• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Musical Fidelity M8s500s

sngreen

Hi Everyone,
Has anyone ever reviewed or compared to the other brands Musical Fidelity power amplifiers? Or does anyone have any experience with those? I keep reading people call them musical but there are no reviews out there whatsoever - wonder why.

In particular I am interested in M8s500s, and how it compares to Parasound A21+ and Benchmark AHB2.
  • MF M8s500s - available locally, and I have already listened to it in my home setup.
  • Parasound A21+ - would need to be ordered, but not a problem. I listened to its predecessor at my friend's house, could probably be a good second-hand deal, but not sure if I would warm up to it.
  • Benchmark AHB2 - Can be bought from Thomann, but this would imply value tax + shipping to Central Europe. No pre-listen, of course. Read some good reviews and some not so excited comments. I guess, depends.

Generally I prefer warmer but detailed and very present sound, smaller than my current class-A footprint, and more power. In my current setup the sound-stage is behind the speakers, transparent and layered. I understand MF are somewhat forward sounding, is this usually a desired trend?

I hardly listen to rock, mostly jazz or classical.

Speakers - various; JBL, Focal, etc.

Source; Linn LP12 to Pass phono and pre, or Matrix Audio ElementX to Pass line.

thanks.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally I prefer warmer but detailed and very present sound, smaller than my current class-A footprint, and more power. In my current setup the sound-stage is behind the speakers, transparent and layered. I understand MF are somewhat forward sounding, is this usually a desired trend?

You won't find those terms used favorably here. In fact it's universally accepted by the evidence based community that no one has ever heard a difference between amps when they're used below clipping levels. Recommend reading this post before spending any $ :

To your original Q, cost no object I'd be running dual AHB2's. But, it is, so I'd lean more toward nCore modules for the best price : performance value. They're a little cheaper than Purifi, most units can be bridged with a simple Y-cable for future proofing, and they have a proven track record. Here's measurements of my M6s PRX

A little better than an AVR amp in that they can output higher at 2/4 ohm, but otherwise nothing special. Better class AB can be had at 1/2 the price (Monolith).

Generally it's only worth upgrading your amp if it's broken or underpowered for your speakers/listening distance (typically in bass region). Room treatment followed by room correction is a better investment

OP
S

sngreen

You won't find those terms used favorably here. In fact it's universally accepted by the evidence based community that no one has ever heard a difference between amps when they're used below clipping levels. Recommend reading this post before spending any $ :

To your original Q, cost no object I'd be running dual AHB2's. But, it is, so I'd lean more toward nCore modules for the best price : performance value. They're a little cheaper than Purifi, most units can be bridged with a simple Y-cable for future proofing, and they have a proven track record. Here's measurements of my M6s PRX

A little better than an AVR amp in that they can output higher at 2/4 ohm, but otherwise nothing special. Better class AB can be had at 1/2 the price (Monolith).

Generally it's only worth upgrading your amp if it's broken or underpowered for your speakers/listening distance (typically in bass region). Room treatment followed by room correction is a better investment
Ah, that's why there are no reviews - they are all the same! :)
If saying so did it so, but it does not .. :(

I have FirstWatt (50W class-A) amp in the main system, one of the most pleasing amplifiers I have had to date. It's like the music is coming from a fog, from behind the speakers at you, and the most natural for the mids and the voices as well. But it is not without caveats. One is that it is very inefficient. Second it is not the strongest amp for the low end. And generally I would like to have something as an alternative for when I need more.

I tried several alternatives; NAD M23 - soulless and boring; MF M8s500s - forward sounding and lively. Super powerful, of course. But the thing I notice with it is that my many favorite pressings/recordings just do not sound the same. I duno, sometimes closer is better, and sometimes I wish it came across as a tad mellower. Maybe the amp needs to break in, as what they say, as MF do generally sound warmer and less analytical than many other brands and models out there.

Re. AHB2, there are good and not not so favoring comments out there. For one thing it has XLR inputs only. I do use XLR inputs, but without RCA it also means this amp can only be used in one setup but not in the other. There are also posts saying it does sound somewhat thinner in the mid-range. This is something I would not want to have. Not everything that sounds supper clean and resolving is always enjoyable. And thirdly, or course, there is no way to pre-listen to it. At this point I would not bother.

Parasound had been on my list for a while. I must say I am not 100% sure about it (that is why I am asking), how it compares to say.

Triliza

Forum Donor
If you spend often money on dacs, amps and the like, if you'll take a friendly advice, and since you don't have much trust in data and measurements, consider doing some blind tests with different equipment you have. You may be right, you may be wrong, only way to tell is conducting some proper blind tests in your own environment and see where it gets you. If you have friends that can give you some equipment for testing and comparison, even better. Just for fun, although such tests requires time, motivation and some money.

OP
S

sngreen

Just buy whatever sounds best to you. Clearly you have little interest in objective data.
That is the point, I do not know what much of the equipment I would be interested in sounds like. So I am asking, what do those who listened to it say.

