• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

Svet Angelov

I guess you're not a dog person? :)

Odd reaction to some fairly conventional pop/rock that doesn't appear to have specific characteristics that negatively differentiate it from the mainstream of the sub-genre. I don't know if you are referring to the subject matter or the sonics of course. I have listened (as it happens) and was struck by the similarity of her debut album's opening track riffage in brutal to Elvis Costello's Pump It Up. I wasn't the only one, but Costello himself was entirely ok with it.
i LOVE dogs!..:)

I wouldn't bat an eye, usually, but her popularity makes her pretty hard to miss. I dislike the lyrics, the overdone 2000s popgrunge instrumentals (here's looking at you, mrs. Lavigne), and the fact that she can't sing. Just one of those artists that irk me for being famous, when they're run of the mill at best. Same with Billie Eilish..

JaccoW

I really, really hate sombre/moody covers of popular songs

I don't know who the artists are, but they're often heard in movie trailers:

Sounds like you would appreciate the joke genre of sad songs in major key to make them sound happy.

As opposed to the songs in minor key to make them sound sad.

Belgik

P.S. I'm actually a little bit surprised the Grateful Dead haven't received any votes here!
I never got to "hate" the Dead, but I never really knew them...(I used to be an Airplane fan) but...never "understood" the Dead ..

Belgik

when you thought his music is the scariest part lol..
[transl: "little boys"]
View attachment 276685View attachment 276686

Too many people here don’t know a damn thing about the history of rock and roll. Too young perhaps. But if you don’t want to sound like an ignoramus at least study the history like it’s anthropology. I don’t listen to the Beatles anymore but they are historically important.
I like much music from the latter 1960's and first half of the '70 decade but, much of it, I've heard so often that "they don't do anything for me". Luckily, there's Dylan, and the stuff I don't know and the historical classical challenges...

Soandso

IMG_0231.jpeg

Belgik

When I worked in record stores, I did everything in my power to appreciate whatever music was playing. Now that I'm retired, I find that just about anything new just doesn't work for me. Metallica and metal never did either, though on a certain level that didn't make sense to me as I really liked Punk while that was a thing. But now I'm mostly listening to Classical and pre-Classical music. And there's no reason to believe I'm missing out on anything - there's plenty of old music I haven't heard yet.
I read History a lot, and Classical is very much like digging into that: complex and, at times, fascinating.

StigErik

Forum Donor
I know for a fact that vegetarians and Meat Loaf are not compatible…..

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
The Dead and the army of Dead copycats. Acoustic water boarding without the breaks for air. I would rather listen to a feedback loop of a Darby Crash guitar riff.
Janis
Dylan
The Stray Cats

Ordin Aryguy

The Smiths - whiney Euro-trash. Is it only just me, or does everyone really want to punch Morrissey in the face?

Bob Dylan - pinch your nose and sing. "Wheee, Whaaaaaa, Wohhh, Whuh."

John Fogerty / CCR - whiney Cali-trash. Nails on a chalkboard.

Jazz - "Hey let's all play different songs together at the same time."

Kiss / Ghost / Mudvayne, Etc. - Anything where the makeup is more important than the music. If a blind person can can't appreciate it, you're not playing good music!

Last edited:
Top Bottom