• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

subframe

John Fogarty

J Giles Band

Some of the Beatles’ stuff

‘Rockin Blues’ like you hear bad bands playing badly at bars all over the USA every weekend

Classic rock in general makes me want to put something else on asap

Modern Country (bad pop with a worse accent)

Timmeon

Billy Joel, all
Bad Company, Feel Like Makin' Love
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sweet Home Alabama

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Mostly rap. It call it (c)rap.

There's a lot of music that doesn't excite me but there's not much I "hate"... My tastes have broadened over the years. I like almost anything live.

2. Creedance Clearwater Revival/John Fogerty:
Creedence was my favorite band when I was in high school. I still like to listen to them.

When they were popular I didn't hate them but I considered it "average pop music". Now it like it!

Bad Company, Feel Like Makin' Love
I've always liked Paul Rogers in all of his incarnations...

The Beach Boys are probably up there
Wow! Fun music! How can you NOT like music about cars, sun, and girls? :p

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe Ravel’s Bolero or the Pachelbel Canon. Certainly over-play has something to do with it. But I don’t hate Stairway, I just don’t need to hear it again.

I remember a song that was big when I was a kid-Melanie: Brand New Key. Made me groan and cover my ears. There was a lot of disco that was just noisome. “Ring My Bell” is a good example of grating disco.

I find Bruce Springsteen irritating, or boring at best.

I don’t really get Dave Matthews. Good band, but the songs mostly leave me empty.

Serialism, for the most part, is not enjoyable for me.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For some of you will be blasphemy, but I can't stand The Rolling Stones. I listen a lot of classic rock btw, among other things. I'll lie if I say I have tried, I don't want to, I had an immediate dislike for them from ever. As to why, I don't exactly remember as this happened more than two decades ago, probably their star self-importance, their involvement on the Woodstock incident, well, who cares.

+1 Bob Dylan
+1 Oasis
... and some more
Altamont. The Rolling Stones were not at Woodstock. And the Hells Angels stabbed someone to death. The Stones had nothing to do with it. They were playing at the time yes. Promoter hired the Angels for security. Sad for sure.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fortunately, my life has been organized to minimize exposure to music that grates the nerves. Taxis and Uber cars seem to be the primary weak link, along with the occasional bar or restaurant.

That said, Billy Joel and Elton John top the list. Along with rap and modern pop music. In my book, music has melody and is created by human beings playing actual instruments (not computer keyboards).

Axo1989

Major Contributor
There seem to be plenty of threads on favorite music: best female/male vocalists, best songs by era, discovered artists, well recorded, favorite this or that... but I've seen no threads on music you hate, or dislike if hate is too strong a word. Something you will turn off if it starts playing or you will not listen to.

I had a friend in the late 1970's and early 1980's that absolutely hated Jethro Tull. I don't know what it was about Tull he did not like but he would react violently if someone played Tull. We all knew it. We had another friend that tried to provoke him one day by playing Aqualung when we were partying together. This Jethro Tull hating friend jumped up, grabbed the record off the turntable, and pitched it across the room. It was hilarious.

So you're reaction does not have to be that severe but is there any music you do not like?

I'll go first...

1. Bob Dylan: I absolutely hate Bob Dylan's voice. It is physically repulsive to me. In my opinion he simply cannot sing. He should have stuck to the songwriter part of singer songwriter. He writes beautiful songs but ruins them by singing them.

2. Creedance Clearwater Revival/John Fogerty: John Fogert's voice grates on me. I cannot stand the nasally, whiny quality of his singing. A definite no for me. CCR put out some good songs but I simply cannot listen to them.

3. Conway Twitty/Merle Haggard: I have a very good friend that loves these old twangy country crooners. I cannot stand them. They don't grate on me like Dylan or Fogerty but they'll put me to sleep within minutes.