OP
S

sngreen

If you spend often money on dacs, amps and the like, if you'll take a friendly advice, and since you don't have much trust in data and measurements, consider doing some blind tests with different equipment you have. You may be right, you may be wrong, only way to tell is conducting some proper blind tests in your own environment and see where it gets you. If you have friends that can give you some equipment for testing and comparison, even better. Just for fun, although such tests requires time, motivation and some money.
Measurements are fine, but they can also be misleading. What measures the best does not always sound the best. Purifi based amplifiers could not be a better example. Not that they sound bad, but they are not universally great either. Not in every system.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements are fine, but they can also be misleading.
So can your subjective impressions... More so, I would wager.
What measures the best does not always sound the best. Purifi based amplifiers could not be a better example. Not that they sound bad, but they are not universally great either. Not in every system.
Did you do an actual controlled test? Side by side, volume matched? Preferably blind?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Because you already have a preamplifier, your choices with amplification are wide. You are looking for a power amplifier I presume.

You also say you have various speakers (I can relate that...:facepalm:), so you will find amplifiers mate better with some speakers than others.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Did you do an actual controlled test? Side by side, volume matched? Preferably blind

With respect, the guy asked a question on Musical Fidelity and amplifiers in general. He's not here to be grilled.

The boorish, constant calls for controlled tests, blind-this and blind-that must drive people away. HiFi is supposed to be a relaxing window into a musical experience with competent equipment, not a day at the Spanish Inquisition.

1663576416558.png

:)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With respect, the guy asked a question on Musical Fidelity and amplifiers in general. He's not here to be grilled.
I don't see what is wrong with asking people if they ever performed a controlled test...
The boorish, constant calls for controlled tests, blind-this and blind-that must drive people away. HiFi is supposed to be a relaxing window into a musical experience with competent equipment, not a day at the Spanish Inquisition.
I can only respond to that with:
1*rlOoMsbLIp47B-dBaRyHVQ.jpeg

Triliza

Forum Donor

View attachment 231950

:)
You sure know how to make a point :)

Speaking for myself, the reason I commented is because I don't like people throwing away money on the quest for the audio holy grail. But that may be just me, my budget for audio is very limited atm (actually near zero), that may not be the case for other people, so why not, carry on and buy whatever you want. The other thing is "know yourself" or something like that, we are thinking adults, doesn't hurt to apply some science and critical thinking about our decisions. You can buy whatever you want, but it's good to know what you actually are getting, not what you think you do.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Throwing money away is fine I think, so long as you are aware that's what you're doing. I throw money away on bike parts, silly DIY audio projects, you name it. But I don't kid myself that it's worth it in any objective sense, I just do it because I can and it makes me happy.

Musical Fidelity amps? I've owned a few, they look great and meet their specs, which is more than can be said for some brands. Enjoy them for that if you can afford them.

Triliza

Forum Donor
I have a Musical Fidelity dac I still use, very pleased with it for many years now, their amp probably will be good also. The discussion and the argument here is how the op came to the conclusion that some amps (Purify) are not that good on some occasions and generally accounting to different amps totally different attributes. How did he came to this conclusion, by listening them side by side, from data, comment on forums, something else? People tend to challenge opinions they don't agree with.

OP
S

sngreen

Because you already have a preamplifier, your choices with amplification are wide. You are looking for a power amplifier I presume.

You also say you have various speakers (I can relate that...:facepalm:), so you will find amplifiers mate better with some speakers than others.
I know, not only they match differently, but surprisingly differenly, and it does not even relate to the price (like more expensive is better). Although generally there a trend that will sooner or later show on any system. Unless it is a complete mismatch, of course.

OP
S

sngreen

Musical Fidelity amps? I've owned a few, they look great and meet their specs, which is more than can be said for some brands. Enjoy them for that if you can afford them.
Nice, thank you. So I would not be missing anything then.

OP
S

sngreen

I have a Musical Fidelity dac I still use, very pleased with it for many years now, their amp probably will be good also. The discussion and the argument here is how the op came to the conclusion that some amps (Purify) are not that good on some occasions and generally accounting to different amps totally different attributes. How did he came to this conclusion, by listening them side by side, from data, comment on forums, something else? People tend to challenge opinions they don't agree with.
I had M23 (Purifi based) in my house and I was not impressed. At least when compared to the other amplifiers that I have, and to the overall presentation that I am used to. Maybe the amp just did not burn it, I don't know. I had it for the entire weekend, and it just did not feel like it would be worth giving 4k for.

The surprising thing about it, though, was that it woke up my Focal 948. I never heard so much bass from from this pari, and it sounded rather full and big. But then it instantly gave up on the more revealing speakers, no contest. Speaker matching? It sort of did everything and nothing. Very smooth and detailed, yet somewhat compressed - how can that be - there was no depth to the sound-stage whatsoever.

Never tried Parasound (not in my system at least). But MF is something interesting. I read that many people prefer forward sounding amplifiers, and from the first notes it came across very different to what I had expected from it. It's like the entire setup moved up to the middle of the living room, and did not come from behind the speakers as I had imagined it would. I am just not very used to it. So what do I miss, I wonder.

Last edited:
OP
S

sngreen

So can your subjective impressions... More so, I would wager.

Did you do an actual controlled test? Side by side, volume matched? Preferably blind?
Do you need to be told it's a duck when you see one?

Top Bottom