• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music Streamer for Digital out - Sonos Connect, Bluesound Node 2i, or something else?

jtremble

Hey - dumb question regarding music streamers. I have been using a Sonos Connect for the past few years to stream my ripped CD library, as well as Spotify and Tidal streaming. I have been feeding the digital out from the Sonos Connect to a coax digital in to allow the receiver to perform the D/A conversion. I have a couple of quick questions as I am putting together equipment for my dedicated music room / HT.

1. I am assuming that if I am using Audyssey that the receiver will need the the signal to be digital to perform the Audyssey correction... so I'd assume that I am better off sending it a digital signal from the streamer to avoid multiple D/A conversions.

2. If I am using the Digital out, would a BlueSound Node 2i provide a higher quality signal than a Sonos Connect? Or is either one just sending the same digital info along to be decoded?

3. Are there any other streamers I should be looking at, if I am just using the the Digital out and not the streamer's internal D/A that 1) just work and 2) don't break the bank?

Thanks

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
If your Sonos Connect is not broken and you do like the Sonos apps, it could be a waste of money to upgrade. I think the Connect does match the sound quality SINAD wise to most of av receivers.

In any other way, IMO and for your use case, one can never go wrong with a Raspberry Pi and a digital out HAT. Either from Allo (Digione) or Hifiberry (Digi+). You will find tons of information on how to build one online. It is really easy, at a fraction of the cost and the sound quality will not alter from Bluesound or Sonos devices. One of these will maybe have a more pleasing user experience.

Top Bottom