• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Musicality' of computer devices and components

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some have expressed incredulity over the concept of 'musicality' of a DAC or ethernet switch or other component (also mentioned was the (im)possible(?) 'whimsicality' of wines, but I won't address that one). Rather than take those equipment threads further off topic, I thought I'd start a new thread.

And to close this post, one for @amirm and his panthers haha!

OP
Hugo9000

Hugo9000

I thought this was going to be some nonsense about passive PSUs and better sounding disk drives. :)
I put it in the 'Other Areas of Interest'/'Fun topics' section haha! But I think a lot of people use the "New posts" view, so they don't notice the section a thread is in right off the bat! ;)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The classic DOOM:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

xykreinov

Forum Donor
This is a fun topic! I want to mess around with my MiniDSP IL-DSP to see how I can make something musical out of its distortion. It distorts the same way no matter how many run-through of a song I do when my source volume is too high. With that kind of consistency, I feel like I could do something interesting. Further, it only occurs when I use it in DSP mode, meaning it's caused by the frequencies I've raised to be above 0db. With that in mind, I could mess around with making/modifying music to distort only in certain frequency ranges I specify.

A800

All good.
But what about distortion measurements?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good grief "musicality" is one of the dumbest descriptors in audio ever.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Good grief "musicality" is one of the dumbest descriptors in audio ever.
What word would you use to describe an entity not originally intended to have its sound used musically that is later modified or arranged to be used for music in some capacity?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What word would you use to describe an entity not originally intended to have its sound used musically that is later modified or arranged to be used for music in some capacity?

That's a very weird question for audio generally. Gear should reproduce audio well, whether it's music or not really isn't the issue. Musicality is basically a bullshit term.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

What would an example of audio not intended as music that would be modified for music later?

xykreinov

Forum Donor
That's a very weird question for audio generally. Gear should reproduce audio well, whether it's music or not really isn't the issue. Musicality is basically a bullshit term.
Yes, but if what if certain gear not originally intended for music production was arranged to do such, such as the hard drive songs of an earlier post? What word would you use to describe such an attribute of the gear, if not musicality?

Top Bottom