• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Musical Fidelity A1 mk3 and B200 vintage amps measurements

elberoth

I have just measured those two. The MF A1 has a cult following, and was designed by Tim de Paravicini

Here are the details:

1. Musical Fidelity A1 mk 3 (1994; 20W Class A amp according to the manufacturer), fully restored with modern parts:

dmHTgW.png

Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W]

1 channel / 2 channels:

8 Ohm 14W / 14W
4 Ohm 9W / 9W

Sensitivity (for maximum power) [V] 0.25
Signal / noise ratio (A-weighted filter, with reference to 1W) [dB] 92
Dynamics [dB] 102
Damping factor (relative to 4 ohms) 17

2. Musical Fidelity B200 ( ca. 1994; 60W Class AB amp according to the manufacturer), original condition:

Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W]

1 channel / 2 channels:

8 Ohm 113W / 85W
4 Ohm 111W / 74W

Sensitivity (for maximum power) [V] 0.2
Signal / noise ratio (A-weighted filter, with reference to 1W) [dB] 71
Dynamics [dB] 91
Damping factor (with reference to 4 ohms) 34

OP
elberoth

elberoth

Both amps get pretty hot (45-50'C). A1 just idling, B200 driving my Magico M3 speakers (at normal listening levels).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Are you sure the LF roll-off is not in your measurement system?

OP
elberoth

elberoth

Compare the A1 vs B200 FR plots. The B200 one does not have this early roll off.

This was done by a friend of mine, whom I've asked to measere those for me - he has been doing measurements for Polish AUDIO magazine for 20 years or so.

OP
elberoth

elberoth

I am glad to hear. As you may know, our regional audio shows in LA/west coast are a mess right now.

Yes, I've read about this. Could not stop shaking my head.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

The B1 was not that bad- I've swept them and that roll-off is not representative of the units I tested.

OP, please clarify the FR and THD sweep test parameters (1W, full power, arbitary level single channel/both channel?).

OP
elberoth

elberoth

I will check and let you know. Here you can see 250 amps measured (only a fraction of amps tested):

https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo

- most of them have ruler flat FR.

So I doubt this is a measuring setup error. It is also worth remembering, that the B200 is a 25 year old unit in original condition, so god knows how the 'lytic caps are doing inside.

If you have any B200 measurements on hand, please post them. I would very much like to see them and compare.

OP
elberoth

elberoth

I highly doubt (of course, everything is possible).

Two other components measured using our trusty Neutrik A2D:

$60k Soulution 710 power amp:
25222-max_soulution710_lab01.jpg

$500 Pioneer SX-N30 receiver:
40079-pioneer_sx_n30_fot1.jpg

OP
elberoth

elberoth

OP, please clarify the FR and THD sweep test parameters (1W, full power, arbitary level single channel/both channel?).

1. Frequency characteristics:

The reference level (0 dB) is 2.83 V output voltage. One channel measured.

2. THD + N vs power:

Distortion (+ noise) for the assumed output power range, from 0.1 W up to rated power. One channel measured.

Measured using Neutrik A2D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thank you. Main reason I asked is because the first two measurements I saw that you presented both had significant LF roll-off.

preth30

Hello, this is the first time I am writing in this forum. I have a MF A1-S (A1 signature series) and a B200 too. I have compared both side by side and I found that in spite of having a higher wattage in B200, the A1-s is a clear winner here with better definition in the mid and highs. The B200 is more of a neutral sounding amp having the lows mid and highs in a straight line, while the A1-s has a slightly forward mid which help in focusing more on the vocals which I like. What are your opinions on this. I would love to hear from you.

OP
elberoth

elberoth

The A1 I have is not a regular A1. It has been fully restored, with lots of new parts fitted and the famous A1 potentiometer issue corrcted:

http://ftbw.de/workshop/hifi-highend-service/musical-fidelity-fix-price/david2-revision.html

That said, my A1 sounds much cleaner, more transparent with more open hights than the B200. The B200 sounds almost closed in in comparision.

I could only wish the A1 had more power. It is OK if you are listening to chamber music or vocals. Speaker efficiency plays a big role here of course.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hello, this is the first time I am writing in this forum. I have a MF A1-S (A1 signature series) and a B200 too. I have compared both side by side and I found that in spite of having a higher wattage in B200, the A1-s is a clear winner here with better definition in the mid and highs. The B200 is more of a neutral sounding amp having the lows mid and highs in a straight line, while the A1-s has a slightly forward mid which help in focusing more on the vocals which I like. What are your opinions on this.

How did you do the level matching?

Top Bottom