• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music streaming interface

Photony83

Hello everyone:
I maybe went about this backwards but I got my speakers, amp, DAC/DSP, but I am not sure which way is the best way to control everything.

Ideally I would like to use my iPhone or iPad to be able to graphically see my albums and songs streaming from my NAS drive.

I own the Minidsp SHD but on wireless the volumio app doesn't connect to my phone. It works only if I have an ethernet cable plugged in.
my temp solution is to use a old MacBook which has a broken screen hooked up via HDMI to a TV and using a wireless Logitech trackpad/keyboard to run it though JRiver media player. the keyboard and trackpad sucks (compared to the trackpad of any Mac)

What would be a good solution to enable like a graphical interface to stream my music? I don't have tidal or Qobuz. I don't know much about Roon but can I run it without a subscription service if I just need it for my local music storage?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everyone:
I maybe went about this backwards but I got my speakers, amp, DAC/DSP, but I am not sure which way is the best way to control everything.

Ideally I would like to use my iPhone or iPad to be able to graphically see my albums and songs streaming from my NAS drive.

I own the Minidsp SHD but on wireless the volumio app doesn't connect to my phone. It works only if I have an ethernet cable plugged in.
my temp solution is to use a old MacBook which has a broken screen hooked up via HDMI to a TV and using a wireless Logitech trackpad/keyboard to run it though JRiver media player. the keyboard and trackpad sucks (compared to the trackpad of any Mac)

What would be a good solution to enable like a graphical interface to stream my music? I don't have tidal or Qobuz. I don't know much about Roon but can I run it without a subscription service if I just need it for my local music storage?
I've been through a lot of streamers and if you're planning to use the digital output from the device I would suggest you choose one that provides easy setup, a stable wireless connection, and easy to use interface. I've ended up with the Node2i. The unit provides the graphical interface you're after, connection could not be easier or more stable, and warranty work if needed is easy to come by (in contrast to the chifi products, including Matrix). It includes Spotify Connect, Roon, bluetooth and AirPlay2.

The Roon Nucleus can serve as a streamer but is pricey and you can't get around the subscription fee. It also is geared more towards Tidal and Qobuz users but it would give you a great deal of metadata. You might try it for a few weeks free and see how it works for you.

If you haven't already there are a number of threads on this site regarding streamers that would help. The Yamaha WXC-50 is another good choice and is a bit cheaper than the Node. Audio quality is not the issue if you're using the digital out into your DAC.

Sashoir

Forum Donor
I'm no expert (barely even a novice), and I'm not an iOS user, but I think the Linn application will pobably suit your requirements. It would be driving your SHD as an universal plug and play renderer to your NAS as a UPNP server. It's free (It doesn't need Linn equipment; which is decidedly 1/free), stable, and I alternate between it (or the android version, at any rate) and bubble UPNP (which I believe is not on iOS).
Forgive me if I've misconstrued your requirement.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone:

For a free application I’d try moOde (on a Pi), although I found Volumio also worked reasonably well. Run minimserver on your NAS, and that gives you a lot of control point and streamer possibilities.

https://moodeaudio.org/
https://minimserver.com/index.html

I always connect my players via Ethernet anyway, just to avoid issues with hi-rez files.

Zensō

Major Contributor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The minidsp doesn't do wireless very well with that little dongle, why not keep it wired by ethernet cable?

BillG

Major Contributor

Do you like what you see below?

Please see the attached screenshots. In them I'm streaming from my server (a Windows 10 PC) via an Android mobile to a Goggle Chromecast using the following:

https://emby.media/

By the way, Emby is available for a variety of NAS units and iOS as well. One isn't limited to Google Cast with it as it supports UPnP/DLNA and AirPlay as well.

It's ideal for someone who just wishes to stream from a home server and even includes remote access in the freeware version. The freeware version may actually fulfill all your requirements, unless you plan on streaming to more than 7 devices which is its limit.

Screenshot_2020-12-21-15-42-26-74.jpg
Screenshot_2020-12-21-15-43-23-02.jpg

Top Bottom