• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music to Cry For

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
J.S. Bach: Trio Sonata No.5 In C, BWV 529 - 1. Allegro: Ton Koopman (organ)

Just for reference, analyzed by Adobe Audition 3.0.1
WS002417.JPG

I have 12 albums (CDs and LPs) of JS Bach's complete Trio Sonatas for Organ performed by various organists with different organs. Among these, I like best this Ton Koopman's historical recording at Waalse Kerk (Church), Kristian Muller Organ of Oude, in may 1982 (digital remastered CD 447 277-2 ARCHIV); [I also have the original LP release of LP 52MA 0091-0092, though...]
20210627049.jpg

20210627051.jpg

This album is also very nice challenge to, and is fine tuning sound for, our audio system, and I have been always including BWV 525 Sonata No.1 E flat major in my audio/music sampler playlist.

Last edited:

Buster

CarmenOMR300shadowv2.png
Sound Liaison DXD Download
Gomes’ stylistic technique extends past the conventions of behind-the-beat phrasing. Listen to how she teases out the syllables, as if the lyrics themselves were musical notes, not just words on a page. On "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", she prolongs the vowel sounds through several shades of inflection. With her flawless pitch, the effect is entrancing. You might hear echoes of Billie Holliday, but her vocal sound has developed well beyond imitation to distinctive individuality.

The ensemble Carmen Gomes, Inc. is more than a singer and a backing group. Bassist Peter Bjørnild, whose session notes are posted on the Sound Liaison website, produced the record and arranged the songs in collaboration with Gomes, guitarist Folker Tettero and drummer Bert Kamsteeg. Tettero plays an archtop semi-hollow body guitar that has a warm timbre; his stylistic ears are well-tuned to blues idiom, especially the minor-key blues of the mid-1960s. Kamsteeg uses brushes throughout, and keeps superb time without ever overpowering the singer or other players. In bassist Peter Bjørnild, Gomes has found the deep instrumental 'voice' that complements her vocals, the glove that perfectly fits the hand. Their musical partnership is longstanding, and the trust that only years can bring is clearly in evidence.

The decision to record with a single-point stereo microphone came about after the group had already finished a recording session done with conventional multi-mic technique. The late delivery of a Josephson C700S stereo microphone prompted a test recording of a single tune; an afterwards, engineer and label co-owner Frans Rond was so convinced that the sound qualities of that track should be heard on a full recording, he reconvened two more sessions that consisted of the group's working repertoire, done almost entirely in single takes. Those sessions were recorded at MCO Studio 2, Hilversum, The Netherlands, on 26 October and 15 December 2018, in DXD 352.8 kHz. As Bjørnild explains: "With only one mic… mixing was no longer possible. We would have to make the complete sound stage right there by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away, as well as left and right, in relationship to the microphone."

With an engineer of the capabilities of Frans Rond, mixing is no longer needed. The careful placement of the musicians and the control of group balance makes "Don't You Cry" one of the best-sounding "live in the room" audiophile recordings I've heard.

Not surprisingly, site listeners awarded "Don't You Cry" NativeDSD Vocal Album of the Year for 2019. I eagerly await the next release from Carmen Gomes Inc.

Mark Werlin

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I Fall In Love Too Easily · THOMAS ENHCO TRIO;

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adagio: Karel Boehlee Trio;

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fields of Gold by Eve Cassidy

I highly appreciate your sharing this link with me (and all of us here)... I deeply impressed in tears with this, especially today September 11. I lost a few of my best friends and colleagues in NY on 9.11 in 2001...

Today, for the memory of them, I also repeatedly listened to this.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I meant to include the song "After All" sung by Luisa Sobral on her CD "The Cherry On My Cake". Alas, I could not find a recording on YouTube to link to, but it is almost certainly available on all the streaming services. Beautiful words and beautifully sung, expressing a stage of grief at the loss of a loved one, between sorrow and acceptance, all the more moving for its understated melancholia. She performed it live on Jools Holland once, but I cannot find the video of that on YouTube either. Her song "Clementine", which you can indeed find on YouTube, is also a moving song. Luisa Sobral is a Portuguese singer, but sings primarily in pop/jazz and not in the fado tradition as far as I know.