4. Metal with growling lyrics: I cannot stand growlers. Grrr - makes me cringe. Hate it all.

I know opinions are like a--holes, we all have them and they all stink except our own. These are my opinions. Care to share yours?

Which artists do you dislike?

Martin

Fun thread. Re your initial observations: 1) Dylan's voice doesn't bother me, I'm no aficionado but like some of his classic albums like Desire; 2&3) unfamiliar stuff but a quick dip into Creedance has me agreeing with you; 4) I'm not a metalhead really but I like a bit of growlo and screamo in metalcore and post-hardcore stuff.

On to my idiosyncratic dislikes in no particular order:

Dark Side of the Moon—after some nice experimental beginnings PF's renowned epic struck me as pretty ordinary, but there was worse to follow. The Wall was dim-witted tripe. I'm coming across these well past their era however, but I doubt a time machine would help.

Daft Punk—why I dislike this quirky French dance pop but rather like Air is a bit of a mystery to me, but there it is. Maybe it's the helmets. Maybe it's because Harder Better Faster Stronger strikes me as a twee version of the great nihilist soliloquy that opens Trainspotting. Maybe.

Anthem rock—Guns N' Roses and probably a whole lot of stuff that I've heard my Gen-X colleagues rave about but thankfully was too young to remember. Such tepid stuff. Would it hurt to play a minor chord sequence? Would it kill to try an interesting structure? Would it help to have an IQ? Apparently.

Autotune pop divas—the fungible MoR blancmange of Adele, Beyoncé, Britney, Celine, Doja, Lizzo, Megan Thee Stallion, Miley, Rihanna, Shakira, Shania et al. R&B, crooning. No better when guys do it actually (see below).

Ed Sheehan—though he's clearly a lovely guy and did a surprisingly fun collab with BMTH so I'm mellowing. But still no.

Bad Bunny—bland crooning shite like The Weeknd but with the added irritation of Spanish stylings. Really no.

The Weeknd—see above, but especially his Starboy with Daft Punk. Why (does it exist)? Like Ed a couple of his collabs (with Lana and FKA twigs for example) provide relief. But generally no. How is it better than saccharine boyband stuff?

None of this to be taken too seriously though. I mostly steer clear of this and more with little drama. And if you enjoy any/all of the above, ignore my taste and continue. :)

Timmeon

The sound of Billy Joel's music evokes visions of leathery cleavage tucked inside an Irish pub serving frozen fish sticks with plastic silverware in a Long Island strip mall with compact pearlescent Mercedes convertibles in the parking lot.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I have a hunch that this thread causes more heart attacks than a power blackout at a hospital… :D

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:eek: The whole 1950’s rock era rock’n’roll like rock around the clock . All this is shite .

I like most rock that came after that :)

D

Deleted member 48726

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)​

I listen to everything from classic to transcendental metal but ONE GENRE; Jazz. -I simply do not get it. I might as well be listening to pink noise. It sounds equally nonsense to me.
And yes, some may be offended and say "that's a blanket statement, you tosser! All jazz is not the same, you wanker!" -And yes, I admit that I can search for "jazz" on Spotify and get hundreds of results but it's just like listening to different kinds of deconstructed music randomized by a man with parkinson. o_O;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'd be interested in your definition of this genre, rather than depending on some stoopid google search.
I am guessing Levenslied is closer to Emo (vice-versa?) than anything else... but references to ColdPlay was hinted.
Levenslied example.. (typical Dutch folk music) A prime example is 'Andre Hazes' but there are much worse.

The wife hates 'the petshop boys'
I hate 'Prince'

AlfaNovember

P.S. I'm actually a little bit surprised the Grateful Dead haven't received any votes here!
Okay, I'll say it: I dislike the Grateful Dead.............'s third keyboard player. Brent Mydland and the whole MIDI era were uninteresting to me, and have not held up over time. Edit: Except for Bobby's lavender polos and short-shorts. That fit was clutch, as the kids say.

Top Bottom