• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music with amazing sub bass. Anything goes.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I love Nils Petter Molvaer's Khmer album (1998) on ECM...wonderful bass in many of the tracks. A real test. Makes my stock car speakers fairly unhappy.

I like him a lot but this is definitely my favorite album of his.

Khmer on Spotify

Sam1879

Attachments

• A753B61B-0DE1-4DCD-8CD9-29B55DE9A232.jpeg
    A753B61B-0DE1-4DCD-8CD9-29B55DE9A232.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Erich Kunzel and Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - The Imperial March from "The Empire Strikes Back"

Erich Kunzel and Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - Main Theme from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"

Dumdum

If you want some good weight… and don’t mind people knowing you play it

Justin bieber ‘sorry’ around a minute in

Linkin park and kiara ‘heavy’

Eminem ‘good guy feat jessie reyez’

7E14658D-854D-4C84-B1B2-FC1C3744E6C1.jpeg

Queen Mary ‘Francine thirteen’ is very good and quite musical and entertaining also!

MRC01

Major Contributor
Here's a natural acoustic recording of solo harp that captures the entire harp resonating at 24 and 27 Hz, notes G and A, at the start and several other points throughout.
Here's the YouTube link, but it doesn't do justice to the CD. It's not about power or loudness, but extreme depth and clarity. Some tranducers (whether speakers or headphones) will reproduce it, but most will only give the harmonics of those tones (at best) and very few do it justice.

Dumdum

Define "sub". Below 40 Hz? 30 Hz?
Otherwise we'll get suggestions with 60 Hz rap-thumps. That's not "sub-bass" in my book.
I suggest 40 Hz or lower, since it's rare for music to have energy below that.
Sub bass is below 80hz for me, if you want to play with very low stuff, my subs in the car do single digits… bring it on

Categorising all rap music like that is a bit off… good guy by Eminem is 20hz on the lowest tone… and you’ll think you’ve blown your sub after the first section… the sub bass cuts off in the mix for some reason and then comes back after a while

There is a whole heap of 40-20 in the playlist I copied, my playlist and the one I snap shotted are both designed to show off our car audio systems

Mine has a pair of efficient low power 15’s in IB breathing through a hole in the boot floor

It’s very entertaining and plays 7hz with enough vigour to move a 1500kg car about it’s far from loud mind, and peaks around 13hz

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically, I would like to agree with "meaningful music sound 40 Hz or lower".

I am always much impressed by huge pipe organ and the hall acoustics. I recently posted this topic in my project thread.
- Excellent Recording Quality Music Albums/Tracks for Subjective (and Possibly Objective) Test/Check/Tuning of Multichannel Multi-Driver Multi-Amplifier Time-Aligned Active Stereo Audio System and Room Acoustics; at least a Portion and/or One Track being Analyzed by Color Spectrum of Adobe Audition in Common Parameters: [Part-09] Organ Music; my post #641 on the project thread
including this spectrum of organ performance;
WS00004464.JPG

You can hear it on YouTube;

I wrote there;
In any way, we definitely need Large-heavy L&R excellent sub-woofers (SWs) of nice transient characteristics (speed) and precisely time-aligned with woofers (WOs). As for the XO (cross over) from SW to WO, the following three factors;
(1) selection of XO Fq
(2) slopes of low-pass filter for SW and high-pass filter for WO
(3) transient characteristics in Fq zone of SW-only, SW+WO, WO-only
should be measured and tuned "in total" as I have explored throughout this project thread.

For transient characteristics of SW and WO, you would please refer to my posts #495, #497, #503, #507. And please find the summary of time alignment tuning in my post #520. Also you may find the latest system setup configurations in my post #540 including the total Fq response curve measured at my listening position;
WS003807(z).JPG

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Sub bass is below 80hz for me, if you want to play with very low stuff, my subs in the car do single digits… bring it on
Basically, I would like to agree with "meaningful music sound 40 Hz or lower". ...
I agree @dualazmak. For me personally, 80 Hz is just plain old bass. Sub-bass starts an octave below that, so <=40 Hz is a good definition. I wouldn't say it's "rare" but at least "uncommon" to find it in music. Even most bass-heavy rock doesn't have much below 40 Hz.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Here's a natural acoustic recording of solo harp that captures the entire harp resonating at 24 and 27 Hz, notes G and A, at the start and several other points throughout. ...
For a totally different musical experience with sub-bass, most of Entheogenic's albums will put a smile on any sub-bass lover's face. Each album has a few tracks with musical stuff going on in the 30-40 Hz range. By musical I mean not just thumps but supporting tones and melodies. Sort of like what the organ does for the symphony in Saint Saen's 3rd. Which, BTW, has a great recording on Reference with the Kansas City Symphony directed by Michael Stern. The bass there is very well captured and realistic - not just booming out at you but subtly vibrating the air mass of the room, even though it's not loud you almost feel it on the skin of your face, as all proper sub-bass should :cool:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree @dualazmak. For me personally, 80 Hz is just plain old bass. Sub-bass starts an octave below that, so <=40 Hz is a good definition. I wouldn't say it's "rare" but at least "uncommon" to find it in music. Even most bass-heavy rock doesn't have much below 40 Hz.

Yes, agree. In my post here, I also shared full orchestra music having clear and vivid sound at around 40 Hz proven by spectral analysis;
WS004171.JPG

On YouTube, the sound is not optimal, though;

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After 23:44 of this wonderful YouTube video clip, the 3rd (finale) movement of Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto no.2 op.18 - Anna Fedorova - Complete Live Concert:

The 3rd movement (finale) analyzed by Adobe Audition 3.0.1;
WS00004499.JPG

Top Bottom