Add AKG K612 to that list.

RHO

Major Contributor
I would say, if you really want to make this a hobby, I would get a K371 and an HD6XX. And learn how to read a FR graph (and other measurements!).
K371: to get a good idea about what the Harman target curve sounds like without having to get into EQ. And if you don't like it, it won't hurt you too much financially when you want to re-sell it.
HD6XX: To get a good feel of what a nice sounding open back headphone sounds like and what many people regard as a good sounding headphone. (your taste my vary!!) Not too expensive and easy to re-sell.

From these you can make a good evaluation of what your personal preference is.

IEM: If you can afford it, get the Blessing 2 Dusk. Maybe the best way to describe the sound is to combine the best parts of the K371 and HD6XX.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found the HD600 a bit claustrophobic and lacking in 'air'. Not that great for electronic music. Post-EQ I preferred the HE4XX, considerably wider soundstage and what I felt was better upper treble extension. But I agree everyone should at least try the HD600/6XX, especially fans of acoustic & vocal music.

Top Bottom