• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Musical Fidelity M8s500s

Triliza

Forum Donor
We're not talking about ducks here. Nor about visual impulses. Nevertheless:
View attachment 231956
That's easy. I remember many years ago, I think it was that picture with a young and old women, I couldn't for the life of me see the old women.

@sngreen I am not knowledgeable enough to figure out what's going on with your setup, but the way you describe things, it seems that all the amps you have tried have the ability to apply EQ at will, something like the James Bond of amps. What is expected from an amp is to do its job, amplify the signal provided as is (within specs). If they can't do that, something is really wrong with them or they are intentionally designed that way.

OP
S

sngreen

That's easy. I remember many years ago, I think it was that picture with a young and old women, I couldn't for the life of me see the old women.

@sngreen I am not knowledgeable enough to figure out what's going on with your setup, but the way you describe things, it seems that all the amps you have tried have the ability to apply EQ at will, something like the James Bond of amps. What is expected from an amp is to do its job, amplify the signal provided as is (within specs). If they can't do that, something is really wrong with them or they are intentionally designed that way.
Nobody said 'they can not do that', just like nobody said the specs are always the same. How did you find the internet?

Triliza

Forum Donor
Nobody said 'they can not do that', just like nobody said the specs are always the same. How did you find the internet?
I hope somebody share their impression of the amp you are asking with you, I think it'll be a very good amp, considering sending it to Amir for measurements if you are in the US. Take care.

OP
S

sngreen

I hope somebody share their impression of the amp you are asking with you, I think it'll be a very good amp, considering sending it to Amir for measurements if you are in the US. Take care.
Thanks. I am in Central Europe and M8500 is insanely heavy. I would not bother to have it shipped. I am actually more interested in how its sonic qualities compare to the others, rather than the measurements. Nelson Pass is known to add deliberate distortions to his amps to make them sound more pleasing, and as many do know it, it does work. Same goes for many of the tube amplifiers, they do not measure well but they do sound sweet.

Gregm

Thanks. I am in Central Europe and M8500 is insanely heavy. I would not bother to have it shipped. I am actually more interested in how its sonic qualities compare to the others, rather than the measurements. Nelson Pass is known to add deliberate distortions to his amps to make them sound more pleasing, and as many do know it, it does work. Same goes for many of the tube amplifiers, they do not measure well but they do sound sweet.
FWIW, here's some experiential commentary from a short experience I had with an MF amplifier. It was the NuVista 800, not the M8500 -- sorry -- but it's probably not far from what your choice sounds like.
There was no critical listening, testing, etc, involved, just playing around at home with an amp on loan. So, what follows is my recollection of that experience!

It's an integrated so I didn't bother using my own preamp or volume control.
Overall I was favourably impressed with the sound and enjoyed my time with that MF; it was a pleasant experience, musically immersive if you will. As I remember it, it had clarity and fast swings from ppp to fff giving the impression of "speed"; the sonic style was subjectively clear and warm-ish (i.e. it wasn't what I believe you'd call "analytical), probably not far from what your Pass sounds like, but with more power and top-end. Of course its driving capabilities were undisputable (¬300W ? / channel) and it was very user friendly.
Generally speaking afaik MF has a reputation for making well-performing, reasonably priced (by hi-end standards) high-end equipment and the 800, while not cheap, was a good deal when compared to other hi-end brands' equivalent products (try buying 300W from CH Precision...).

Anyway, voila!

Top Bottom