• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

music that sounds good and music that sounds bad

musica

Due to my health conditions (infantile cerebral palsy) and living in a small village, I have not had the opportunity to listen to live music, except at town festivals, I have had the opportunity to compare various electronics with competent people who help me understand the differences. I like all the music a bit, especially pop, classical and jazz and a bit of electronics. with these headphones HD 600 and fidelio x2hr and akg 280 porabolic and with the V DAC II as a dac and a SABAJ A10h as an amplifier, how do I know if I listen in h-ifi, are there any methods of comparing what I have? thank you

help me understand with music videos
there is music that sounds good and music that sounds bad regardless of my electronics and so or not?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi and Welcome to ASR.

One thing that will make you derive the best out of yourheadphones is EQ, as in equalizing your headphones to be as xlose as possible to a scientifically derived "curve". If you source is a PC then you are in luck as there are software that would help you in EQualizing your headphones ot this curve...
These are:
EQ APO Download HERE.
And you use this software/App to control it. PEACE , Click HERE

List of Amir's Headphone PEQ filters for the headphones that were reiewed by ASR​

for the headphones that were reviewed by ASR.

A more extensive list is that one from

[PSA] - oratory1990's list of EQ Presets : r/headphones

Settings for your headphone are likely in it ...

The difference EQ bring to headphones, is to me, startling... I have come to believe, that except for a handful of headphones, EQ is mandatory. Regardless of price.

Enjoy the music

Peace.

OP
M

musica

from 1.42 to 2.05 then from 3.50 to 450 for me it's just noise
I want to know if it feels so bad for you too?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't sound like noise, but I don't find it particularly pleasant either.

How do you find something that is purely vocal (this makes the hairs stand up on my forearms :))...

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Suggest you listen to different types of music with your equipment, not just vocal music...that may help you decide whether equipment is an issue rather than music type.

"Bad" recordings are bad recordings even if played on good equipment... Highly-compressed modern commercial recordings will be harsher with good/better equipment...

I personally like jazz better than classical music (or rock) to evaluate setups...bass and treble considerations very clearly heard, etc.

If the high frequencies are causing you pain...have a setup that lets you adjust the treble downward...nothing wrong with that if it is annoying to your ears!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I didn't like the way her voice sounded at all. Maybe some kind of less than ideal mic issue, but pretty rough for me too.

Have you found many songs or singers or bands that you really like?

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Due to my health conditions (infantile cerebral palsy) and living in a small village, I have not had the opportunity to listen to live music, except at town festivals, I have had the opportunity to compare various electronics with competent people who help me understand the differences. I like all the music a bit, especially pop, classical and jazz and a bit of electronics. with these headphones HD 600 and fidelio x2hr and akg 280 porabolic and with the V DAC II as a dac and a SABAJ A10h as an amplifier, how do I know if I listen in h-ifi, are there any methods of comparing what I have? thank you

help me understand with music videos
there is music that sounds good and music that sounds bad regardless of my electronics and so or not?
I suggest you tell us what classical you like and we can fill your drive with tons of similar music.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like what Joe Smith said. If you mean what is the best sounding music, that's easy, its the music that moves you to hear it again. If you are trying to understand what differentiates a good recording from a bad recording, I suggest listening acoustic recordings not electric instruments that were meant to be played through amplified speakers and smaller groups so its easier to hear each player. Listen for the sharpness of the attack on the drums or piano keys, the decay on solo instrument note and transient ring on cymbals and strings. Some record labels are known for dynamic and clean recordings; Chesky, MA Recording, Waterlily, 2L, ECM, many classical labels like Naxos and others. I have tried various streaming services and find that Qobuz sounds as good as the many CDs I own when comparing them. I agree that exploring different genres is a very good thing. I too, like Jazz so try KCSM.org 24/7/365 internet radio no commercials if you like jazz. Good Luck

OP
M

musica

I like music, where various surprise instruments come out and enter the song, this amuses me a lot, then it must be cheerful and enthralling music, that is, it must involve me, with deep and full-bodied bass, clear and present mids and high details you could show me some song?
thank you

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like music, where various surprise instruments come out and enter the song, this amuses me a lot, then it must be cheerful and enthralling music, that is, it must involve me, with deep and full-bodied bass, clear and present mids and high details you could show me some song?
thank you

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thank you

One of my test songs.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I didn't like the way her voice sounded at all. Maybe some kind of less than ideal mic issue, but pretty rough for me too.

Have you found many songs or singers or bands that you really like?
What a Diva! Incredible voice.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what do you test with this song?
Sound quality of my system.

Bass balance. It's a check on making sure I don't have the bass too hot after coming from other songs.

It's also a center imaging test.

Overall balance. Same with the other song.

Last edited:

Rescue911

Sorry, but, you have something either with the equipment or with hearing.
Perfectly mixed record! The choirs are just amazing!
PS You need to listen not on YouTube, but at least in Tidai/Qobuz.
IMHO!

Last edited:
OP
M

musica

Sorry, but, you have something either with the equipment or with hearing.
Perfectly mixed record! The choirs are just amazing!
PS You need to listen not on YouTube, but at least in Tidai/Qobuz.
IMHO!
under the heading it's all a mess for me

OP
M

musica

Sound quality of my system.

Bass balance. It's a check on making sure I don't have the bass too hot after coming from other songs.

It's also a center imaging test.

Overall balance. Same with the other song.
in the second song is the bass distorted?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thank you

Shortly after reading your post, I happened to stumble across this. Not quite my taste, but seems to be well made and I thought you might like it: https://fellowshipmetal.bandcamp.com/album/the-saberlight-chronicles

Also, more on topic:
This is a very good sounding song with very dry bass, a clean mix and lots of special effects that make the sound seemingly go around you a bit:

This is a great song, but it sounds not good, because it is massively compressed and has no dynamics/seems lifeless, lots of details are just buried in the mix:

Top Bottom