Then there are classics, of course, such as Eleanor Rigby, Miss Otis Regrets, Willow Weep For Me, Harry Chapin's Cat's In The Cradle, Jerry Jeff Walker's Mr. Bojangles, Bread's The Guitar Man, The Summer Knows (from the movie Summer of '42), Windmills Of Your Mind (from the movie The Thomas Crown Affair), ...... the list goes on ...... And that is just in the English language.

Some movies have certainly moved me to tears. Music? Not usually intrinsically, but perhaps sometimes through an association with some personal memories. But some music can certainly fit and intensify my occasional melancholy mood. Examples:

Fairport Convention / Sandy Denny play "A Sailor's Life" off the CD Unhalfbricking

Fairport Convention / Sandy Denny play "Crazy Man Michael" off the CD Liege and Lief

Bella Hardy sings "Cruel Mother" aka "The Greenwood Side" on the CD In The Shadow Of Mountains

Cat Stevens sings "Sad Lisa" on the CD Tea For The Tillerman

Miki Howard covers "Strange Fruit" on the CD Miki Sings Billie

Emily Sangder sings "It Never Entered My Mind" from the 1940 Rodgers and Hart musical Higher And Higher

Carla Bruni sings ABBA's "The Winner Takes It All"

Bobby Goldsboro sings his big hit "Honey" live

Cassandra Wilson sings "I'll Be Seeing You" on her 2015 Billie Holiday tribute CD Coming Forth By Day

Bobby Gentry sings "Ode To Billie Joe" live on the BBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv33eaygVDQ

Rebecca Ferguson covers "Don't Explain" on her 2015 Billie Holiday tribute CD Lady Sings The Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX5q24kZRRU

Jacqui Hamilton covers Janis Ian's "At Seventeen"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezdETwVSQY

Laura Fygi covers Don McLean's "Vincent (Starry Starry Night)" on her CD Jazz Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pHRrX7LwlY

Barbra Streisand sings Johnny Mercer's "Autumn Leaves" which was based on Joseph Kosma's "Les Feuilles Mortes" (french), on her 1966 CD Je m'appelle Barbra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiRvvorZ4ic

Elina Duni covers Leo Ferre's "Avec Le Temps" on her CD Baresha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKDugc9E7o

Soprano Anita Rachvelishvili has a new CD out, titled "Elegie", which includes some melancholy songs.
View attachment 146197View attachment 146196

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Antonín Dvořák's Songs My Mother Taught Me always does it for me.

This recordings is without vocals, but a singable translation of the Czech would be

Songs my mother taught me, In the days long vanished;
Seldom from her eyelids were the teardrops banished.
Now I teach my children, each melodious measure.
Oft the tears are flowing, oft they flow from my memory's treasure.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Henry Purcell: No stars again shall hurt you from above, Z. 631 | Jean Tubéry & La Fenice​

Even though I shared this link also at here...
I sing in bass part in our church choir, and I have a dream of siging this beautiful piece with a soprano singer and our choir someday....

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And one more from the wonderful concert,

Henry Purcell Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary Jean Tubéry​

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Mahler 2: Last 10 minutes
Wagner: Lohengrin Act 1 Prelude
Carole King: It's too late
Beverley Craven: Promise Me
Mozart/Zauberfloete: In diesen heiligen Hallen

I could go on for hours, but then a puppy in a tv commercial could set me off...

vilnis

composition from the Riga film studio 1970 year film "Son of Klāvs Mārtiņš", fragments of which are used in the clip
Original
Emotions will be released by knowing the story of the film and understanding the language

Last edited:

NepinMn

Lots of opera here. I'll go another direction. Guitar solos can really get me-Rush 2112, the solo toward the end of that song just evokes tremendous sadness. At the 16 minute mark.
All along the watchtower riff, especially at the end of the song as the music fades and as Jimmy keeps going. Gives me goosebumps.

Top Bottom